Is it me or does it seem like people with type 2

atlien

[ QUOTE ]
Devi said:
I don't think so. There are people with 4b hair that grows faster than people with type 1 hair... it's an individual thing

Now retaining length is different. I think that other hair types retain length easier than type 4's

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly,
This is true..actually I think type 4 hair grows fast. If you talk to some real type 4s they are noticing considerable growth 4 weeks post relaxer. The key is retaining this growth. Type 4 hair is so dry that it breaks easily which decreases length. The other hair types are more likely to gain length because they naturally hold more moisture.

I know it's hard I am a type 4 and my god you have to be so gentle and pampering to your hair to gain some length
..but growth nah buddy my hair grows like weed. If I had found these boards a year ago my hair would be to my waist.

Also see Andrienne she is a type 4 with waistlength hair.

atlien

Re: Is it me or does it seem like people with type

[ QUOTE ]
Lovelylocs said:
[ QUOTE ]
Devi said:
Yung, how mixed (with non-African blood) would one have to be to have straight hair? 1/2... 1/4... 1/8? Even less?

You know that most African Americans are not 100% African... don't you? There is a very wide variety of genes floating around and almost no one is without some kind of genes from somewhere else.

One funny thing... I work with an African woman who is 100% African with black parents who is more fair than I am (I'm "mixed") and has type one hair (while little ol' mixed me has 3a)

It's true

[/ QUOTE ]
Not trying to turn this into another race thread, but to add to this statement... FYI (for those who may not remember) 100% African does not necessarily equal 100% black.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have said a mouthful

TigerLily

Re: Is it me or does it seem like people with type

Thanks ladies!! All of you have given me a lot to think about. I thought I was being patient with my hair, but I guess I'm not being patient enough. Sometimes it gets frustrating when I see people's hair growing long and it seems mine is going nowhere. *sigh*

If anyone else has a viewpoint on this, please feel free to add on!!

Netta1

[ QUOTE ]
NaturalRox said:
I'd have to disagree that people that have type 4 hair have the "driest hair". It is more prone to breakage simply because of its coily nature. Every point at which the hair shaft kinks and curls makes it susceptible to breakage thus making it more fragile.

It may appear that people with type 4 hair grows slowly, but it's just because it's naturally more coiled up and curly than those with type 2 or 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right on the money
Also we should not really get caught up in the "typing" system-most of us don't fit in one neat box anyway.