is a little breakage normal?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Hey Lilmama1011, the answer differs based on who you ask but I say yes, a little is normal. Some manage breakage well so they may say no. I believe it's situational based on hair health, regimen and skill.

Amarilles

Hair breaking is normal if you're currently brushing/combing/washing it. If we're messing with hair, it's normal that it may break. Can one really say otherwise?

I personally expect to see some breakage while detangling. I do not expect breakage if I'm simply touching the hair a bit, unless it gets caught in a ring or something like. But it really depends on the duration, force and repetition of any given motion. Hair shouldn't be breaking while it's being left alone, but certainly it's normal if it snaps while we're handling it, especially with tools.

divachyk

Hair breaking is normal if you're currently brushing/combing/washing it. If we're messing with hair, it's normal that it may break. Can one really say otherwise?

I personally expect to see some breakage while detangling. I do not expect breakage if I'm simply touching the hair a bit, unless it gets caught in a ring or something like. But it really depends on the duration, force and repetition of any given motion. Hair shouldn't be breaking while it's being left alone, but certainly it's normal if it snaps while we're handling it, especially with tools.

Amarilles, yes - some say otherwise. Whether it's true is another story. Zero breakage has never and will never be my reality.

Last edited:

divachyk

I recently had a Komaza analysis and asked the question, what is considered a reasonable amount of hair that is lost to breakage on wash and non-wash day. They responded with "hair really shouldn't be breaking." They stated breakage is normally seen when the hair is lacking moisture but really shouldn't break otherwise (paraphrasing).

Lilmama1011

I recently had a Komaza analysis and asked the question, what is considered a reasonable amount of hair that is lost to breakage on wash and non-wash day. They responded with "hair really shouldn't be breaking." They stated breakage is normally seen when the hair is lacking moisture but really shouldn't break otherwise (paraphrasing).

That will never make sense to me. Hair isn't made out of steel

Last edited:

JessieLeleB

That's like saying if you have health nails they won't break or bc your skin is health it can't be injured... The body is not immoral...

ChocolatePie777

Doctor oz was just saying the same thing on tv...*rolls eyes*

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Of course it is. Especially, if you have thick strands. I had hair like Keshia Knight Pulliam as a little girl and whenever my mom combed my hair she had hair in the comb. When I got to this forum some posters said they had 4/5 strands after combing. I was like, "WHAT??????!?" LOL!

My comb would have 10x the amount. Now, I don't know if you mean breakage versus shedding but we lose about 50 - 100 hairs a day.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hair is going to break regardless to how healthy. That's how I see it. As long as you wash and dry it it is going to break. Hair is weakest when wet, so after you wash, you have to dry and drying take dealing with hair while wet. Even if you avoid tangles and manipulated your hair wet as little as possible, you still have to deal with dried hair. You hair also can't be balanced all the time. It can be healthy, but you'd have to be a unicorn to have healthy, balanced hair all the time.

There are also factors that cause breakage:
Chemicals such as relaxers, perms, texturizers, dyes and bleach
Seamed combs
Manipulation when wet
Moisture overload
Protein overload
Dry hair
Tangled hair
Brushing
Heat damage
Broken nails
Drying shampoo
Inadequate conditioner
Heavy handling by others
Unhealthy hair practices
Hormonal problems
Medications
Vitamin deficiencies
___________ insert your entry here

Breakage is inevitable and trying to battle it will drive you to a lithium pill. Excessive breakage should be evaluated but without breakage you wouldn't know what your hair needed. So is breakage bad? Not if it's reasonable and that varies based on each persons standards.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Some breakage is inevitable...especially when handling wet/damp hair. Our job is to minimixe the breakage by taking our time detangling and keeping our hair balanced with moisture and protein. I only see breakage on wash days and it only happens while my hair is wet.