Im starting to think Shea Butter doesnt work for me :(

Qualitee

I dont think shea butter moisturize my hair at all. It gets really dry the next day. I spray some conditioner and water in my hair first, then add the shea butter (mixed with coconut oil) and then seal with coconut oil. Still dry. I think it gives me alot of build up too :(

hothair

I usually find that coconut oil on its own is kinda "drying" or "hardening" on my hair sometimes, I say mix the shea butter with castor oil or EVOO, that's how I've been using it and I like it a whole lot better than on its own. Also remember to use only a very little

chasturner84

It doesn't work for me at all. It keeps moisture out of my hair (so does coconut oil) and leaves it so dry. I have to use shea butter only for sealing and only on my ends because it is so heavy.

Sondice

Maybe try whipping it, maxing it with other oils, or maybe aloe vera gel, once I did this, it worked so much better

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
It doesn't work for me either. I tried using a little..using alot...clarifying..using it as a moisturizer...using it as a sealant...whipping it with coconut oil...castor oil....with EVOO...by itself...my hair just rejects it.
It works really nicely on my skin though, so that's how I'm using the stuff that I have left.

Have you tried other butters?
Avocado butter and sunflower butter are both nice, at least for my hair.

Qualitee

Maybe try clarifying and give it another go?
I did that 2 weeks ago and it still doesnt help:sad:
I usually find that coconut oil on its own is kinda "drying" or "hardening" on my hair sometimes, I say mix the shea butter with castor oil or EVOO, that's how I've been using it and I like it a whole lot better than on its own. Also remember to use only a very little
I'll try this thank you

Maybe try whipping it, maxing it with other oils, or maybe aloe vera gel, once I did this, it worked so much better
I melt the shea butter down with some coconut oil. Aloe vera gel? really? How did this work for you?

It doesn't work for me either. I tried using a little..using alot...clarifying..using it as a moisturizer...using it as a sealant...whipping it with coconut oil...castor oil....with EVOO...by itself...my hair just rejects it.
It works really nicely on my skin though, so that's how I'm using the stuff that I have left.

Have you tried other butters?
Avocado butter and sunflower butter are both nice, at least for my hair.
I've only tried shea and elasta qp mango butter.......do the other butters work differently?

NikkiGirl

I don't like using shea butter on my hair either. It feels sticky and very much like build-up on the hair. But it is awesome on small scars, shaving nicks, etc.

Sondice

Yea melt it down, and then when its liquid mix in like a little bit of some oil, and the aloe vera gel, like I had about 4oz of shea butter and mixed in like 1/2 teaspoon each of Brahmi and Avacado oils, and then like a tablesppon of aloe vera gel. Then stir and stir, and stir for prob like 5 min, put in the freezer for about 5, take it out and stir again, do this about 3 times, then keep in the freezer until it turns solid again, and there u have it :)

Eritreladiee

You're not the only one OP. Shea butter for skin- yes, but shea butter for hair- no. Something about it just doesn't feel right- like it has this sticky, plasticy, build-up effect. OP, do you have fine hair strands?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
It doesn't work for me either. Natural or relaxed.

As I said in an earlier thread, maybe my hair ain't from the same part of Africa as shea butter. :nono:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I use Aveda Be Curly as a leave in/moisturizer and seal with WGO. Sometimes I just squirt them both in my hands rub em together and keep it moving.

chebaby

shea butter is the best moisturizer for my hair. could it be the coconut oil that is drying your hair out? i love coconut oil but sometimes i find it to be drying esp. now that its colder.
try mixing your shea butter with evoo instead of coconut oil and see if it makes a difference.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I've only tried shea and elasta qp mango butter.......do the other butters work differently?

Elasta QP Mango Butter is such a lie...it smells really nice, but mango butter is like..the last ingredient on the list. There's like one molecule of mango butter in the whole jar and the rest of it is all that other stuff. :lachen:

IMO, they do different things. I can't empirically prove it, but it makes sense to me, plus I've noticed differences in how each have affected my hair.
Shea Butter just sat there..didn't do anything at all.
Avocado butter was pretty moisturizing and made my hair extremely smooth and soft, but it was a little heavy.
And Sunflower Butter didn't moisturize so well on it's own, but it sealed in moisture well, made my hair soft, and was the lightest out of the three that I've tried.

I have pure Mango Butter, but I haven't tried it yet.
I'll put the differences between them on my list of stuff to google.

SignatureBeauty

Shea butter don't work for my hair either, seems like a natural version of mineral oil lol!! I know it works wonders for most, but for me natural or relaxed it doesn't work, it leaves my hair hard & greasy & sticky. I have mixed it with everything and used it alone, and tiny amounts, My hair just don't like it!

I was so glad when Qhemet came out because she didn't use shea butter! that was a hairsaver!

SiobhanM

Shea butter doesnt do it for my hair either. It worked a somewhat on my relaxed hair. But not on my natural hair. I find it very drying. I have thick hair I thought it would work wonders, sadly it didnt.
The only thing that has been working for me is curl free. But i want to find an all natural alternative. I may just mix water and glycerin because that is all it seems to be.

Fhrizzball

I mix mine with castor oil and macadamia nut oil with more oil than butter. I emulsify it in my hand with it and not have it pre-mix.