Is Feria Haircolor REALLY that damaging???

LikeNoOther

Good evening, Ladies

I REALLY want to color my hair "blue black", with Loreal Feria permanent color, "Starry Night" :lick:. Whenever I'm in the hair color aisle, I look at that box....lustfully, lol. I have searched this board endlessly for reviews, and they are very scarce. The few that I find are 90% negative, though :wallbash:.

I should add that most reviews are old, like 2003-2005, so I really haven't found more current reviews from ladies who have used this product. In reviewing the Loreal website, it states that Feria has been reformulated to be more hydrating :yep:. If anyone has had experience with Feria color, PLEASE respond, whether your results were good or bad. I appreciate any feedback I receive!

BTW, my hair is fine, relaxed, and color treated (black) with a demi (Natural Instincts) every 3-4 months. D/C and chi flat iron weekly.

This is the box:

TIA!!!

Attachments

• 21H4HFX0J2L._SL500_AA150_.jpg
    21H4HFX0J2L._SL500_AA150_.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 13
I've never colored my hair but have you tried going to Amazon or something of the like, and reading the reviews?

Yes, I have. Unfortunately most reviews on the net are from caucasian/non-relaxed women; that's why I was hoping to get responses from this board.

All I've ever used is Feria,and I never had any issues. I love it! This is Feria on the photo below. I've used it for years.

I have a friend who uses Feria, and she said she has not had any problems with it. She said she keeps her hair moisturized, which may help.

In the photos here I am texturized. I'm relaxed now, and I still use it. I only use heat to see my progress, however, I've been using Feria for at least 12 years,and I was relaxed at that time.

I have a friend who uses Feria, and she said she has not had any problems with it. She said she keeps her hair moisturized, which may help.

Thank you, Ronda123.

Did your friend go lighter, or darker? I hope that by using a darker color, I will not have as much damage, since I'm not "lifting"....

I think if you keep your hair conditioned you won't have any issues. I've gone from black to medium golden brown and the result was great. You should be fine!

In the photos here I am texturized. I'm relaxed now, and I still use it. I only use heat to see my progress, however, I've been using Feria for at least 12 years,and I was relaxed at that time.

Last question, I promise :yep:

Did you use heat heavily during your previous relaxed years? Also, have you ever gone darker while using Feria, or have experience with the shade I'm planning to use? Right now, because I use a demi, I don't have noticeable roots. I'm concerned about that with a permie color....

Any tips you care to share? :drunk: I will probably take the plunge tomorrow!

Thanks, again!

Oh, you're fine. Years ago, I normally rollerset my hair. However, I did use the curling iron quite a bit. I didn't really monitor what I was doing to my hair, but it has always been in overall good condition. I've used the black, but I don't like my hair that dark, so I didn't keep it that way very long. I have two pictures of my hair using two different colors. I'll try to post below. My wedding pic is from 1999 - which was the dark brown I think, and the other pic is from 2000 and it was a med brown I think. You can't really see them because they are kinda grainy:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Oh, you're fine. Years ago, I normally rollerset my hair. However, I did use the curling iron quite a bit. I didn't really monitor what I was doing to my hair, but it has always been in overall good condition. I've used the black, but I don't like my hair that dark, so I didn't keep it that way very long. I have two pictures of my hair using two different colors. I'll try to post below. My wedding pic is from 1999 - which was the dark brown I think, and the other pic is from 2000 and it was a med brown I think. You can't really see them because they are kinda grainy:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Thanks. I think I am going to do it! I hope I get the "shimmer & highlights" it promises :grin:

I used it years ago and the hair that didnt break off I had to cut off. It was horrible. It was a hard dry damaged mess. Beautiful color while it lasted though :lol: I will say 1. I was relaxed and probably already overprocessed 2. I went lighter (blondish) 3. I had bad hair care practices which I'm SURE contributed. Even now, knowing how to care for my hair I wouldnt use it again but then again I probably wouldnt use any peroxide dye now.

I used it years ago and the hair that didnt break off I had to cut off. It was horrible. It was a hard dry damaged mess. Beautiful color while it lasted though :lol: I will say 1. I was relaxed and probably already overprocessed 2. I went lighter (blondish) 3. I had bad hair care practices which I'm SURE contributed. Even now, knowing how to care for my hair I wouldnt use it again but then again I probably wouldnt use any peroxide dye now.

See, its stories like these that scare me.....:nono:

Thanks for being honest!

not sure if they changed the formula
but i used it way back in 2002-2003-ish and it dried my hair out
i used almost every box hair color out and they are all very drying
like i said i don't know abt new formulas
but i only trust aveda permanent color in this head :yep:

I used feria about 2 years ago, not sure if it dried out my hair (pre-lhcf) but I think it worked better on my hair when it was natural (before I relaxed)

not sure if they changed the formula
but i used it way back in 2002-2003-ish and it dried my hair out
i used almost every box hair color out and they are all very drying
like i said i don't know abt new formulas
but i only trust aveda permanent color in this head :yep:

Thanks. Do you know if Aveda has a blue black color? Why do you like it so much?

Yep i used to use the starry night, about 5 years ago and it did dry my relaxed hair out... this was pre-lhcf as well.... so bad hair practices were used...

Yep i used to use the starry night, about 5 years ago and it did dry my relaxed hair out... this was pre-lhcf as well.... so bad hair practices were used...

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but can you tell me if it was REALLy blue black? Did it give you the shimmer & highlights? Also, did the blue fade, or pretty much stay around with the black?

I apologize for the numerous questions; thank you!

Have you considered Bigen? Everyone seems to like that color-and I think it's cheaper. I've used it before and the color stayed true and it didn't dry my hair out.

Have you considered Bigen? Everyone seems to like that color-and I think it's cheaper. I've used it before and the color stayed true and it didn't dry my hair out.

Thanks. Yes, I've used Bigen before, but I found it to give me a really 'flat' hair color. I want my hair to be 'prismatic'. :lachen:

But really, I guess I'm attracted to the Feria b/c I want my hair to have 'dimension', instead of being one, flat, hair color. I didn't find Bigen to be damaging, though.

I see that Dark & Lovely has a blue black color. Any ladies have experience with D&L?

Thanks. Yes, I've used Bigen before, but I found it to give me a really 'flat' hair color. I want my hair to be 'prismatic'. :lachen:

But really, I guess I'm attracted to the Feria b/c I want my hair to have 'dimension', instead of being one, flat, hair color. I didn't find Bigen to be damaging, though.

I see that Dark & Lovely has a blue black color. Any ladies have experience with D&L?

I use bigen and I love it. But I know exactly what you mean about the 'dimension' in the colors in Feria. Before my hair went south, I looooved the color. Lots of high lights and low lights. It looked about 4 different colors. It shimmered differently in different light, the contrast was really pretty.

The success of color is more dependent on the health and care of your hair before you color. If your hair isn't as healthy as it could possibly be, you will have problems. The care afterwards is critical too.

I used Feria a long time ago.
I didn't dislike it, but it didn't change my haircolor immediately.

I wanted it to be French Roast, but the color never changed.
THEN all of a sudden as it grew out and I played in the sun, it got lighter and lighter...

Okay, so I went to Sally's today....

I found that I can purchase my own level of developer :sekret:. SO, has anyone ever mixed a low level developer (volume 9 is the lowest I found), with a permanent color creme? The SA stated that I can technically make "my own" demi-permanent. They sell the individual bottles of the Feria color creme vs. the boxes in the drugstores, so I essentially can lower my risk of damage :spinning:.

What do you all think?

Feria hair color on relaxed hair was the reason I found this board. It left my hair extremely spongy and dry and it took me around two years to nurse my hair back to health. Maybe the reformulated product is better. And I only went around two shades lighter.

Back