Is heat key for a good dc?

BadMamaJama

I'm impatient and I hate sitting under my hooded dryer. When I dc (I'm relaxed, btw), I use 2 plastic caps, my bonnet and a knit cap and keep it on for at least an hour. This way I can do other things instead of sitting under that stupid dryer. My rationale is that keeping it on for at least an hour and using body heat is as effective as sitting under the dryer for 30 mins.

So do you think the hat and body heat is as effective as sitting under the dryer?
How long do you think you need to sit under the dryer for a good dc?
If you use body heat how long do you leave it on?

Thanks ladies!

Last edited:

SimJam

I personally dont believe its NECESSARY. But for some products I find steaming makes them work better. Plus steaming is relaxing for me.

as for comparison between steaming and using a plastic cap under a dryer .... two totally different outcomes ... steaming is superior :lick: . In fact I think using body heat is better for me than sitting under the dryer

for me its

1. steaming
2. hair therapy wrap/ or other similar devise like "hot caps"
3. body heat
4. plastic cap under dryer

I actually test new products first by just using with body heat (plastic cap under a turbie twist or beenie) you actually work up a decent amount of heat just by doing that

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I used to think so, but now I think it depends on the actual head of hair and the conditioner. Specifically, I was using Aubrey Organics White Camelia with heat for 20-30 minutes on my 4b natural DD. One time I used it without heat and just a silver conditioning cap (when she didn't want to be stuck under the dryer) for an hour and it worked so much better. Now I use it without heat on her all the time and I always get the better effect.

ETA: Sometimes I add an acrylic hat on top for her or for myself when I don't want to sit under the dryer.

BadMamaJama

SimJam, I want a steamer soooo bad! It seems like they really take your hair to the next level.

Dayjoy I had a silver conditioning cap once and it did work way better than a reg plastic cap.

NIN4eva

Nope, I ...
just wear a plastic cap while do other stuff for as long as I feel like it.

warm up the conditioner and oils double boiler style (or in the microwave if I'm really lazy) then slap on a cap for as long as I feel like it.

put on the DC before I work out. My workout sessions only last about 20-30minutes, but I sweat like crazy and my hair LOVES it. - I highly recommend doing this with just oils or a DC.

I do use my hooded dryer every now and then, but only because it really relaxing. I don't think it's necessary for a good DC session.

faithVA

For my head I need some type of heat.

1. My heat cap for 20 minutes works best.
2. Multiple layers of plastic caps, scarves, bonnets works second.

Steaming did nothing for my hair :nono:

I haven't used a dryer in so long. I couldn't even tell you what it would be like. But I don't think conditioners need that level of heat to be effective.

Today I am trying heating my conditioner and will combine that with the multiple layers.

This does depend on the head of hair just like anything else. I have cuticles that lay flat and without the heat, the conditioner can't break through.

I would say try different methods and you will know which works best. But it's great to have alternatives.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Lurve DC'ing with Heat. All my DC'ing sessions are w/Heat. :drool:

Under my wig, this summer, I've been applying the Conditioner, Saran Wrap and 2 Plastic Caps. Usually my Protein Rx.

Then I'll Steam in the Moisturizing DC'er.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I've gotten to a place now where I just follow the directions on the bottle. If it says use with heat, I do it and for the time recommended. If it does not say use with heat, I don't bother. Mainly, I use heat with protein conditioners. But since I have raised cuticles...eh, heat may not be good for me.

temfash

I've gotten to a place now where I just follow the directions on the bottle. If it says use with heat, I do it and for the time recommended. If it does not say use with heat, I don't bother. Mainly, I use heat with protein conditioners. But since I have raised cuticles...eh, heat may not be good for me.

I agree that's why I don't steam any more my hair ended up so tangled it was ridiculous it defeated the whole objective.

PJaye

I think heat would work well with: (1) those at the beginning of their HHJ; (2) low porosity hair; (3) damaged hair; (4) hair that is prone to dryness; (5) certain products (those that contain heavy butters) and applications (color).

Sitting under a dryer and steaming are tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment for me. Since I am in extreme agony after five minutes, I had to retire them to the Land of Forgotten Hair Stuff.

faithVA

I think those with high porosity or raised cuticles probably shouldn't use heat since heat helps open the cuticles. Apply the conditioner should just be enough.

I think most conditioners are designed for people with regular porosity, so they can go either way.

I don't think any products are designed for those who have flat cuticles.

faithVA

I think heat would work well with: (1) those at the beginning of their HHJ; (2) low porosity hair; (3) damaged hair; (4) hair that is prone to dryness; (5) certain products (those that contain heavy butters) and applications (color).

[USER]Sitting under a dryer and steaming are tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment for me[/USER]. Since I am in extreme agony after five minutes, I had to retire them to the Land of Forgotten Hair Stuff.

I agree :lol: I hated the steamer just a little less than the dryer. Just a little.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
To answer your question, yes heat helps the conditioner better penetrate the hair shaft. But you don't have to use dryers or heatcaps. I trap my bodyheat with a towel over my plastic cap and it works great. I see you're like me, I can't stand the dryer either :lol:

Last edited:

Nonie

I used to use heat to DC thanks to Cathy Howse's direction. But then I started to wonder that if bubble hair is real, what would stop it from happening when DCing? I mean you have wet hair and you're raising the temperature around your hair which means the temperature of whatever is on your hair and any moisture inside your hair. And if that moisture inside your hair heats up, then bubbles can form, hence bubble hair and mid-strand splits. So I've been DCing w/o heat for years and my hair's doing OK. Like @Arian, I follow directions on the conditioner and Aubrey's GPB and Emergencée, the two products I use to DC do not say heat is a must. So I don't use it.

Ogoma

I used to steam regularly, but I got tired of having a complicated wash session. Now, I detangle, wash, and condition at once. I only condition for 10 minutes or however long it takes me to shower/exfoliate/shave/whatever :lol:. A plastic cap and the steam from the shower is all I need. My hair still feels good and moisturized.

lovegymnasts

Heat is necessary for me when deep conditioning. I went 2 months without using heat and I felt a negative difference in my hair. As soon as I starting sitting under my dryer again, my hair felt better.
I also tried dc overnight. I hated the way my hair felt the next day.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I do think it is, but it doesn't have to be "manufactured" heat. It can be natural heat, as in body heat. A plastic cap and a turbie (or regular towel) are excellent for generating natural heat to the head. You may have to leave the condish on a little longer than you would sitting under a dryer, but hey you can get things done while conditioning=multitasking!

BadMamaJama

I used to steam regularly, but I got tired of having a complicated wash session. Now, I detangle, wash, and condition at once. I only condition for 10 minutes or however long it takes me to shower/exfoliate/shave/whatever :lol:. A plastic cap and the steam from the shower is all I need. My hair still feels good and moisturized.

Ogoma, I've read where some people no longer dc. Do you condition more? Like I could see someone who cowashes a lot not needing to dc.

Ogoma

BadMamaJama said:
Ogoma, I've read where some people no longer dc. Do you condition more? Like I could see someone who cowashes a lot not needing to dc.

I co-wash 2-5x a week in addition to my weekly cleanse. I can see how people that do their hair 1-4 x a month may need to deep condition longer.