Is it ok to flatiron once a week?

lnana04

I'm trying to help my sister grow her hair out but the thing is that she isn't too good with protective styles, so I was wondering if flatironing it once a week would prevent her from keeping her length?

And if not, what deep conditioner should I do for her? protein or moisturizing? She wears a relaxer btw.

I flat iron everytime I shampoo and condition my hair and my hair is doing very well. I shampoo and deep condition every 2 days. My hair is doing better than it did when i was trying to take suggestions to not use my flat iron.

But, I do a LOT to protect it. I invested in a better, nicer flat iron, I use silicon to protect my hair, I deep condition EVERY single time, and I keep the heat as low as possible.

There are several deep conditioners in my rotation - 10en1, Profectiv Growth mask, Emergencia for example. Sometimes I mix them.

I still use a rinse conditioner every time, too. In my rotation are Aubrey GPB, Keraphix, Kenra Platinum Reconstructor, and NTM Daily Deep Conditioner.

I rarely have to do a hard protein treatment for my hair.

But, honestly, the only reason why I do this now is to maintain my style as I grow my hair out. As soon as I get enough length to start putting my hair up nicely, I plan to use my flat iron less often.

lnana04 said:
I'm trying to help my sister grow her hair out but the thing is that she isn't too good with protective styles, so I was wondering if flatironing it once a week would prevent her from keeping her length?

And if not, what deep conditioner should I do for her? protein or moisturizing? She wears a relaxer btw.

If she's going natural and she has enough length, she can do CW daily or every other day and then damp bun it, use some mango or shea butter on the edges and ends. She could try a twist out/braid outs too, but buns are better to protect those ends. If her hair is short maybe braids (not to tight0 or braided weave only if it's done right. I she's going to straighten def. do wha t the ladies suggested here, get a good ceramic, and some protectant, deep condition every time she will straighten or after she has. hth
braids
www.growafrohairlong.com

Last edited:
Hey There!
I wash once a week and I flat iron too.
I think she would be okay. I don't do protective styling because for some reason the formation of a ponytail breakes my hair off no matter how loose the ponytail is. I used to wear my hair in a protective ponytail and my ends were SHOT!
But there are some things that she must know. I would incorporate a light protein treatment in every 2 weeks, use heat protectant sprays (they won't protect the hair entirely but they do provide some protection), good poo/deep conditioners, and a silicone serum (silicone helps protect the hair from heat).

I would also tell her to invest in a good SOLID (not coated) ceramic or tourmaline iron, a great moisturizer for those days that she needs moisture, and also a silk/stain scarf and pillowcase. All of the above things have helped my hair journey. Contrary to popular belief some people can maintain healthy hair with the use of heat, and thats from my own personal experience.:yep:

MizaniMami said:
Hey There!
I wash once a week and I flat iron too.
I think she would be okay. I don't do protective styling because for some reason the formation of a ponytail breakes my hair off no matter how loose the ponytail is. I used to wear my hair in a protective ponytail and my ends were SHOT!
But there are some things that she must know. I would incorporate a light protein treatment in every 2 weeks, use heat protectant sprays (they won't protect the hair entirely but they do provide some protection), good poo/deep conditioners, and a silicone serum (silicone helps protect the hair from heat).

I would also tell her to invest in a good SOLID (not coated) ceramic or tourmaline iron, a great moisturizer for those days that she needs moisture, and also a silk/stain scarf and pillowcase. All of the above things have helped my hair journey. Contrary to popular belief some people can maintain healthy hair with the use of heat, and thats from my own personal experience.:yep:

very well said and thoughtfully, explained. (and i agree with you.) :)

Thanks for all of the replies!

I flatironed her hair last week with my Sedu iron we both loved the results, and I'm gonna try again this week with the Corilioss iron my mother just purchased.

I'm just glad to hear that it's possible to maintain and grow healthy hair despite the heat.

Back