Is Lead Acetate as harmful as they say? (KalaKola spin-off)

Candy_C

I used the KalaKola Indian hair tonic..and i SWEAR it changed my hair for the better. i only used it once, then researched "sugar of lead" and was scared, clarified and everything, yet i can still smell the sulphur of the product in my hair (it has a high sulphur content) and my scalp just feel great and feels much more softer yet stronger.

I think this stuff could give serious growth, i jus dont want to damage my body with lead...

help!

i don't know but if it's anything like the lead in paint i would stay away from it candy.

i'm curious as well as i see many ladies have raved about this product. hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump in.

Some hair dyes have lead acetate as well. If I see lead as an ingredient I'm staying away from it.:)

i just did a search and found this...

Precautions
Lead is a poisonous metal that can damage nervous connections (especially in young children) and cause blood and brain disorders. Long term exposure to lead or its salts (especially soluble salts or the strong oxidant PbO2) can cause nephropathy, and colic-like abdominal pains. The historical use of lead acetate (also known as sugar of lead) by the Roman Empire as a sweetener for wine is considered by some to be the cause of the dementia which affected many of the Roman Emperors. At one point in time, some lead compounds, because of their sweetness, were used by candy makers. Although this has been banned in industrialized nations, there was a recent scandal involving lead-laced Mexican candy being eaten by children in California (http://www.ocregister.com/investigations/2004/lead/part1_printable.html).

[edit]
Health effects
Main article: lead poisoning

The concern about lead's role in mental retardation in children has brought about widespread reduction in its use (lead exposure has been linked to schizophrenia). Paint containing lead has been withdrawn from sale in industralised countries, though many older houses may still contain substantial lead in their old paint: it is generally recommended that old paint should not be stripped by sanding, as this generates inhalable dust.

Lead salts used in pottery glazes have on occasion caused poisoning, when acid drinks, such as fruit juices, have leached lead ions out of the glaze. It has been suggested that what was known as "Devon colic" arose from the use of lead-lined presses to extract apple juice in the manufacture of cider. Lead is considered to be particularly harmful for women's ability to reproduce. For that reason many universities do not hand out lead-containing samples to women for instructional laboratory analyses.

iv read load'a rave about it too... damn i wanted to try it!:(

hey candy. i asked my chemistry teacher about this and she said it is an "ion" of lead and has the same impact so please be careful!

dementia...fertility problems... uh uh girl :eek: throw that stuff away!:eek: You are gettin' enough growth with your diet and supplements-- lets not get too greedy now!:lol: :lachen: :lol:

I have family members(older mostly) that have used Kala Kola for years to darken their hair and there haven't been an adverse affects.

Lead Acetate in full concentration is toxic, but there isn't enough content in Kala Kola to cause harm. As with other dyes, the FDA would have to, or at least I would hope they would label any product that has high levels of any harmful chemical. Relaxers contain a harmful chemical, but all they can do is warn you. If you INGESTED large quantities of Lead acetate you might have a problem, or POURED highly concentrated Lead Acetate Hair dyes on your head everyday you might have a problem, but I am just guessing here, and I do believe that the sulphuric content is higher than the lead and I don't think there is a problem there. I didn't get into the research, but isn't Lead Acetate something harmful it's pure crystalline form and when mixed with water at a low concentration it's safe:confused:.. But do your research, check the label and the brand maker and discontinue if you feel scared. Lead Acetate is also used in some Ayurvedic Medicial practices.---not gonna kill ya:)

Back