Is it True what Stylist say about split ends?

seraphim712

I'm sorry for starting so many threads, it's just that I have so many questions to ask. There's so much to learn!!!:)

I remember that when went to my stylist for a wash and blowdry, it was after he did the routine of washing, deep conditioning, and then blowdrying that he mentioned that at least four inches of my hair needed to be cut off. Bear in mind that my hair stops at the mid part of my neck(not sure how long it is right now since I haven't straightened it), so cutting off four inches would bring to middle of my ear. After he dryed my hair, it was straight from the roots on down but frizzy at the ends which he said that needed to be cut off. He also mentioned while flat ironing my hair that the burning smell came from my frizzy ends. Personally I thought it was the residue on the flat iron;)

I just want to know if he was telling the truth about my ends and if I should let him cut the frizzy part off to what he calls the healthy part of my hair, or if he's just scissor happy. I notice that when he flat irons my hair, however that the ends look the same as the 'healthy' part of my hair. I just don't want to make a mistake. The women with mid-length to waist length hair don't seem to get their hair trimmed, so I wonder if I'll be doing the right thing if I don't let him trim my hair.

Advice please!!!

seraphim712 said:
I'm sorry for starting so many threads, it's just that I have so many questions to ask. There's so much to learn!!!:)

I remember that when went to my stylist for a wash and blowdry, it was after he did the routine of washing, deep conditioning, and then blowdrying that he mentioned that at least four inches of my hair needed to be cut off. Bear in mind that my hair stops at the mid part of my neck(not sure how long it is right now since I haven't straightened it), so cutting off four inches would bring to middle of my ear. After he dryed my hair, it was straight from the roots on down but frizzy at the ends which he said that needed to be cut off. He also mentioned while flat ironing my hair that the burning smell came from my frizzy ends. Personally I thought it was the residue on the flat iron;)

I just want to know if he was telling the truth about my ends and if I should let him cut the frizzy part off to what he calls the healthy part of my hair, or if he's just scissor happy. I notice that when he flat irons my hair, however that the ends look the same as the 'healthy' part of my hair. I just don't want to make a mistake. The women with mid-length to waist length hair don't seem to get their hair trimmed, so I wonder if I'll be doing the right thing if I don't let him trim my hair.

Advice please!!!

Oh HELL NO, I say! If you have frizzy ends (especially 4 inches), there are several ways to treat them without cutting them off. Garnier Fructis has several good products that will get rid of frizz and treat damaged hair, and I know several ladies here have mentioned other helpful products. Also, you could try using a reconstructor and some good oils (like Amla, coconut, etc.) on your hair. If heat is the problem for your hair, I'd say lay off the heat as well.

seraphim712 said:

Advice please!!!

It's really hard to tell tell, but I would try a few things before trimming it all:

Rollerset your hair. After I do this, my ends are the smoothest they ever get. When I had frizzy ends, I could tell what needed to go by rollersetting and chopping what remained frizzy.

Four inches IS a lot of hair. Is there a possibility that your ends are underprocessed/color treated/whatever? In any event, I would rollerset, and moisturize your hair well (deep conditioners).

Hope that helps!

I agree. I had some rough ends and my stylist mentioned it. But with some TLC and good moisturizer my ends look really good now. Something else to keep in mind, my stylist said when you have new growth is pushes your hair cuticle open so that the ends will look a little more frizzy then normal. That's why some women who use indirect heat like a rollerset will find their hair response better than airdrying.

seraphim712 said:

.. He also mentioned while flat ironing my hair that the burning smell came from my frizzy ends. .quote]

I'm not sure about your needing a trim but burning and frizzines don't go hand in hand. I don't trim regularly so some of my ends are frizzy but there is no burning smell when I flat iron. That just means the heat is too high or sometimes something will stick to the iron and give that smell (hopefully not your hair). What he said doesn't make sense to me.

I had a "hairdresser" that would trim/cut my hair every 3 to 4 weeks always citing "SPLIT ENDS". I was like === "I come to you every week and I sleep with a satin scarf and a satin pillowcase"---Once I found hairboards and finally did find two stylists that me and my hair love and a Dominican Shop that my hair loves I have never heard the words SPLIT ENDS or seen any SPLIT ENDS. Makes me think that she (the hairdresser) was trying to keep me at ear length / neck length forever and a day !

I disagree with stylists because I believe that:

No split ends=no need for a trim

Why fix something that isn't broken???

My hair didn't start to grow until I stopped letting people put scissors to it. I haven't had a trim in over a year and that works for me because I deep condition and moisterize very well. My hair went from a mess to people (including my mom) asking me over Thanksgiving if I was wearing a weave. That's when I knew I'd made it:)

calliope said:
My hair didn't start to grow until I stopped letting people put scissors to it. I haven't had a trim in over a year and that works for me because I deep condition and moisterize very well. My hair went from a mess to people (including my mom) asking me over Thanksgiving if I was wearing a weave. That's when I knew I'd made it:)

WORD. Make that two years for me, though. :)

Your stylist is crazy. 4 inches because he claims the burning smell comes from your damaged hair. the burning can from his dirty flat iron. I have know some stylists to not clean their appliances between people. that could be the problem. Just insist that he does not cut your hair. You may be better trimming it yourself.

I have to agree with the other ladies. It sounds like you hairdresser is scissor happy. After my stylist relaxed my hair about a month ago, she mentioned that the next time I come to get a relaxer I will need a trim because it has been a while since my last trim (8 months ago). She "predicted" that hair will need a trim!! I don't understand why they want to cut hair so bad.

seraphim712 said:

I remember that when went to my stylist for a wash and blowdry, it was after he did the routine of washing, deep conditioning, and then blowdrying that he mentioned that at least four inches of my hair needed to be cut off. Bear in mind that my hair stops at the mid part of my neck(not sure how long it is right now since I haven't straightened it), so cutting off four inches would bring to middle of my ear. After he dryed my hair, it was straight from the roots on down but frizzy at the ends which he said that needed to be cut off. He also mentioned while flat ironing my hair that the burning smell came from my frizzy ends WHAT?. Personally I thought it was the residue on the flat iron;) IT IS

I just want to know if he was telling the truth about my ends and if I should let him cut the frizzy part off to what he calls the healthy part of my hair, or if he's just scissor happy YEP. I notice that when he flat irons my hair, however that the ends look the same as the 'healthy' part of my hair. I just don't want to make a mistake. The women with mid-length to waist length hair don't seem to get their hair trimmed, so I wonder if I'll be doing the right thing if I don't let him trim my hair.

Advice please!!!

well when I took my braids my ends were frizzy, so I had my mom to cut a little bit (less than an inch) and now it looks just as healthy. I wouldn't let him cut that much off. Matter of fact, I wouldn't let him cut anything :nono:

I'll have to go with another ditto. I'm also one who hasn't cut/trimmed
in a while (abt 18 months). I deep condition weekly, and use Bead Head Ego Boost split-end mender leave-in on my ends. I'm by no means an expert, but I would not allow anyone to cut four inches off of my hair for split ends unless the were raveled like a piece of thread. :eek: :lol:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to do my hair by myself for a while to see how everything turns out. :) :) :)

calliope said:

That's what I'm talking about ! Congratulations on your hair success !:)

I went to a male hairstylist for a while thinking it would be better as far as the scissor-happy thing. Shoot, he was worse! It would be good if we could see a pic of your hair and then we could give you advice about getting a trim and how much. But I will say FOR CERTAIN that he lied about your ends causing the burnt smell. He had the flat iron too hot and that's that. :(

i agree with some of the others members have said about trying to treat the ends first, then use trimming as a last resort.

stylists always find it easier to just 'snip snip snip' instead of working with the challenge of treating damaged hair. use some of the products others have suggested first and lay off the heat. if your ends are damaged then heat will only make them worse

4 inches is a whole lot for anyone:eek: Frizzy does not equal burnt smelling hair:mad: Deep condition your hair, moisturize and seal the ends with oil. You should notice a difference within 2 weeks. Last year a stylist got mad at me because she wanted to cut my "dry ends". Not one time did she mention conditioning!!!
Short hair needs to be styled. Can you say more money for the stylist? Don't do it!!!!

I agree tenderheaded. I do think that they try to trim your ends just to charge more. When I get a wash and blow dry, it's only $35, but then if I get my ends trimmed, the price goes up from $35 to $55!!! That's an additional $20, and on the receipt it says that it was a hair cut and not a trim.

I've been deep conditioning my hair weekly , but my only mistake was blow drying and flat ironing it which takes away moisture. I'm changing my regimen and after my deep conditioning, I will rollerset my hair, eat healthier, drink more water (I'm guilty of being a soda monster), get more sleep, and take vitamins.

Just one question, how do you seal the ends of your hair with oil?

I also need to save up for a hooded hair dryer. :D :D :D

seraphim712 said:

Advice please!!!

Dc every 3 days and watch those ends act right:armyhat: :grin:

seraphim712 said:
I agree tenderheaded. I do think that they try to trim your ends just to charge more. When I get a wash and blow dry, it's only $35, but then if I get my ends trimmed, the price goes up from $35 to $55!!! That's an additional $20, and on the receipt it says that it was a hair cut and not a trim.

I've been deep conditioning my hair weekly , but my only mistake was blow drying and flat ironing it which takes away moisture. I'm changing my regimen and after my deep conditioning, I will rollerset my hair, eat healthier, drink more water (I'm guilty of being a soda monster), get more sleep, and take vitamins.

Just one question, how do you seal the ends of your hair with oil?

I also need to save up for a hooded hair dryer. :D :D :D

You get a receipt? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man, your stylist must think u got 'DUMB' tattoo'd on your forehead. His explaination don't even make sense. Why don't he be honest about it and just say that he wants to cut your hair short because firstly short hair needs to be professionally styled to look good, and 2ndly evenly cut hair is easy to style so he's too lazy to work with all of your hair.

For your issue, i would NEVER permit anyone to hack off 4inches. You need to deep cond and add lots of oil, and perhaps baggy for maybe 2-3 weeks and then see if you can see a difference. Then i would give the stylist permission to gradually cut off an inch like every 10weeks.

As for the fuzzy ends, alot of the time it's attributed to using a no-lye relaxer and the calcium buildup that it causes. Did he tell you that? Or did he 'purposely' forget to mention that that part so that he can keep cutting your hair shorter and shorter? Try using a lye relaxer for a while to see if it makes a difference...

seraphim712 said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to do my hair by myself for a while to see how everything turns out. :) :) :)
That is a good idea. Once you know your own hair inside out, no 'stylist' can feed you bull. I suggest you do a search on baggy method and deep conditioners. I think they would really help. Leave that man with his dirty irons alone!!!

Back