Indian hair/good hair...work related madness!

qchelle

OMG!! The people I work with are driving me crazy!! It seems like whenever we start talking about ANYTHING hair related (styles, color, cuts) somebody ALWAYS seems to somehow bring it back to a good hair/Indian hair debate!!! If I hear one more person tell me their mother is a freaking INDIAN!!! OMG!! Like people will sit up here and straight up say ‘my mother is Indian…so that means I’M Indian, so I have gooooood hair’ or 'Some people just have n***a hair' or 'His mother's Puerto Rican...so he has good hair'. And the guy they were talking about?? He's bald!!! So they're just assuming he has 'goooood hair' cuz his momma Puerto Rican! AHHHH!!!!

And it’s not even like they’re TRYING to be ignorant…that’s just the way they refer to people’s hair. You either have n***a hair or Indian hair!! AGHHHHHH!!!!:wallbash: And these are old people AND young people...it's just everybody!!!

………*wooo-freakin-sah* It’s just soooo much ignorance…omg. Especially after being apart of this wonderful forum for so long (I’ve been a lurker) where people are educated and non-ignorant. It’s like I want to ask them ‘why can’t you just be like them?!?!?! Ahhh!!’ lol

Ok, rant over :spinning:if someone wants to talk hair anymore (especially when it’s a group of them…omg), I think I’ll just politely decline the conversation. I need to stop talking to these people...jeez lol

Glad you got that out of your system! They sound extra ignorant, I mean they use the n word when referring to hair? Are they ignorant about everything else as well? Or just hair lol?

The good hair/bad hair, I got something in my family other than black/african will NEVER go away. I don't understand why people always have a reason why their hair looks a certain way. When I was younger, this girl asked me if I had indian in my family & I'm like "nah my family is straight up african". She was wondering why my brother didn't have "nappy" & thought we were mixed w/ indian or another race.

The only way to avoid this mess is to not discuss hair b/c not every1 wants to be educated about hair b/c they are stuck in their way of thought.

What frustrates me, is that when you do mention that you have "something else" other than black/african in your background someone will say "Oh, that's why yo hair is like that"? :slap: Um, no....

My hair is like "this" because I take care of it!!!

Glad you got that out of your system! They sound extra ignorant, I mean they use the n word when referring to hair? Are they ignorant about everything else as well? Or just hair lol?

NO! That's just it! Otherwise, they seem very profressional! lol
But when they're talking about people's hair (and their own), they just use those terms. All non-chalant-like. As if they were discussing the weather. 'She has n***a hair', 'oh, yes, she does'.....is discussed in the same, calm tone as....'It's about 100 degrees outside' 'yea, it's really hot'. :lachen:omg

The good hair/bad hair, I got something in my family other than black/african will NEVER go away. I don't understand why people always have a reason why their hair looks a certain way. When I was younger, this girl asked me if I had indian in my family & I'm like "nah my family is straight up african". She was wondering why my brother didn't have "nappy" & thought we were mixed w/ indian or another race.

The only way to avoid this mess is to not discuss hair b/c not every1 wants to be educated about hair b/c they are stuck in their way of thought.

This is so true. Sometimes I'd try to instill some knowledge. Just a little, eency-weency-teeny-tiny-speck even lol...they just look at me as if I have 2 heads :drunk: I won't try anymore *sigh*

This is so true. Sometimes I'd try to instill some knowledge. Just a little, eency-weency-teeny-tiny-speck even lol...they just look at me as if I have 2 heads :drunk: I won't try anymore *sigh*

I gave up a long time ago. Ignorance runs bliss in their heads:nono:. It's like people especially black women can't give the person w/ long healthy hair credit. It's explained a way by saying "oh, she got indian/white or any other race/ethnic in her family" is the reason for her hair and not the actual process of taking care of her hair is the reason why her hair looks good.

almost every race has different ranges of hair going from straight to kinky.

That is why I don't carry on personal conversations with many of coworkers. I make sure we talk about business only or their personal life. It keeps me happy and problem free.

I used to be like whatever when I heard that stuff but now it irks me too. I remember recently on two different occasions women asking me about my hair and it being long and healthy.

So I said oh well you have a lot of hair so all you have to do is take care of it, moisturise and it will grow. I mentioned the basics, gave them names of products, but then I got "No my hair isn't like yours. Where are you from? Oh, you are mixed then. Aren't a lot of you mixed? That's why your hair is long":perplexed

Then I started to protest, no I am not mixed. I take care of my hair and I just told you how I do it:sad:

So all my healthy haircare efforts just get written off because of where I am from? I mean both of them just dismissed me. I just stopped talking after a while. It is frustrating sometimes.

The minute a black person hair is below SL they are automatically given Indian status.:lachen: If I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone claiming to be 1/16 Indian on their mother/daddy's side I would be rich. To be different I claim have distant Viking blood, just sounds more exotic.

The minute a black person hair is below SL they are automatically given Indian status.:lachen: If I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone claiming to be 1/16 Indian on their mother/daddy's side I would be rich. To be different I claim have distant Viking blood, just sounds more exotic.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I hear this mess a lot. Most Black Americans have Indian and/or white blood somewhere down the line. Nothing special there. I don't know what's wrong with folks. You'd think because the way information on the internet is freely available and everywhere that more people would find a good haircare board and learn that good hair/bad hair is about actually taking care of it!

i love it!!!!
i think i may start Reppin' an African tribe or two

Last edited:
Back