Is Mineral Oil Drying for the Hair?

tryn2growmyhair

The reason I ask is that a lot of conditioners that I have bought have mineral oil in them, LeKair Cholesterol, Hollywood Beauty Cholesterol, Humecto, even Humectress.

Is mineral oil drying? If so, why do all of these companies put this -ish in their products? I know it is cheap but if it isnt good for us, I wish they would not cut corners.

Are their cheaper deep conditioners that you would all recommend that do not contain mineral oil? I used Kenra MC and liked it but it is kind of pricy.

bajanplums1

I'm no chemist, but I believe that the mineral oil creates a seath over the hair and traps in the other ingredients. I think if you used solely mineral oil there would be no benefits and no moisture.

A cheap conditioner with no mineral oil: Cream of Nature (purple label) ($5) and ElastaQP Deep Penetrating Remoisturizer-11 (DPR-11) ($6). www.elastaproducts.com

Last edited:

Angelicus

I used to be anti-mineral oil too. I read ingredient listings a lot and try to refrain from stuff that has it as the first or second ingredient.

Point blank, mineral oil is cheap, so companies use it.

I have used petroleum/mineral oil products to seal my ends daily. Some of my favorite deep conditioners contain mineral oil also. if you are a daily washer, i don't think you should have a problem with it.

Do what's best for you-- if it's terrible on your tresses, avoid it.

Cheap Conditioners not containing mineral oil or petroleum: Suave Professionals Humectant Conditioner (moisturizing), Hi-Pro-Pac (Protein), Mayonnaise from the fridge mixed with eggs (protein), Yogurt (Protein), Pantene Relaxed and Naturals Conditioner (moisturizing); Any conditioner mixed with olive oil (moisturizing).

HTH

buffalosoldier

My hair doesnt seem to mind petroleum but products with mineral oil can dry it out, esp if it is close to the top on the ingredients list.

But, some good high end products use it and I have no problem eg, sebastian laminates. Mineral oil used correctly in a quality product can give your hair a nice smoothness.

Try elasta qp humectant that is quite moisturising IMO. Personally, I stick to the high end stuff cos they are worth the extra money.