Is it a bad idea to do protein treatments more than 1x per week?

Glib Gurl

I notice that in most regimens people only do protein once a week. Lately my hair has been getting limp and I realized that while I've been co-washing 2-3 times per week, I haven't done a protein treatment in a month or so. So, I'm going to add that to the mix. But, I'm wondering if it would harm my hair if I were to do it more than 1 x per week.

Any input?

I apologize if this is a "stupid" question to some, but I don't frequent the hair section of the board as much as I should. :sekret:

I think 2x/week is too much and would probably would in stiff or brittle hair.

I used to do protein every other week like clockwork when I was relaxing regularly.

Now I do protein maybe once or twice a month. Most deep conditioners have some protein in them anyway so I think a solid regimen won't call for that much protein.

I notice that in most regimens people only do protein once a week. Lately my hair has been getting limp and I realized that while I've been co-washing 2-3 times per week, I haven't done a protein treatment in a month or so. So, I'm going to add that to the mix. But, I'm wondering if it would harm my hair if I were to do it more than 1 x per week.

Any input?

I apologize if this is a "stupid" question to some, but I don't frequent the hair section of the board as much as I should. :sekret:

Protein is one of the things that you shouldn't plan. Go based off how your hair feels. If you feel you need some protein, give it some protein. I like milders creamy proteins that have moisture in them too for weekly use like ORS replenishing conditioner. Some months, I don't really need any, other months I need it once a week.

Right now, since using ovation and megatek as a growth aid, I haven't need too much protein. Also, whenever I am using protein more often, I don't leave it in as long. Like my last wash last night, I just used Joico Kpak conditioner for no longer than 2 minutes and followed with my kenra.

Protein is one of the things that you shouldn't plan. Go based off how your hair feels. If you feel you need some protein, give it some protein. I like milders creamy proteins that have moisture in them too for weekly use like ORS replenishing conditioner. Some months, I don't really need any, other months I need it once a week.

Right now, since using ovation and megatek as a growth aid, I haven't need too much protein. Also, whenever I am using protein more often, I don't leave it in as long. Like my last wash last night, I just used Joico Kpak conditioner for no longer than 2 minutes and followed with my kenra.

:yep::yep: We need an "amen sista" smiley :grin: My hair hates protein so my usage of even light protein w/moisture is very rare and heavy is never but ITA, protein treatments shouldn't been done that often and they shouldn't be planned. "Listen" to your hair :look:

I think as long as you make sure your hair is moisturized well I don't think you should have a problem.. keep us updated on how well it works for your hair.

I came across this thread in a search about this topic and think you gave a good answer. :yep: I've always heard that people should consider using protein when their hair is starting to shed. Is this true?

are protein treatments good for stopping breakage? i haven't done one before and i'm starting to see excessive breakage/shedding.

Back