Is it always a bad idea to use permanent color on relaxed hair?

sensiblesista

I would like to dye my hair jet black. I know semi and demi permanent color washes out after about 6-8 washes so I'd rather use permanent color since i wanna have the option of washing and/or cowashing my hair frequently and wearing wash n go's.
The problem is that I'm a relaxed head and I've heard the stories about how permanent color shouldn't be used on relaxed hair.
But Is that only for freshly relaxed hair? What if I wait a month after a relaxer to color my hair? Does anyone have experience with this. Would it be safe or should i expect my relaxed hair to start falling out in clumps for even thinking about using permanent color on it?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
If you wait at least 2 weeks and do some treatments to help rebuild that hair then permanent color is fine. Most people will wait the two weeks and do nothing to their hair to help rebuild it. That's were the damage comes in.

Relaxing changes the entire structure of the hair breaking it down and stripping almost all of the bonds away. The treatments restore some of the protein and nutrients back into the hair. This makes the hair stronger and more ready for the next chemical treatment.

When you do a black permanent color you will need to use no more than 10 volume developer because it will a deposit only permanent color. Most are left on for 35 to 45 minutes. 10 volume peroxide won't really damage the hair but anytime you do any type of chemicals on the hair it is changing the natural structure of the hair.

Be sure to keep the hair moisturized to help prevent breakage and do deep conditioning at least once per week. I would recommend you doing a light protein treatment at least once a month just to put those needed nutrients back into the hair.

It's ok to color relaxed hair whether it be black deposit or any type of color that lifts but it must be done correctly with the proper products and proper after care.

sensiblesista

If you wait at least 2 weeks and do some treatments to help rebuild that hair then permanent color is fine. Most people will wait the two weeks and do nothing to their hair to help rebuild it. That's were the damage comes in.

Relaxing changes the entire structure of the hair breaking it down and stripping almost all of the bonds away. The treatments restore some of the protein and nutrients back into the hair. This makes the hair stronger and more ready for the next chemical treatment.

When you do a black permanent color you will need to use no more than 10 volume developer because it will a deposit only permanent color. Most are left on for 35 to 45 minutes. 10 volume peroxide won't really damage the hair but anytime you do any type of chemicals on the hair it is changing the natural structure of the hair.

Be sure to keep the hair moisturized to help prevent breakage and do deep conditioning at least once per week. I would recommend you doing a light protein treatment at least once a month just to put those needed nutrients back into the hair.

It's ok to color relaxed hair whether it be black deposit or any type of color that lifts but it must be done correctly with the proper products and proper after care.

Thanks for the detailed response. :yep: When you say 'treatments' should i assume that you mean deep conditioning treatments?

SNyeema

Thank you so much for this tip. I've decided to transition back to natural (spur of the moment decision) and wanted to color my recently touched-up hair (2 weeks ago) a rich plum color so that when the new growth comes in, I can easily tell the difference between my relaxed hair and my natural hair. Being gentle and following-up with a mixture of protein and moisturizing treatments sounds like the way to go. Thank you so much for helping to also, ease my fears.

longhairlover

I think dark and lovely has a permanent color out it has no peroxide and it's for women of color that have relaxed hair.

I know that Peroxide can cause the hair to dry and break off, but like dontspeakdefeat said with proper care.

I use permanent colors but I still stay away from peroxide, even when I've gotten caught out there with peroxide colors my hair started to break.

I have black hair and only color my hair black to enhance my already black hair.

GOD

i ran across a couple clips on youtube the other day sayin you can relax and permanent color the same day, so i dunno if thats worth checkin out...i gotta go search for them

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
i ran across a couple clips on youtube the other day sayin you can relax and permanent color the same day, so i dunno if thats worth checkin out...i gotta go search for them
I know that with Avlon products they say you can do both in the same day. They actually had a class about it at the last Bronner Bros show. I wasn't able to attend it though.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I think dark and lovely has a permanent color out it has no peroxide and it's for women of color that have relaxed hair.

I know that Peroxide can cause the hair to dry and break off, but like dontspeakdefeat said with proper care.

I use permanent colors but I still stay away from peroxide, even when I've gotten caught out there with peroxide colors my hair started to break.

I have black hair and only color my hair black to enhance my already black hair.

they do.... that's the brand I used when I colored my hair recently. I used midnight black on my brown hair and it came out rather nice. I waited 2 weeks after my relaxer to do it. I DC at least once a week. I plan on doing an aphogee protein treatment next week also. I try to keep my hair moisturized to help prevent breakage.

pink gator

Go for it!

I lightened my hair five shades last month with no problem. My hair is thicker and healthy, believe it or not.

I DC (either AO HSR or LeKair Cholesterol) twice a week and also use the Damage Remedy line by Aveda because it has protein and moisture. I use Giovanni Direct Leave-In mixed with SAA as my daily moisturizer and sealed with castor oil.

I also self-relaxed three days ago with a mild Phytorelaxer (I stepped down from an Index 2 to an Index 1) with phenomenal results!

I also seal/protect my hair with a clear Sebastian Laminates Cellophane every 4 weeks.

Oh, here's a great care thread by another member that I have bookmarked:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=26204&highlight=moisturizing+conditioners

HTH

vestaluv1

Hmm, I wanted to dye my hair jet black but I'm just worried that I will spoil all the progress I have made. I really don't think my hair is yet strong enough to handle the two chemical processes (colour and relaxer).

Oh well, one day I guess.

bellecheveux

Demi-permanent actually lasts longer than 6-8 washes. The last time I used a demi, it was good for more than 20 washes. Even then, the color was still on my hair months later.

Artemis

Demi-permanent actually lasts longer than 6-8 washes. The last time I used a demi, it was good for more than 20 washes. Even then, the color was still on my hair months later.

Right. They normally last around 24 shampoos. They are color with ~10 volume developer. Semi-permanents are developer-free, and permanents are 20 volume or higher.

OP, there are lots of relaxed women on the board who color their hair (lighter and darker) that are growing healthy and strong.

Do a search for a thread I started called "Color-treated and growing Support Thread". There, Tracy "The Color Guru" posted pics and healthy tips.

HTH