I'm Afraid of Gel!! Am I Alone?

MrJohnsonsRib

caramelDelight87- Your old styling techniques sound just like mines and LMBO at the roomate dipping the brush in gel- that was me!! Oh Lawd!! I was so terrible at hair!! LOL!

classychic1908

I love my gel, my hair is so frizzy that without it I'd have more poof than curl. I think that there is a science to using gels though. I really learned a lot from our caucasian sisters in that regard.

SweetSpirit86

Ever since I found out about EcoStyler here on the forum, I'm not afraid of it anymore. I was, however, in the past deathly afraid of it...especially the brown gel.:lachen: I hated the rock hard feeling, and the fact that it felt like all my hair was going to just spontaneously fall out when I tried to wash it out.:nono:

Prudent1

You are not alone...I have never suffered damage from gel abuse but know several ppl who did. So, I have been deathly:freakout: afraid to put the stuff in my hair for years:look:. However, now that all of you have mentioned products you've gotten great but harmless results from, I'm willing to give them a try. I have been using Ion Styling Solutions Texturizing Hair Wax from Sally Beauty for (about $6) when I want a little extra hold w/o flaking etc. I've been so paranoid. I won't let even the wax stay in for too long.:giggle:

Lovie

Elasta QP Mango Butter has a nice hold for edges

eta: I would never use Gel

Co-signing on the EQP Mango Butter. Forgot about that one! Good hold, doesn't "melt", and they are yummy ingredients for your hair's edges too, which is a bonus.

jupitermoon

I don't like gel either. I've never used a gel that didn't dry my hair out. Dry hair for me= lots of tangles= difficulty in combing= breakage. :nono:

Gel works for a lot of people but not for me. I just embrace my frizz and all of my hair's imperfections, lol.

melodies815

Fantasia IC gel does wonders for my hair when I do wet-set twistouts. It really makes the most beautiful, frizz-free styles for me that are still very, very soft. I out shea butter under the gel and haven't had any problems yet.

ITA with you on the brown gel, though. It made my hair grow out beautifully when I had locs, but that's the only time it worked well. Usually, it just caused breakage over time...

I love IC though! :yep:

cj

~CurlyNikki~

I'm afraid of gel too!
When I first went natural, I thought I needed gel to control and hold my curls. I always dreamed of big hair and didn't understand why I couldn't achieve it...duh, it was the 10 pounds of Fantasia IC weighing it down and drying it out! When I was shingling and wash-n-going with gel, my hair was always dry and brittle.

I now twist-n-curl or twist-out and style with conditioner (I like Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine or DevaCare One Condition), and use DevaCurl Set it Free (a liquid spray) for hold. Great combo and my hair lasts for days :)

anon123

I'm scared of gel. I have a serious gel aversion. I find it icky. I remember someone did my hair as a child and brushed my edges down with this nasty dark brown goo. I was so disgusted. I went home immediately and washed it off. I still don't have gel and have no experience with it. I've never bought it.

suburbanbushbabe

I would be afraid if I used a protein gel too. But there are great gels out there that actually improve the health of my hair: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Theraneem Leaf & Aloe Vera Gel are 2 of them. My hair needs these types of gels.