Indigo Questions

vintageous

How do you indigo to achieve very black hair?
I already henna, but how do you use indigo after? Do you dry your hair after using henna, then use indigo? Or do you just apply the indigo to wet, just-hennaed hair? How do you mix the indigo powder for application, is it only water, or do you add other ingredients? How long do you leave it on? After using indigo, does the indigo color run from your hair (y'know staining clothes, pillowcases)? If so, for how long? Lastly, can anyone recommend a great place to buy indigo online? I know, I know, a lot of questions, LOL.
TIA! :) :) ;)

Last edited:

JLove74

How do you indigo to achieve very black hair?
apply henna, let it sit (I do at least 3 hours), rinse out. Immediately after (hair is still wet) apply the indigo.
Do you dry your hair after using henna, then use indigo? don't dry apply it to wet hair
How do you mix the indigo powder for application, is it only water, or do you add other ingredients? mix it with water (some people add salt, but I only add warm water), let it sit for a few minutes before using.
How long do you leave it on? at least 30 minutes to an hour
After using indigo, does the indigo color run from your hair (y'know staining clothes, pillowcases)? If so, for how long? I've only indigo'd once and it didn't stain. maybe a long time user will chime in on this
Lastly, can anyone recommend a great place to buy henna online?
I recommend hennaforhair or henna sooq to buy henna and indigo. Although you can get henna for cheaper in your local Indian grocery store. But I've never seen indigo.

vintageous

Thanx, Jlove74! :) I really appreciate your reply. Oops, I actually meant to ask for a place to buy indigo online, but I edited. But you answered my question anyway, lol. :)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Thanx, Jlove74! :) I really appreciate your reply. Oops, I actually meant to ask for a place to buy indigo online, but I edited. But you answered my question anyway, lol. :)

My Henna Indigo application came out perfectly (and I have a considerable amount of grey hair) and it is Relaxed, so I used Body Art Quality Henna for African American Hair.

I henna'd first. Mixed the Indigo with Hot Water. Applied the Indigo on Damp Henna'd Hair and Wrapped w/Saran Wrap and left it on for about an Hour. Hair turned out nice and black (grey was totally covered). Rinsed out with cheapie VO5 Conditioner, then DC with Heat with a good DC. It does not run, stain, etc... no problems at all. Rinse really well.

Ordered Henna & Indigo online at: Mehandi.com

Lucky's Mom

My Henna Indigo application came out perfectly (and I have a considerable amount of grey hair) and it is Relaxed, so I used Body Art Quality Henna for African American Hair.

I henna'd first. Mixed the Indigo with Hot Water. Applied the Indigo on Damp Henna'd Hair and Wrapped w/Saran Wrap and left it on for about an Hour. Hair turned out nice and black (grey was totally covered). Rinsed out with cheapie VO5 Conditioner, then DC with Heat with a good DC. It does not run, stain, etc... no problems at all. Rinse really well.

Ordered Henna & Indigo online at: Mehandi.com

Ah... Good to know - Doing this in a couple of weeks!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Ah... Good to know - Doing this in a couple of weeks!

It worked extremely well for me. No muss. No Fuss. It was actually easier than applying bottled color. And now that I've done it, I've applied Indigo several times (the Henna only Once) and My Hair looks soooo nice with each Application. Not only is the Color Fabulous without that dull cast that bottled color can sometimes give. It is soooo Shiny and Healthy Looking, it's literally Naturally Blinging. With Bottled Color, it seems like you always have to use something to get that shine. Henna/Indigo looks like a natural shine. It's great. I am very pleased.

My Hair is not Hard, Dry, none of that :nono:. I am impressed. Because I was looking for it to get clumped in my hair, it didn't. Nothing like some of the other "Horror" Stories I read in some of the posts. I was apprehensive about using it --- now........I wouldn't use anything else.

CurlyMoo

It worked extremely well for me. No muss. No Fuss. It was actually easier than applying bottled color. And now that I've done it, I've applied Indigo several times (the Henna only Once) and My Hair looks soooo nice with each Application. Not only is the Color Fabulous without that dull cast that bottled color can sometimes give. It is soooo Shiny and Healthy Looking, it's literally Naturally Blinging. With Bottled Color, it seems like you always have to use something to get that shine. Henna/Indigo looks like a natural shine. It's great. I am very pleased.

My Hair is not Hard, Dry, none of that :nono:. I am impressed. Because I was looking for it to get clumped in my hair, it didn't. Nothing like some of the other "Horror" Stories I read in some of the posts. I was apprehensive about using it --- now........I wouldn't use anything else.

How often do you Henna/Indigo?

Samory07

So are you just applying the indigo on top of your hair instead of applying the henna then the indigo?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
How often do you Henna/Indigo?

I've only Henna'd once. But I have done the Indigo several (at least 3 times) And each time the color is more vibrant and more shiny. Since the Henna 'grows' out at the roots, I think I probably won't have to apply it as often.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
So are you just applying the indigo on top of your hair instead of applying the henna then the indigo?

I did the 2 Step Process. I Henna'd First and then on damp freshly Henna'd Hair I applied the Indigo. Don't forget to add a Dash of Salt to the Indigo to make it Stain Darker since you are going for a Blue-Black Color. The Added Salt helps the Indigo to darken. I used about one Teaspoon of Salt.

anon123

bump bump :bump:

What if I don't care about dying my hair black and just want the strengthening effects of henna without any additional color? Do I have to both henna and indigo then? Can I just use indigo? I guess what I'm asking is if indigo by itself has the strengthening effect?

HERicane10

bump bump :bump:

What if I don't care about dying my hair black and just want the strengthening effects of henna without any additional color? Do I have to both henna and indigo then? Can I just use indigo? I guess what I'm asking is if indigo by itself has the strengthening effect?

Indigo requires a henna application to successfully bind to the hair. Henna alone will produce a color change, however if you want darker results rather than jet black to a 1-step with a 50-50 mix, depending on which end to want to lean towards - red or brown/black

anon123

Indigo requires a henna application to successfully bind to the hair. Henna alone will produce a color change, however if you want darker results rather than jet black to a 1-step with a 50-50 mix, depending on which end to want to lean towards - red or brown/black

Thanks. so are you saying indigo is useless without henna? I'm not talking about dying the hair, I'm only talking about strengthening it.

msa

Thanks. so are you saying indigo is useless without henna? I'm not talking about dying the hair, I'm only talking about strengthening it.

From what I've researched, yup it's useless and you could end up with blue hair.

HERicane10

YEP! The henna does more to strengthen, not the indigo. However, I have found that indigo seems to "release' my curl pattern more than henna. :look:

anon123

Thanks, everyone. Okay, so the indigo is not powerless; it might turn your hair blue and/or release your curl pattern. But it does not strengthen the hair, which is what I'd be looking for. I don't want henna's dye, only its strength, so to counteract the henna color I'd have to use both henna and indigo. Got it.

I think I'll pass. I tried henna once and was just barely coming around to the idea that the hassle might be worth one more go around. But to have to both henna and indigo? Not for me.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Thanks, everyone. Okay, so the indigo is not powerless; it might turn your hair blue and/or release your curl pattern. But it does not strengthen the hair, which is what I'd be looking for. I don't want henna's dye, only its strength, so to counteract the henna color I'd have to use both henna and indigo. Got it.

I think I'll pass. I tried henna once and was just barely coming around to the idea that the hassle might be worth one more go around. But to have to both henna and indigo? Not for me.

I Think You can Get the Stengthening Properties of Henna by Not Allowing the Dye to Release. You can mix the Henna with Water, Mix it with Conditioner etc....and Not allow the Dye to Release. I haven't tried this b/c I am looking for "Color." However, there are plenty of Women & Henna Threads of People Doing this for it's Strengthening Effects.:yep:

This will give you the Strengthening Properties of the Henna w/o the Color.

KLomax

I :heart2:henna & indigo. I leave the henna on for at least 2 hrs...rinse then apply indigo. I mix 1T of salt in the indigo. I leave it on as long as possible. If I have time I sleep with it in over night. I try to henna/indigo every 2 weeks for GHM(grey hair maintenance). Following is a picture after henna/indigo/rollerset.