Is it me or does it seem like people with type 2

TigerLily

and type 3 hair grows faster than type 4 hair? I notice that a lot of ladies with long hair seem to have type 2/3 hair that grows fast. I've seen ladies with type 4 long hair, but it seems like it takes them longer to grow their hair I don't see type 4 long hair (esp. 4b) as much as I do type 2/3. Does anyone else notice this? If so, then why do you think that type 2/3 hair grows faster/longer?

honeydrop1130

i dont think their hair grows any faster as an entire group, certain individuals, but not everyone with type 2 or 3 hair grows faster.

type 4 hair is the driest hair (according to the books ive read), so its more prone to breakage. top that with more type 4 women applying relaxers than type 2 or 3 (probably), and type 4 is more prone to breakage than before. so it may be easier for type 2 or 3 to retain length because they might not experience as much breakage or dryness as type 4 hair, but i definitely think hair growth is universal, meaning everyone grows 1/2-1 inch per month depending on the person, according to research (that ive read).

Lovelylocs

Maybe it does on average, but I'm a 4a and the hairstylists always remark on how fast my hair grows. Maybe b/c our curls are so tight, we don't realize how much new growth we have until we finally get a relaxer or straighten our hair. Since you are natural, it must seem like it is taking forever.

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
im a type 3 and my hair grows soooo slowly
my hair only grows about 1/4'' a month

NaturalRox

I'd have to disagree that people that have type 4 hair have the "driest hair". It is more prone to breakage simply because of its coily nature. Every point at which the hair shaft kinks and curls makes it susceptible to breakage thus making it more fragile.

It may appear that people with type 4 hair grows slowly, but it's just because it's naturally more coiled up and curly than those with type 2 or 3.

Isis

Type 4b may look drier because it doesn't reflect light the same way as some other types. I must add something to my hair, for example, to make it shine. Our hair as a race is the driest and even more so when it's relaxed. I've seen many females, young and old with type 4 hair that seems to grow at a good pace to me! It's all about how they care for it and what they don't do to it.

Devi

I don't think so. There are people with 4b hair that grows faster than people with type 1 hair... it's an individual thing

Now retaining length is different. I think that other hair types retain length easier than type 4's

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
My hair grows normally but due to the curliness of it, you can't tell. But one hairdresser I met in Wal-Mart commented on how long my hair was.

honeydrop1130

[ QUOTE ]
Devi said:
I don't think so. There are people with 4b hair that grows faster than people with type 1 hair... it's an individual thing

Now retaining length is different. I think that other hair types retain length easier than type 4's

[/ QUOTE ]

good points

Devi

[ QUOTE ]
NaturalRox said:
I'd have to disagree that people that have type 4 hair have the "driest hair". It is more prone to breakage simply because of its coily nature. Every point at which the hair shaft kinks and curls makes it susceptible to breakage thus making it more fragile.

It may appear that people with type 4 hair grows slowly, but it's just because it's naturally more coiled up and curly than those with type 2 or 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know that the curlier your hair is, the drier it is? Curly hair has a problem with keeping moisture in. So the curlier, the drier. But I'm talking about naturally, we CAN moisturize our hair.

I have to find the site where I found this out.

But it's also from personal experience. It pays to live in a family where there is a type 1, a type 2, two type 3's and a type 4.

Type ones can for the most part just shampoo and use an instant conditioner and don't even have to add anything else to their hair and it doesn't get dry.

ANd type 2's and 3's can use products that are a bit harsher and less moisturizing... and don't need to deep condition and moisturize as much as type 4's. (Not knowing if this applies to 3c)

NaturalRox

I, too, have curly/coily hair and keep it moisturized so I understand your perspective. When I read the post initially, it just came across as a blanket statement and as the sole reason for breakage so I just wanted to point that out. All good information though!

DigitalRain

Devi's right the curlier the hair usually the drier it is. Its more difficult for oil from the scalp to travel down the shaft a a 4b strand. Its coils and kinks slow down or prevents oil from making it to the end of the strand. A person with straight hair don't have any problems with this, the scalp oils just travel down the shaft without much of a problem.

Ayeshia

my hair grows kinda fast but im pretty sure it has nuthing to do with my hair type. My hair is really really dry if i dont moisturize it.

Donda

Re: Is it me or does it seem like people with type

It holds true in my case, my 3c hair grows on average 1/4-2/4 more in the same amount of time then my 4a. Yet every one is different.

NubianAngel

My best friend has type 4 hair, and it seems to grow like an inch per month. It's always been long. When she cuts it, it grows back like that *snaps fingers* Her sister also has type 4 hair, but it seems to grow alot slower.

Casarela

I come from afamily where theres 1-2-3a-3b-3c-4a-4b and I position myself as a 4a -3c and Ive been growing my hair . I had the time to chop my hair and let it grow and have longer hair than my cousin whos a type 1. every type can face breakage. Its just how you take care of your hair that makes the difference in the end...and yes dryness can be a very important factor also..but like I said any type can face that.

TigerLily

Hmmm, I see....very interesting....keep the opinions coming, ladies!

nijilah

I don't think that the hair grows faster. I just think that it shows length more quickly. Also, I don't believe that hair growth is tied to hair type. I have 2 close friends, both African American, who have slightly wavy almost straight hair, yet their hair has never grown past their shoulders. And I have known these ladies for about 17 years now.

YuNg

as far as how fast it grows it depends on the person because i know alot of white people whos hair grow really slow because they always dye their hair with those weird colors like hot pink, blue, and etc. I still dont believe that type 1 hype existing in the black cummunity unless your mixed even then it would have some wave in it. Especially not natural hair. But that's just me.

Devi

Yung, how mixed (with non-African blood) would one have to be to have straight hair? 1/2... 1/4... 1/8? Even less?

You know that most African Americans are not 100% African... don't you? There is a very wide variety of genes floating around and almost no one is without some kind of genes from somewhere else.

One funny thing... I work with an African woman who is 100% African with black parents who is more fair than I am (I'm "mixed") and has type one hair (while little ol' mixed me has 3a)

It's true

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Devi said:
Yung, how mixed (with non-African blood) would one have to be to have straight hair? 1/2... 1/4... 1/8? Even less?

You know that most African Americans are not 100% African... don't you? There is a very wide variety of genes floating around and almost no one is without some kind of genes from somewhere else.

One funny thing... I work with an African woman who is 100% African with black parents who is more fair than I am (I'm "mixed") and has type one hair (while little ol' mixed me has 3a)

It's true

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. the same would go for a caucasian person with type four hair
They're out there

Devi

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
Exactly. the same would go for a caucasian person with type four hair
They're out there

[/ QUOTE ]

yep

Although some of em' like to call it wholly hair syndrome sometimes.. instead of kinky hair

LuvLiLocks

Well I think it is on individual basis also. Take my mom for instance, she has type 4 hair, but I promise, her hair grows like crazy, I mean probably twice a long as average, but sadly she doesn't take proper care of it and it falls right out, and the hurtful part is, she'll be almost bald one month then a few months later her hair will be shoulder length. And I'm lookin crazy like, what, did this thing skip a generation?????? Now my friends' daughter on the other hand has like type 3a hair, and it doesnt seem to grow at all! It's like 3 inches long and the child is 10.

Lovelylocs

[ QUOTE ]
Devi said:

It's true

[/ QUOTE ]
Not trying to turn this into another race thread, but to add to this statement... FYI (for those who may not remember) 100% African does not necessarily equal 100% black.

melodee

I try not to classify hair, cause what I think is type 4 may be a type 3 to someone else and vice versa.

Devi

Okay... then I MEANT to say 100% black... sorry!

ANaturalBrotha

You all know what i mean. I hear it everyday about people having Indian in there family. If it exist then it does i've just never seen it. I've never seen natural hair less than a 2.

Devi

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
I try not to classify hair, cause what I think is type 4 may be a type 3 to someone else and vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with type 3c hair somtimes... I'd think it's a 4 when it's on the more tightly coiled side of 3c.

but there are definate differences between type 1, 2, 3, and 4.

It gets hazy sometimes when you add the letters. Like a 2c can be mistaken for a 3a... a 3c can be mistaken for a 4a. It goes on and on
but I think that it's helpful to have some general classification system.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I also believe more people with type 2 or 3 wear their hair natural, that's also a big part in retaining the length. I don't believe that the hair itself grows faster though. Otherwise, why would there be a need for touch ups every now and then?