Is it okay to flat iron w/o a protectant?

Glib Gurl

I am new to flat ironing. I don't have any particular product that I would use to protect my hair when flat ironing. Is it really necessary? (I would likely flat iron after washing and blowdrying . . . at most I might use some Motions Foaming Wrap setting lotion or something. Is this sufficient?)

Thanks!

Considering that your blowdrying i would use a heat protectant. I C fantasia is a cheap and readily available heat protectant people on this board use. There are loads in the supermarket/drugstore. Rather be safe than sorry.
HTH

i wouldn't risk it if i were you... heat damaged hair sucks. trust me i'm speaking from experience. :perplexed

you don't have to use a lot of stuff and weigh your hair down/have it sticking together, if that's what you're worried about...

GG, I wouldn't do it. Blowdrying AND Flatironing?? NO! I airdry and flatiron and I use a heat protectant. Besides most of those protectants help make the process easier, which in turn, can prevent you from using more heat to achieve the style you want.

PLZ PLZ PLZ use a heat protectant!

I went for years not using one & eventually burned my hair!

Now even though it's growing, I still lose length waiting for the burned part to grow/break off!

I have used IC, but now I have fallen in love w/ CHI.

But, yes, use something!!

Like everyone else said, don't do it. The high heat from blow dryers and flat irons is very damaging, your hair needs all the protection it can get. At least use some type of serum that has cones in it. The Fantasia serum is good.

Yikes - thanks for the warning folks! So, is the motions product I use insufficient? Should I get a protectant specifically designed for flat irons? (I just bought a CHI - it was on sale! - but I haven't used it yet.)

Glib Gurl said:
Yikes - thanks for the warning folks! So, is the motions product I use insufficient? Should I get a protectant specifically designed for flat irons? (I just bought a CHI - it was on sale! - but I haven't used it yet.)

That motions stuff IS NOT ENOUGH! I have never used it but, if anything I could see that making things worse!

Is it the Motions At Home Salon Care Light Styling Foam Natural or Chemically Treated Hair? If so, that is NOT ENOUGH. Lot of protein, though.

Aqua , Isobutane , Hydrofluorocarbon 152A , VP/VA Copolymer , Polyquaternium-1 , Propane , Polyquaternium-4 , Polysorbate-20 , PVP , Polyquaternium-7 , Olealkonium Chloride , PPG-9-Diethylmonium Chloride , PPG-12-PEG-50 Lanolin , Sodium Benzoate , Glycerin , Hydrolyzed Elastin , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium Chloride , Gelatin Amino Acids , Keratin Amino Acids , Lysine Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , Propylene Glycol , Cyclomethicone , Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride , Sorbitol , Tocopheryl Acetatev , Biotin , Niacinamide , Ascorbic Acid , Panthenol , Butylphenyl Methyl Propional , Citronellol , Farnesol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Hydroxycitronellal , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Limonene , Linalool , Parfum Fragrance

Even the Motions Foaming Wrap lotion is not enough. That does have Dimethicone, but it also has alcohol :eek:

Aqua , Polyquaternium-11 , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Alcohol Denat. , Cetrimonium Chloride , TEA-Lauroyl Collagen Amino Acids , Panthenol , PEG-75 Lanolin , Oleth-20 , DMDM Hydantoin , Hexyl Cinnamal , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene , Linalool , Parfum Fragrance

Glib Gurl said:

Oh, the CHI stuff. That's good stuff. It is too costly for what you get in my opinion. I mix it with the Fantasia stuff to make it last longer.

If you use a blow dryer and/or flat iron that is not ionic or ceramic I definitely WOULD NOT go without a heat protectant.

My personal preference is to blowdry and/or flat iron without a "heat protectant". Protectants weigh down and leaves my hair dull . I use ionic/ceramic appliances. I have not suffered heat damage where I've lost natural curl or have singed/burned my hair.

Just for giggles, try the CHI after po/con/leave-in/air dry.

Use it alone & only a small bit per each section you curl/iron. A little goes a LONG way.

(This is how I use it & it is GREAT!!! Bouncy, light hair!)

See what you think & let us know.

Definitely use a heat protectant. Like the other posters said... IC is a good one. Before coming on the boards I wasn't protecting my daughters hair (I blowdried & used a ceramic Iron w/out a heat protectant), so I'm nursing her hair back to health now:perplexed

Glib Gurl said:
Okay, one last question - where can I buy this stuff online? (Thanks so much for your advice!!!)

The Beauty Supply store! :) You already have the CHI, though.

Oh, AKA's suggestion is a good one even if just for the giggles. :D "try the CHI after po/con/leave-in/air dry".

pls use a protectant.
shhh but I used to not use anything yrs ago lol and my hair looked fried.
theres some good serums out there like chi infusion and fx silk drops

Back