If you want good growth....

Miss AJ

Simply develop a good regimen and stick with it! I have always been the person who would change her regimen at least once a month lol. I've been with my current regimen for the past 2 months and my hair is progressing very well and the fruits of my labor are not going unnoticed. My friends at work have been saying how long my hair is getting and one even remembered how long ago I cut it, I thought he was on the growth journey with me for a second lol. I'm saying all this to say that sure you may get 5 inches of growth in one month (i'm clearly exaggerating lol) from something in a bottle, but it's much better to get great growth from something practical and easy as cake.....consistency with a healthy hair regimen. Healthy hair will have a nice growth rate, the length will come when the health of your hair is at it's best.

MizzCoco

Yes I spent the whole first year of my journey messing up my hair from trying new things every other week. I totally agree, I just wish it were simple to find a regi that works, thats half the battle!

NIN4eva

Yes, I'm convinced that prepooing with oils, DCing, and rollersetting weekly AND omitting heat completely will be my key to healthy hair. Rollersetting is a ***** though. I'm ashamed to say I bought 4 different kinds of rollers before I found the right one...

southerncitygirl

excercise, eat well, take a multi and efa's .
also,consistency is key and be gentle with your hair...retention is the name of the game.

Miss AJ

I agree. For the most part I do the same regimen, but I get so bored with products. I have to switch it up.

Oh yea, I can't really speak on sticking with the same products lol. For me it was trying the latest technique (baggying, DCing on dry hair with heat, oil rinsing). Everytime a new method was raved about I was right on the bandwagon no matter how well what I was already doing was working. I just recently hopped on the growth aid bandwagon and the sulfur oil did work for me, MT not so much (I'm DCing with it right now cuz I refuse to throw away $50 lol), but once I saw how my broken areas were suffering with my random hair care, I sat down and developed a solid twist/braid out regimen and made myself stick with it and I am very happy with the outcome.

Janet'

OP, ITA...When I think back to when my hair retained the most length, it was when my mom has a weekly routine or washing, blow drying, pressing, and then plaitting (sp?) my hair...Consistency is key to a successful life- why shouldn't it be the same for our hair? Great point!

MsSonya

Thanks for this. :yep: I have only been on my journey seriously for about 2mths. I have to decide on my rountine and stick to it. So I guess I should be more patient. :ohwell: And this gives me hope..."the length will come when the health of your hair is at it's best."

Miss AJ

MsSonya: Patience was the hardest thing for me to learn and I've been at this for about 7 years now. If something wasn't working for me within a month I was done with it. Looking back, I wasted so much time trying to search the boards looking for the miracle product to grow back in my thinned out, broken areas when all I had to do all along was minimize manipulation, keep my hair moisturized, and incorporate more protein. The latter is working as fast as I expected the growth aids to work.

Geminigirl

Oh yea, I can't really speak on sticking with the same products lol. For me it was trying the latest technique (baggying, DCing on dry hair with heat, oil rinsing). Everytime a new method was raved about I was right on the bandwagon no matter how well what I was already doing was working. I just recently hopped on the growth aid bandwagon and the sulfur oil did work for me, MT not so much (I'm DCing with it right now cuz I refuse to throw away $50 lol), but once I saw how my broken areas were suffering with my random hair care, I sat down and developed a solid twist/braid out regimen and made myself stick with it and I am very happy with the outcome.

OK that makes sese, cause I was like unh unh I gotta switch it up, within reason of course. I see what you mean though I did that while relaxed, and my hair suffered. Now I think exercise does help, not that I do it often, vitamins, SCALP MASSAGES, PS, DC, and keeping my hair moisturized.

Miss AJ

I had my first hair epiphany after I completed basic training and was in tech school. In basic we were constantly moving around and because we only had 3 meals a day were drinkning water a lot instead of snacking on junk like we wanted to. I sweat in my head really bad too so I was washing my hair every day and I had to wear a bun. My hair grows best when I exercise a lot, wash at least twice a week, and drink plenty of water. I retain the best when I'm not fussing with it all day every day.

MizzBrit

IA! ive noticed since i been working out,eating protein/healthy stuff and drinking 3/4ths of a gallon of water a day, my hair is starting to feel softer and the ends of my hair are starting to become more defined. sometimes healthy hair all starts from the inside. right now im wiggin it up and co washing my cornrows almost daily..my hair is thriving.

and where have u been missy..you left bhm!

PearlyCurly

I agree!

And i have notice the women with the longest hair on here have the most simplest regimen ever:lachen:And no growth aids. At times i want to start using a growth aid but then i would be much prouder of myself if i did it all by "myself"..no vag-jay-jay cream or bacon horse crap. Just me & my hair:grin:

MsSonya

Oh, yes. I know there is nothing like consistency. When I dont think about it too much and just do it, is usually when it gets done. I try to keep things simple so that I dont get discouraged. Exercise 30 mins. a day. Water, water,water. A pill case make sure I take the vits., and not get lazy about my hair, because it's calling all the shots.:rolleyes: I only do one a thing a day, moisturize, or condition, or DC. Hope this works for me.:perplexed

southerncitygirl

MsSonya: Patience was the hardest thing for me to learn and I've been at this for about 7 years now. If something wasn't working for me within a month I was done with it. Looking back, I wasted so much time trying to search the boards looking for the miracle product to grow back in my thinned out, broken areas when all I had to do all along was minimize manipulation, keep my hair moisturized, and incorporate more protein. The latter is working as fast as I expected the growth aids to work.

patience is a tough one with any area of life including hair....i wish i were waistlength right now and i was apl in september. i act like i'm practically bald and can't tell my true length cause i ps with full wigs and plaits in ponytail underneath. i hope that getting with consistency, diet and excercise that longer hair btw bsl & mbl no later than june will be icing on the cake:yep:

i think may ladies on here lack patience and jump on many bandwagons with the quest of speedy hair growth, everything ain't for everybody which why some end up having setbacks. always with the ladies i admire their reggise are simple and they have wsl hair that is to die for!

MsSonya

I think that once I honestly look at where I came from, thin, damaged hair of at least 3yrs. I will realize that I am not going to have thick BSL hair overnight. Just because I conditioned it nicely for a week. Hmmm.....if dreams could come true. lol

CurlyMoo

How about consistency and the hair bottle? Good products that do not damage your hair but strengthen, soften and nuture your hair can be help temendously. Once I stopped using products with garbage ingredientes and treated my hair like fine silk, I noticed the difference.

Miss AJ

How about consistency and the hair bottle? Good products that do not damage your hair but strengthen, soften and nuture your hair can be help temendously. Once I stopped using products with garbage ingredientes and treated my hair like fine silk, I noticed the difference.

Definitely! Once I became picky about ingredients my hair felt better, but when I say the 'hair bottle' I mean the products touted specifically for increasing growth.

teacherjess

I agree!

And i have notice the women with the longest hair on here have the most simplest regimen ever:lachen:And no growth aids. At times i want to start using a growth aid but then i would be much prouder of myself if i did it all by "myself"..no vag-jay-jay cream or bacon horse crap. Just me & my hair:grin:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:LMAO at this!

Thanks for this thread, OP. I totally agree. My hair really started flourishing when I began a consistent, simple routine and stuck with the same "tried and true" products. When I first began my journey and jumped on every bandwagon and tried every hair product known to man, my hair didn't improve that much. Length will come if you k.i.s.s. and just employ gentle care and common sense

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
:nicethread:

Nice Thread!

Wanted to come back and actually Post. For me, this first 10 months was me learning my hair, because I always left that in the Hands of Someone Else (until a terrible Salon mishap), which led me to decide to take control over the health, wealth & length of my Own Hair.

So,this first year was filled with me researching the damage I sustained attempting to make informed product choices to help me salvage what I had 'left' and continue my journey to Healthy Hair.

Yes.....it got a little out of hand with all the 'product buying':nono: But I'm straight now and am trying to move on from that.:look:

So, now it is time for me to get down to business and really focus on Health & Retention and Less on the never-ending search for the Perfect Product.

I've been consistent in my weekly routine throughout, although the product (line) may change, overall the Consistency remains the same.

This will definitely be the Year of Shopping My Stash, and Focusing on Hair Health & Growth.:yep:

beans4reezy

For me, it's keeping my hair moist and in a protective style, (my PS of choice is braiding). Last year, if my hair wasn't in a bun, it was braided- I never wore it out. It was that simple and I acheived amazing results this way. My motto is, when you do less, you get more.