Is henna and Cassia obavata give the same result? How do i get my hair jet black?

BlackHairDiva

Ok,

I'm confused...Does Cassia obavata(neutral henna) and Henna give the same results? I thought it was the same.

I just bought some Neutral Henna(Cassia Obavata). I haven't used it yet. My plan was to keep it simple, add some olive oil, water and maybe some conditioner to the mix.

The results I'm hoping is to get from henna is thicker hair, darker hair, straighter hair with time(looser curls i mean) and stronger hair.
Will the Cassia Obavata help me obtain those result?

I hear a lot about Henna/ Indigo to make the hair jet black. Is there a simple recipe that I can follow to make my hair jet black? I don't want anything complicated as in tea draining etc etc...something simple as is honey, oil , simple....

If Cassia Obavata(neutral henna) will not give me he result Im looking for. Where should I purchase my Henna and what else do I need?

Final issue, my apartment tends to be cool. I know some say I should mix and store my henna for up to 10 hours in a warm place. hmmm if its cool at my place what will happen to the henna?

How long should I keep my henna on my hair?

I'm just scared and dont want to ruin my hair color...I want to keep it black or make jet black.

Help:look:...this is getting confusing.

Urban

I've only ever used henna once. But Cassia is a staple.

Thicker hair - It does thicken the hair, but the effect doesn't last as long as henna apparently.

Darker hair - Cassia doesn't darken hair. I think its 'dye' can leave a yellowy tint, which would only really have an effect on lighter colour hair i.e. blonde or grays.

Straighter hair - Cassia definately loosened my curls. But even when I used it weekly the loosening wasn't too drastic.

Stronger hair - Yip, you can definately get this from cassia with consistent use.

In terms of getting jet black hair with Henna/Indigo, this website is probably the best way to begin your researchl: Henna for Hair . A lot of ladies purchase their henna from this website as well. There is also HennaSooq and From Nature With Love I think. But keep in mind that once you start with Henna/Indigo, you'll always have to reapply to keep your hair jet black. Otherwise with time, you end up with the blueish tinge from the Indigo showing up ... someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

jamaraa

No, henna and cassia are NOT the same things even tho they are used to achieve similar results. They are two different species of plants, but both have properties that are good for use in hair care.

Cassia is not "neutral henna" because it is not neutral (it leaves a yellow color that shows up on people w/ light hair or grey hair)....it deposits color which on dark haired people may not be visible, but it desposits nevertheless.

Both cassia and henna need to "dye release" before you use it to achieve color. You simply mix it w/ warm water/conditioner, cover it up, and let it sit for several hours (I leave it 24hrs just to make sure). In cold weather, it should have dye released in this amount of time.

To achieve jet black, it's henna and not cassia is used. You can leave the henna on your head from 4 hrs-overnight. Initially, I'd do it for 4 hrs and then put your indigo on for 2 hrs. (When mixing indigo, just add warm water, some salt....just shake some in, and let it sit for about 10 mins....then apply). After doing these 2 steps, your hair should be darker. Each time you do the 2 steps, it'll get progressively darker because both henna and indigo "take" more as you use it more.

The blueish tint is really what you're wanting for beautiful blue-black hair :grin:, but your hair won't turn blue if you decide to stop using this method. It just grows out as your normal color. IOW, your greys (if you have them) will be visible again.

Pompous Blue

Using henna, not cassia obovata and indigo will get your hair jet black.

Here is our recipe:
http://hennablogspot.com/how-to-use...ye-your-hair-reddish-to-brown-to-black-tones/
Yep! IA with Khadija....I used her 2-step recipe to get my husband's hair jet black and it worked the 1st time. He wanted henna/indigo to cover up his greys. But I forgot to add the salt. I will the next time I do his hair in about a month. I plan on applying henna and indigo about every 6 weeks or longer.

I ordered Henna from Khadija and she put in a sample of Katam. I'm anxious to use it this weekend because I added indigo to my last henna mixture and my hair turned out too dark. I hope Katam will give me a lovely dark brown color. (I just saw my package was delivered and can't wait to get home to get it! This was my 1st time ordering from her and I'm well-pleased!)

Last edited:

Khadija.D.Carryl

There has been SOME trials with cassia and indigo, but it's not very reliable. I have some old pictures of someone who did try it out but for proper hair color and coverage henna will help it stick better and longer. Better to stick with henna and indigo as the two-step process as mentionned in the instruction link.

jamaraa

There has been SOME trials with cassia and indigo, but it's not very reliable. I have some old pictures of someone who did try it out but for proper hair color and coverage henna will help it stick better and longer. Better to stick with henna and indigo as the two-step process as mentionned in the instruction link.

I've never heard about anyone trying to make black w/ cassia and indigo. Interesting. I would think cassia is far too light in the color it deposits for indigo "lay down" on for black. At best, you might get some sort of light brown w/ this combo.

What color did the hair turn out in the experiment Khadijah?

Khadija.D.Carryl

Yes it was really interesting. I think if I remember correctly this person used to do henna a long while back and stopped and used cassia with indigo. I have their old pictures and they got black results. I have to go over them again. They used to be on Long Hair Community but they suddenly disappeared. I tried to email them but not response....

Maybe when I can collect all the information up properly, I'll put it in a post on the blog.

Khadija.D.Carryl

Just looked over her sample swatches she had sent to me. They are from 2007. She had already dark hair but I remember now she had wanted a purplew hew/tone in her hair too. So she got a bit of that. But the swatches are done with mohair so the results can vary as the hairs used are very light (mohair).

So she did get that to cover but not a true black, but it came a bit more of a dark purple-ish tone on her dark hair.

jamaraa

Khadija it gave off purple undertones, eh? Makes sense when you add yellow+ blue over already henned (red) hair that's dark! :giggle: If that makes sense.

I'm always a bit iffy about mohair samples, tbh. Mohair tends to be white and that replicates very few people's hair color in real life...most folks are starting w/ a base color darker than this, even blondes. I guess I think a 1 or 2 step is something that must be tried on your hair as the results are different for each person.

Khadija.D.Carryl

Yes please be honest :) I agree with you and I've said it before on here about how the mohair testing are not 100% reliable at all. It's white hair too on top of that.

But her hair in her siggy pictures came out dark, but then that forum crashed and we lost a lot of things. Not sure if her photos would be there somewhere still. She was really doing a lot of interesting research and testing on it. I bet the thread is in the archives somewhere.

It's neat though, purple-ish hair LOL! :) But I remember hers in her siggy was pretty dark and I didn't much purpley color.

*Muffin*

Cassia doesn't give you darker hair. On the contrary, a lot of blondes like using it because it enhances the blondeness of their hair. But it doesn't lighten darker hair. But I've heard some people say that it makes their grays "sparkle", lol. I mixed my cassia with darkening herbs (sage, brahmi, etc...). I love it, and it's great if you have fine, light-weight hair. Makes it feel denser and heavier :yep:. I really want to try it with indigo. Henna has given my hair a yucky orangey red tinge at the ends that I would like to get rid of naturally.

ChrsLvsBks

I use henna and indigo to make my hair darker. I have grays so I wanted to color them darker in the process. The first time I did the treatment I had applied henna previously (approximately three weeks before). I waited about three weeks and did a henna then indigo treatment. It worked wonderfully--darker hair and grays covered.

I was lazy the second time and let the henna sit for 10 or so hours, added amla and mixed in indigo. The treatment did not cover the grays. I definitely recommend the two step process--henna for at least four hours then indigo for another hour or two.

jamaraa

Here's an interesting thread that was started on LHC that's about using cassia and indigo only to get jet black hair. The opinion seems to be that using cassia and indigo alone to get jet black hair will only work if you have previously henna'ed hair (because your hair will be slightly red tinged). Haven't read the full thread yet, though.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24691&highlight=language

It makes sense that you'd have had to have done a henna at one time for it to go black, but I can't see why anyone would switch to cassia to maintain it. Cassia is more expensive, for starters and harder to get ahold of. This just seems somewhat illogical, I must say. :grin:

Khadija.D.Carryl

Actually cassia should be cheaper....guess it should be lowered in price.

It varies from supplier to supplier, I suppose based on what they too pay for it.

I guess some people have time and money to spend doing extras to their hair. That's the fun part. :)

jamaraa

Most of these folks are ordering cassia offline. I have a friend in New Jersey who managed to get some cassia in a store, but that's the only time I've heard of it. They have a very large Indian population in her area.

whitedaisez

Ok,

I'm confused...Does Cassia obavata(neutral henna) and Henna give the same results? I thought it was the same.

I just bought some Neutral Henna(Cassia Obavata). I haven't used it yet. My plan was to keep it simple, add some olive oil, water and maybe some conditioner to the mix.

The results I'm hoping is to get from henna is thicker hair, darker hair, straighter hair with time(looser curls i mean) and stronger hair.
Will the Cassia Obavata help me obtain those result?

I hear a lot about Henna/ Indigo to make the hair jet black. Is there a simple recipe that I can follow to make my hair jet black? I don't want anything complicated as in tea draining etc etc...something simple as is honey, oil , simple....

If Cassia Obavata(neutral henna) will not give me he result Im looking for. Where should I purchase my Henna and what else do I need?

Final issue, my apartment tends to be cool. I know some say I should mix and store my henna for up to 10 hours in a warm place. hmmm if its cool at my place what will happen to the henna?

How long should I keep my henna on my hair?

I'm just scared and dont want to ruin my hair color...I want to keep it black or make jet black.

Help:look:...this is getting confusing.

henna is red dye and cassia is blonde dye, so de results will be different. Neither one will give u jet black hair. Only indigo will do dat.