Clear rinse caused breakage.. is it normal?

Neith

I used jazzing's clear rinse a few years back and I remember getting breakage.

It didn't cause any major hair loss, but for about a week or 2 after using it, my hair shed and broke off a little more than normal.

I shampooed, deep conditioned, then used the color.

Is that a normal reaction?

Are their any gentler clear rinses out there?

It's not normal for me. For the past three times that I have used a rinse I have had more breakage and I used different rinses. I don't know what to do because I love black hair and my natural color is that weird dusty dark brown color.

It's not normal for me. For the past three times that I have used a rinse I have had more breakage and I used different rinses. I don't know what to do because I love black hair and my natural color is that weird dusty dark brown color.

yeah I have never heard of rinses causing breakage, thats different! I use one in the front of my hair and have even left it on for hours. I will use it as often as up to every two weeks to a month. Shedding can be a reaction, but breakage from a rinse I cant put it together :perplexed:

So is it normal or not for you to have increased breakage?

yeah I have never heard of rinses causing breakage, thats different! I use one in the front of my hair and have even left it on for hours. I will use it as often as up to every two weeks to a month. Shedding can be a reaction, but breakage from a rinse I cant put it together :perplexed:

I experienced more of both. Definitely not enough for me to have real trouble with my hair (went back to normal fairly quickly), but enough for me to not like it.

Rinses kinda act like protein treatments so you have to be throughly moisturized first. You also have to watch the pH of the product. Some of the semi permanent colors have a little higher pH so sometimes running some acidifying conditioner or shampoo through afterwards isn't a bad idea. I like colors that make you rewash afterwards for this very reason.

So is it normal or not for you to have increased breakage?

I experienced more of both. Definitely not enough for me to have real trouble with my hair (went back to normal fairly quickly), but enough for me to not like it.

No, it is not normal for me to have breakage at all believe it or not. So when I see it I'm like "What have I done different to my hair lately?" and the common denominator is the rinses. I've used Natural Instincts Midnight Black (tore my hair up!), Dark and lovely Radiant Black, Then Roux black rinse.

Rinses kinda act like protein treatments so you have to be throughly moisturized first. You also have to watch the pH of the product. Some of the semi permanent colors have a little higher pH so sometimes running some acidifying conditioner or shampoo through afterwards isn't a bad idea. I like colors that make you rewash afterwards for this very reason.[/quote]

Makes sense.

Any recs?

Rinses kinda act like protein treatments so you have to be throughly moisturized first. You also have to watch the pH of the product. Some of the semi permanent colors have a little higher pH so sometimes running some acidifying conditioner or shampoo through afterwards isn't a bad idea. I like colors that make you rewash afterwards for this very reason.[/quote]

Makes sense.

Any recs?

Adore and Kiss are the only ones I can think of right now. I think it would work with anyone though. Just shampoo, apply the color and process. Rinse, shampoo again with a tad of poo, deep condition. I did this last week. I mixed half a bottle of adore rinse with john frieda clear glaze. I applied to my wet shampooed hair, processed with heat for 20 minutes and then rewashed and deep conditioned.

I'm starting to have this problem and I was wondering what was causing all of this breakage and today I realize that its that adore rinse thats doing it. before I applied my rinse my hair was so soft because I deep conditioned before applying it and after I put it in my hair my hair was so tangled and feeling kinda rough. I will change the way I apply my Rinse because Lord knows I love my black hair

yea sometimes rinses can do that. my hair always feels hard...similar to how it would feel if i was using a protein conditioner. So instead of the rinse being a final step....after i wash the color out....i use porosity control conditioner. leave it on for a few, then rinse it out. some of the color will rinse out...but i'd rather that than walking around with brittle hair

If my hair is still breaking when I remove my rollers from my rollerset I am going to use porosity control to get things back on track Thanks for the Info

I use rinses all the time, but I notice my hair is a little rougher than usual when I use Jazzing's clear rinse. I no longer use it :nono:

I never have any problems when I use rinses. I agree with Gymfreak, you have to moisturize after a rinse, it tends to dry out the hair a little bit.

I've been experiencing a lot of breakage on the top of my head and on my front hairline and the only difference I can think of is that I rinse the top of my hair every 2 weeks. I use a black rinse like velvet, adore or dark and lovely and my hair on top is dry,brittle and breaking while my hair in the back is growing at a good pace.

I like Via Natural Semi-Permanent Hair Color #10 is the clear rinse and their colors are really gentle and shiny:)

Back