Ignorance is bliss

beana3

I have always known that heat is bad for the hair, but now i feel guilty everytime i use it. I would not even regard blow drying my hair every week as unsual, now i feel like a sinner!

Lately i prefer straight and sleek styles, which i was never able to fully enjoy due to previously underprocessed hair. I find myself reaching for the blow dryer quite often and sitting under the hair dryer on the regular. Plus i just purchased the jilbere flat iron!!!!

Hopefully when summer comes around, and sticks around i'll be less prone to using heat. I'm thinking that the following regime every 2 weeks is okay, hot oil, wash, deep condit, comb out, blow dry on COLD and run through with a flat iron using a heat protectant. is this okay ladies???

Plus is the blow dryer evil in itself, or is the heat generated from it the problem?? Will a cold setting even damage my hair at all?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I think that I'm the only one on this forum who thinks blow dryers are Ok. However, I only think that it is less damaging if it is used WITHOUT the comb attachment. If I blow dry my hair, I hold it several inches away from my hair and use a brush to grip the ends of my hair to hold it taut. I use heat, not cold, to blow dry. I think this method is less damaging than sitting under a hood dryer for 45-60 minutes. I don't know about the flat iron, since I've never used one, but I'd think that every 2 weeks would be ok. I used to blow dry and use the curling iron every week many years ago. Never had a problem with breakage. My hair was thick and below bra-strap length. I'd use that process again without hesitation.

ny2atl

Beana...
You sinner you!!

I've been heat free for almost 3 months now!
My hair is
me for it.
There has been such a noticeable difference in my hair. Lots of growth too. Growth that would have otherwise been on my bathroom floor looking up at me...

My hair stylist argued at my last touch up that the blow dryer is fine as long as your hair is clean. I truly begged to differ but didn't go into it with her. My last visit with her was Saturday and she told me to make an appointment with her to come for some protein. I asked why. She said to maintain "whatever this growth spurt you're experiencing."
I then reminded her that I wanted a roller set and not the blow dryer and this time she said "I've been trying to tell you that all along."
All I could do was laugh.... (at her). I said alllll of that to say that I hope you don't get addicted to the heat again girl. It's a Lou Lou!!!

Oh yeah, I do think the blow dryer is worse than the hooded dryer because the blow dryer is DIRECT heat on the hair strands.

G

I think as long as the hair has plenty of moisture, heat is fine. I would shy away, however, from direct heat. Meaning, no flat irons, but blow dryers are okay.

cheveux

I have to agree with you NY2AT. I posted on the thread about the Jilbere Flat Irons and felt a little guilty stealing folks' thunder as they were trying to find the flat irons before the price increased. The reality is, I don't have any self restraint when it comes to heat appliances. My best bet is to get them out of my house (w/ the exception of a heating cap and hooded hair dryer). I've only been following the advice on this forum for a few weeks but I can already tell, especially from my ends, that restricting heat to the hair dryer is the best thing for me. I ultimately had to acknowledge a few problems with the blow dryer - the direct heat, the use of the brush and the pulling on the hair and scalp. I love the look of a straight style on me but I know I can be compulsive with the heat. I readily acknowledge that most of you seem to be far more disciplined with heat than I am. It is definitely a weakness of mine.

beana3

thanks for the responses ladies. i'll be charting my heat usage and exmaining the longterm effects of it on my hair. If i notice any alarming negatives i'll post about it.

BTW, i never had much luck with airdrying in the ponytail method as far as my hair drying straight. I always end up with knotted, dry looking hair

ineedmoney

omg i feel you . me and heat used to be like peas and carrtot( and yes i did go there w/ the forrest gump analogy!) my cheer coach wantss our hair styled for games. so that means if i'm natural i 'm in braids. only problem is briads aren't cheap and i got that good hot comb right in the kithcen.
times that by the fact that i'm starting to find a pressing process that actually makes me look decent, and my new hot and god flat iron that gave me the just the cutest looking bob. i was a feen!
the result. my ends split quiker, damgage and my lovely little afro has straight strands
but i did it to myself.( and odly enough this was partly fixed with the apoghee treatment. ain't that crazy!) since i have no games to cheer for i'm trying to sneak in some length before school starts.no heat! all summer!just say no girl. fight it!

honeycomb719

I to have a feeling of guilt, but I haven't noticed anything bad. I'm using the heat once a week to, because like you air-drying wasn't getting it straight. I'm in braids at the moment to give my hair a break from me touching it, but I don't see know harm, long as your NOT using it on the highest heat level, and using a protectant along w/ it. That's what I do.