Im a little scared now

divine

Im reading the stuff on my Vo5 and on this other site that says avoid and this is what I found that Vo5 has and what u sould void

Urea (Imidazolidinyl) & DMDM Hydantoin
These are preservatives that release formaldehyde. Formaldehyde can irritate the respiratory system, cause
skin reactions and trigger heart palpitations. Exposure to formaldehyde may cause joint pain, allergies, depression, headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness, and loss of sleep. It can also aggravate coughs and colds, and trigger asthma. Other possible side effects include weakening the immune system and cancer. Formaldehyde releasing ingredients are very common in nearly all store brands of skin, body, and hair care, antiperspirants, and nail polish.

PEGs (PolyEthylene Glycol) and Propylene Glycol
PEGs are used to thicken products. Propylene Glycol is the active ingredient in automobile antifreeze, this is found in all kinds of personal care products. Propylene Glycol is known for its ability to penetrate the skin.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate
These are used in shampoos for their detergent and foam building abilities. They can cause causes eye irritations and allergic reactions. An American College of Toxicology study also reports: "Both Sodium and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate appear to be safe in formulations designed for discontinuous, brief use followed by thorough rinsing from the surface of the skin. In products intended for prolonged contact with skin, concentrations should not exceed 1%." There is concern they may cause problems with developing eyes (in young children). These are also in toothpaste.

Synthetic Fragrances
Most deodorants, shampoos, sunscreens, skin care, body care, and baby products contain fragrance. Many of the compounds in fragrances are carcinogenic or otherwise toxic. “Fragrance on a label can indicate the presence of many (we've seen numbers ranging from 200 to 4,000) separate ingredients. Most, or all, of them are synthetic. Symptoms reported to the FDA have included headaches, dizziness, rashes, skin discoloration, violent coughing and vomiting, and allergic skin irritation.

Redkens has
Isopropyl Alcohol
As a solvent and denaturant (a poisonous substance that changes another substance's natural qualities), alcohol is found in hair color rinses, body rubs, hand lotions, after-shave lotions, fragrances, and many other cosmetics and personal care products. A petroleum-derived substance, it is also used in antifreeze and as a solvent in shellac and diluted essential oils. According to A Consumer’s Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients, ingestion or inhalation of the vapor may cause headaches, flushing dizziness, mental depressions, nausea, vomiting, narcosis, anesthesia, and coma.

doo-grow leavin has
Methyl, Propyl, Butyl, and Ethyl Paraben
Researchers from the Department of Biology and Biochemistry of Brunel University in the United Kingdom have conducted a study and found that the parabens – alkyl hydroxy parabens — alpha hydroxy benzoate (methyl-, ethyl-, propyl-, and butyl-paraben) are weakly estrogenic. In other words, these preservatives have a similar effect in the body of estrogen. They are used as inhibitors of microbial growth to extend the shelf life of products. These are extremely common preservatives and are generally thought to be safe. They are almost impossible to avoid

Motions has

These are used in shampoos for their detergent and foam building abilities. They can cause causes eye irritations and allergic reactions. An American College of Toxicology study also reports: "Both Sodium and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate appear to be safe in formulations designed for discontinuous, brief use followed by thorough rinsing from the surface of the skin. In products intended for prolonged contact with skin, concentrations should not exceed 1%." There is concern they may cause problems with developing eyes (in young children). These are also in toothpaste.

Researchers from the Department of Biology and Biochemistry of Brunel University in the United Kingdom have conducted a study and found that the parabens – alkyl hydroxy parabens — alpha hydroxy benzoate (methyl-, ethyl-, propyl-, and butyl-paraben) are weakly estrogenic. In other words, these preservatives have a similar effect in the body of estrogen. They are used as inhibitors of microbial growth to extend the shelf life of products. These are extremely common preservatives and are generally thought to be safe. They are almost impossible to avoid.

http://www.treasuredlocks.com/blhacafa.html#transition

With all this I can't use this
is it safe to use ?

lillian743

Thats why I dont wanna use shampoo anymore, cause of all that bad stuff. But I have to have clean hair!

Divine! I was trying to forget about all the bad stuff in those products, but now that you bring them back to mind, Im scared!

AllAboutTheHair

I remember formaldehyde from science class. They use it to preserve the dead animals and body parts we use to work on for biology. Hmmmmm interesting
. The companies use this stuff to preserve our hair, since its dead anyway.

simcha

There are alot of products out there that don't contain those ingredients.
Carol's Daughter, Shaman, Nature's Gate, Ebene, Gisou etc... I have been trying to gravitate to the use of these natural products. Carol's Daughter has a website and so does Ebene (alot of shea butter products). Gisou can be bought on line. Shaman and Nature's Gate can be found at Health Food Stores.

It is frightening when you start looking into what ingredients are in the products we use. I buy organic food and free-range, grain fed meat for that reason because of the crap that is being done to it.

I won't even get started...

divine

If I don't like one then im done....
it was that mimosa hair honey stuff...
ugh.....
sitting on my dresser

divine

their a good glob missing cuz me and my friend both tried it, but theris enough to last u a couple of washes ...
if u want it just let me know..
i'll mail it tou for free

Ayeshia

ah well imma die anyway.... i mean i havent heard about anyone dying in the news from an overdose of V05 products so immma still use them

Ayeshia

Plus is if this stuff is found in conditioners just imagine the ingredients found in relaxers and other chemical treatments.When i took a course in organic chemistry I learned that sometimes when you mix two harmful substances together the compund formed can be harmless. Hence table salt (pure chlorine and sodium) IMO if it was such a health threat we would have heard more info regarding it.

However it is good to take precautions.

Bobbie

I agree. There are other harmful chemicals we put in our hair. Vo5 would've been recalled if it posed a health threat.

Chin

You know what, I have seen DMDM Hydantoin in candy before. This stuff is even in lotion and deodorant and in some processed foods.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
divine said:
Im reading the stuff on my Vo5 and on this other site that says avoid and this is what I found that Vo5 has and what u sould void

Urea (Imidazolidinyl) & DMDM Hydantoin
These are preservatives that release formaldehyde. Formaldehyde can irritate the respiratory system, cause
skin reactions and trigger heart palpitations. Exposure to formaldehyde may cause joint pain, allergies, depression, headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness, and loss of sleep. It can also aggravate coughs and colds, and trigger asthma. Other possible side effects include weakening the immune system and cancer. Formaldehyde releasing ingredients are very common in nearly all store brands of skin, body, and hair care, antiperspirants, and nail polish.

PEGs (PolyEthylene Glycol) and Propylene Glycol
PEGs are used to thicken products. Propylene Glycol is the active ingredient in automobile antifreeze, this is found in all kinds of personal care products. Propylene Glycol is known for its ability to penetrate the skin.

Synthetic Fragrances
Most deodorants, shampoos, sunscreens, skin care, body care, and baby products contain fragrance. Many of the compounds in fragrances are carcinogenic or otherwise toxic. “Fragrance on a label can indicate the presence of many (we've seen numbers ranging from 200 to 4,000) separate ingredients. Most, or all, of them are synthetic. Symptoms reported to the FDA have included headaches, dizziness, rashes, skin discoloration, violent coughing and vomiting, and allergic skin irritation.

Redkens has
Isopropyl Alcohol
As a solvent and denaturant (a poisonous substance that changes another substance's natural qualities), alcohol is found in hair color rinses, body rubs, hand lotions, after-shave lotions, fragrances, and many other cosmetics and personal care products. A petroleum-derived substance, it is also used in antifreeze and as a solvent in shellac and diluted essential oils. According to A Consumer’s Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients, ingestion or inhalation of the vapor may cause headaches, flushing dizziness, mental depressions, nausea, vomiting, narcosis, anesthesia, and coma.

doo-grow leavin has
Researchers from the Department of Biology and Biochemistry of Brunel University in the United Kingdom have conducted a study and found that the parabens – alkyl hydroxy parabens — alpha hydroxy benzoate (methyl-, ethyl-, propyl-, and butyl-paraben) are weakly estrogenic. In other words, these preservatives have a similar effect in the body of estrogen. They are used as inhibitors of microbial growth to extend the shelf life of products. These are extremely common preservatives and are generally thought to be safe. They are almost impossible to avoid

Motions has

Researchers from the Department of Biology and Biochemistry of Brunel University in the United Kingdom have conducted a study and found that the parabens – alkyl hydroxy parabens — alpha hydroxy benzoate (methyl-, ethyl-, propyl-, and butyl-paraben) are weakly estrogenic. In other words, these preservatives have a similar effect in the body of estrogen. They are used as inhibitors of microbial growth to extend the shelf life of products. These are extremely common preservatives and are generally thought to be safe. They are almost impossible to avoid.

http://www.treasuredlocks.com/blhacafa.html#transition

With all this I can't use this
is it safe to use ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll find urea in most products for your hair and skin. It's from urine and is a natural moisturizer.

simcha

Unfortunately, I don't think they do. I'm actually waiting for shea butter regenerating oil treatment from Ebene and one of the shampoos, the tui hair smoothie and hair milk from Carol's Daughter. With the exception of the hair milk I haven't tried the other ones.