Is it bad if alcohol is in a daily moisturizer?

RabiaElaine

I've noticed that in several moisturizers such as Pantene Relaxed and Natural Daily Oil Cream Moisturizer there is a product listed called Lanolin Alcohol. Also in Motions Daily Moisturizing Hairdressing there is a product called cetearyl alcohol, which is also listed in all conditioners.

Why would alcohol be listed in something that is supposed to be moisturizing your hair?

Has anyone used either of these moisturizers, how do you find that they work for you?

Thanks

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Cetaryl alcohol is Ok. It's an emulsifier and considered to be a fatty alcohol. I don't know about the lanolin alcohol.

{edited to add}--- This is what I found out about Lanolin Alcohol: Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol: A hypoallergenic lanolin-derived emollient with a smooth, velvety feel. Acetylated lanolin forms a protective coating on the skin's surface and prevents moisture loss

soslychic

lanolin alcohol is an emolient derived from lanolin. here is some info on lanolin.
lanolin. Derived from the sebaceous glands of sheep. Lanolin has long been burdened with the reputation for being an allergen or sensitizing agent. That has always been a disappointment to formulators because lanolin is such an effective moisturizing agent for skin. A recent study in the British Journal of Dermatology (July 2001, pages 28–31) may change all that. The study concluded "that lanolin sensitization has remained at a relatively low and constant rate even in a high-risk population (i.e., patients with recent or active eczema)." Based on a review of 24,449 patients who were tested with varying forms of lanolin, it turned out that "The mean annual rate of sensitivity to this allergen was 1.7%"—and it was lower than that for a 50% concentration of lanolin. It looks like it's time to restore lanolin's good reputation. That's a very good thing for someone with dry skin, though it can be a problem for someone with oily skin, because lanolin closely resembles the oil from human oil glands. However, in Europe, due to Mad Cow Disease, animal-derived ingredients are banned from cosmetics and lanolin is no longer being used.

cosmeticcop.com