Is it ok to co-wash up to the day before a relaxer?

Musicachic

I am getting a relaxer on Sat, but my scalp has been trying to be itchy on me... I don't wanna mess anything up... but can I co-wash the day before the relaxer and earlier? :hair:

newflowers

You should not wash, co wash, scratch, etc. at LEAST three days before a relaxer. If you take care of it today, you're cutting it close. And if you're itching, watch the scratching - that will make things even worse if you relax on Saturday.

LovinLea

no :nono: that's promising for your scalp to burn. don't scratch it or rinse it. i don't even touch my head a few days before except to base my scalp.

Musicachic

Drats... maybe I should just start basing like crazy... Basing is so greasy though...

I co washed this morning because I didn't know what to do... It was killing me (softly)... :nono:

Simply_Kelz

I have cowashed the day before a relaxer like 3 times. But my cowashes weren't so much about me massaging the scalp, moreso, about me conditioning the hair.

LaReyna756

I wait 2-3 days after washing to relax. And if I do wash a couple of days before the relaxer, I base my scalp right after washing, and then again right before the relaxer.

vnaps

What is co-washing?

washing with conditioner only.....

i wouldnt recommend it.....if the manufacturer says no then i think its best to pay attention.....

try not to do anything with it....besides basing i guess....it should help witht he itchiness....

belleama

I hate not washing my hair. Plus I workout 5 - 6 days a week. I just can't stand the thought of not being allowed to wash my hair. So I choose a relaxer that says I can wash within two days. Then I just cowash in the morning, skip one day, then relax the next night. My previous relaxer was that tea tree one and now I use phytorelaxer and have not had problems or burning with either brand.

FWIW: I don't ever base my scalp and really can't think of the last time I allowed my "stylist" to base it before a relaxer either. Maybe when I was a kid? :ohwell:

Your Cheeziness

No! I did that on my last relaxer...actually I forgot I cowashed like 2 days prior, but I dern sure remembered when my soul caught on fire halfway through that relaxer. I swear the gates of hell opened up on my scalp!!

Last edited: