I'm Bored With My HAIR!!!

LaFemmeNaturelle

I need some detangling/styling/psychological :)lachen:) help! I'm about 9 months post and I'm about to go crazy out of boredom because I wear my hair in the same styles every freakin day! Because of the way I detangle (in 4 sections) I always end up only wearing styles with middle parts and I'm reeeeaaaalllyyy getting sick of it. I think this started at 6 months post because I notioced my hair would get really tangled if I brushed my hair to the back. So I've had to cut out my fav go to style wet buns. All I do are braidouts and messy buns/ponies.:wallbash:

I used to love the style but now it's getting real ugly because I see it so much. Ladies, please help me out! How do you get your hair to cooperate and go to the back without causing massive tangles?

This question is open to all naturals, transitioners, long-term stretchers...

I'm over here wishing for the cold weather to come so I can start using heat:rolleyes:

ETA: I don't have detangling issues when I do it in the 4 sections; just when I try to move that part around

lilsparkle825

you tried oil rinses to detangle? maybe they would allow you to wear your hair in other directions/parts. if i already suggested that, sorry....i've been preaching lately cause they work so well!

LaFemmeNaturelle

lol I haven't done one since about 4 months post. I used to do them to detangle and they stopped working. Maybe I should revist it. What kind of oil do you use?

lilsparkle825

i use EVOO, EVCO and castor oil mixed together.

oh yeah....

twist and curl
braid and curl
flat twists into bun
cornrows
wet sets (i set mine on sponge rollers covered in satin overnight)

these are some of the things on my list....

Last edited:

Candy828

:wavey:Hi Lady! I know it is easy to become bored with your hair.... Why not try using some "Hair Toys"... i.e. Forks, Hair Sticks, Clips...etc.?

LaFemmeNaturelle

YES YES I'm going to buy an EZ comb tomorrow and probably try the oil rinse this weekend! Where do you buy your hair sticks and forks from?

Candy828

YES YES I'm going to buy an EZ comb tomorrow and probably try the oil rinse this weekend! Where do you buy your hair sticks and forks from?

Since there is an abundance of them in the stores where I am at, I have been buying them there. But CelinaStarr just posted on the CL Thread, page 28, a long list of places to get them from. So you might be interested in checking those places out.

Last edited:

makeupvixen

Some days I wear a babushka that I got from etsy (I have about 20 different ones) over a wash and go.

Babushka over twist out.
Babushka pulled back with two braids on the sides and a flower
Babushka with bun cover (I have 10 bun covers) They protect my ends.

Two braids on the side with a hair net in the back and a flower on the side

Bun with bun cover and a small flower towards the top right of the bun and a small one underneath the bun.

I use the plastic bang insert to create a hump as my bag, parted to the side, brush the rest of my hair into a an afro ponytail (low) and add a headband (I like ones with jewels).

I'm going to do a youtube video of styles in your honor soon.

SweetSpirit86

^^^^What's a Babushka?

It's the headwrap Russians use.

lilsparkle825

So what do you do? Saturate your hair with this after you shampoo? And detangle as you rinse it out? Or.....?
Did you figure it out? I know I'm late.

rinse (or shampoo and rinse)
add oil, let it sit a few minutes
rinse with HOT water
condition -- i just cowash
detangle HERE
rinse with cold water to seal cuticle

LaFemmeNaturelle

Did you figure it out? I know I'm late.

rinse (or shampoo and rinse)
add oil, let it sit a few minutes
rinse with HOT water
condition -- i just cowash
detangle HERE
rinse with cold water to seal cuticle

Naw I haven't detangled yet....think it's been almost 3 weeks. Still wearing my center part lol I'm gonna try it this week!

lilsparkle825

erm....why would you post that gif? even more so, after reading all the people saying it was scary, why would i scroll up to look at it? :nono:

EVOO is wonderfull for detangle...also sunflower oil obsorbs more and makes it smooth and shiny(i dont rinse it) ....oils are a good thing when you find the ones that work for you

LaFemmeNaturelle

I did an oil rinse with my mixture that I normally use for sealing (coconut oil, evoo, sunflower oil, castor oil). Didn't work. It actually made detangling harder but it does feel much softer. I may re-visit when I'm natural but the relaxed hair doesn't like it too much

ETA: You know what lilsparkle? I didn't rinse with HOT water like you said because by the time I was done with my hair, the water had turned cold so I showered and rinsed in semi-cold water. Oh well.

Last edited:
I did an oil rinse with my mixture that I normally use for sealing (coconut oil, evoo, sunflower oil, castor oil). Didn't work. It actually made detangling harder but it does feel much softer. I may re-visit when I'm natural but the relaxed hair doesn't like it too much

ETA: You know what lilsparkle? I didn't rinse with HOT water like you said because by the time I was done with my hair, the water had turned cold so I showered and rinsed in semi-cold water. Oh well.

I am natural...I should have mentioned that..Don't give up though I'm sure someone is going to mention somthin that will work.. Your mixture is similar to one I use on my scalp and ends I just add Vatika, vitemin E and aloe vera Joice.

davisbr88

My detangling problems reduced significantly when I started using donna marie miracurl conditioner/detangler. It melted my tangles away. I think I read that it's the methosulfate or something that makes detangling a breeze, so maybe try to find a detangler with that in it if you don't want to use the dm. Personally, once I started using it in June, I haven't picked up another product to help with detangling or as a leave-in condish (it's a GREAT leave-in) since and I doubt I will again.

LaFemmeNaturelle

So although it was a bit harder to detangle last night, my hair was so smooth and soft today and it was easy for me to move my hair around so I wore a high bun today! I looked cute I'm so happy to finally get rid of that middle part! I will probably add oil rinses in my reggie and will wear my hair up with cute little flowers this week! I want new accessories but I guess I will have to work with what I have cause I got bills to pay. Thanks everyone!

lilsparkle825

^^ You know you aren't right for not posting pics.
What she said.

I was sad when you said it didn't make detangling a breeze, but it sounds like you got some benefit out of it....and I'm really glad you got rid of that middle part :lachen:

Seems to me that really saturating your hair in the oil and rinsing it well with the hot water, then soaking the excess oil up with the conditioner are the keys. Now show us the bun!