I'm getting braids! Got any tips?

Determined22

I finally found a braider (yay!) and I'm getting individuals on Friday morning :grin:

I haven't had braids since '99, so I need some tips on what to do before, during and after I have my braids. How soon before Friday should I wash? Should I flatiron my new growth or just leave it alone? Any recommendations on products to use while the braids are in? How often should I shampoo, with what products and how? And how long should I leave them in?

Thanks ladies!

Misseyl

I don't know if I have any tips but I've been wearing box braids since April and what I've done is to wash every 2 weeks w/CON shampoo and spray on Scurl as needed. I also re-braid every 4/5 weeks and then call it a day. It's coming along nicely and I was surprised to see how much it had grown since my last braiding. I intend to continue this regime until April 2008, then I might give myself a touch-up. I'm not sure right now, it all depends on how I feel

baby42

I finally found a braider (yay!) and I'm getting individuals on Friday morning :grin:

I haven't had braids since '99, so I need some tips on what to do before, during and after I have my braids. How soon before Friday should I wash? Should I flatiron my new growth or just leave it alone? Any recommendations on products to use while the braids are in? How often should I shampoo, with what products and how? And how long should I leave them in?

Thanks ladies!
i i bring all my own things to the braider comb my LR I DONT let her use that black gel or use a rat tail comb on my head or use heat i wash it the night before do a protein treament a good deep con and i do the C&G way to wash my hair every two week or if i feel like it once a week i still deep con in them too cause they are individual i retight my self i use infusium 23 and a moistureizer i dont use a braid spray my hair dont like them so that why i use just a good moisturizer . i would not flatiron before i got braids, dont let them braid your temples too tight i am not a good one to ask how long to live in cause i am doing a year:lachen:with out takeing them out so far i it been sents april i think BUT I AM TAKEING CARE OF THEM. AND ITS MY OWN HAIR SO I REBAID WHEN I NEED TO:yep:someone will come in here a let you know about that happy growing.

Last edited:

glamazon386

I would wash the night before. Do a DC and a protein treatment (if you do those). And leave your new growth alone. Don't flat iron it. It'll be easier for the braids to stay in if you have new growth.

growth2come

I practically live in braids all year. I get my ghanian braids done and I can usually keep them 2-3 months. I usual wait about 1-2 weeks before the first wash as the hair is a bit tight as shampooing would be you are already tagging at tight hair which may risk pulling some out (so I wait till its not such a pinch). After that I wash weekly as normal but moisturise twice a day and oil every other day. But you may need more than the usual as the rest just get absorbed by the extensions....Before each renewal of braiding I do either a protein or deep condition treatment depending on the state of my hair.

glamazon386

I practically live in braids all year. I get my ghanian braids done and I can usually keep them 2-3 months. I usual wait about 1-2 weeks before the first wash as the hair is a bit tight as shampooing would be you are already tagging at tight hair which may risk pulling some out (so I wait till its not such a pinch). After that I wash weekly as normal but moisturise twice a day and oil every other day. But you may need more than the usual as the rest just get absorbed by the extensions....Before each renewal of braiding I do either a protein or deep condition treatment depending on the state of my hair.

What are Ghanian braids?

growth2come

Usually with the normal conrow they start with a chunk of extentions and continue to the end which has been know to eat up the natural hair on the fron hair line. So with the ghanian braids(conrows), they start of with as little of the extensions as poss and then add on as you go long the conrow. So when you look at the finished hair done the start of it looks thin and then gets bigger. I think one if my pictures in my album has a picture with of me in braids. But since doing them I have noticed I dont lose that much hair on my hair line.

Last edited:

growth2come

I have just added some old pictures to my fotki so that you can see the pictures of the braids. But I as I hadnt joined the forum then I didnt take proper pictures...next time I will take close ups as I am going to have then re-done next week.

C

chica_canella

1.) Don't get the braids to tight.

2.) Don't get them smaller than pencil-size. Personal preference.

3.) Make sure your hair is moisturized before getting the braids.

4.) You can use African Royale leave-in conditoner with Infusium 23 leave in for protein.

5.) Sponge moisturize the braids so it will actually get to your hair because just spraying may not do the job. Do this at least every three days depending on how much your hair needs moisture i.e. natural dryness, climate, etc.

glamazon386

Usually with the normal conrow they start with a chunk of extentions and continue to the end which has been know to eat up the natural hair on the fron hair line. So with the ghanian braids(conrows), they start of with as little of the extensions as poss and then add on as you go long the conrow. So when you look at the finished hair done the start of it looks thin and then gets bigger. I think one if my pictures in my album has a picture with of me in braids. But since doing them I have noticed I dont lose that much hair on my hair line.

Ohhhh they call them feeding cornrows here.

poetist

Definitely check out growafrohairlong.com. She gives great advice on how to pretreat your natural hair and the braiding hair (with a acv mixture.) She also give info on how to moisturize the hair.

zora

I have just added some old pictures to my fotki so that you can see the pictures of the braids. But I as I hadnt joined the forum then I didnt take proper pictures...next time I will take close ups as I am going to have then re-done next week.

They look good. How long does it take to braid?

growth2come

I used to have singles braids in before, now I wouldnt even dream of them as they took forever. These conrows(or feeding conrows:spinning:) only take about two or maybe two and half hours which is great because I dont miss the butt-numbing:lachen: effect of sitting for hours doing the pick n drop or singles....It doesnt take long - maybe the lady who does them has got used to my hair as she has been doing them since I went natural.

Misseyl

I just checked out your Fotik and your braids look lovely. How do you keep those things in so long w/our rebraiding?... After 4 weeks my box braids are begging for a touchup.

Country gal

I would not flat iron your hair. I would always wash my hair but would not follow up with conditioner. I was told a long time ago to not add conditioner to my hair before braids. I don't know if it makes the hair easier to braid.

I plan on getting braids or a sewn in weave as a protective style. I want my hair to grow and get a break from styling.