I Want to Get Rid of That Fresh Relaxer Smell

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Hi Ladies,

I got a relaxer yesterday, and my hair looks great :D However, it smells like relaxer. How do you all get rid of the smell? I used the Replenishing Pak from ORS as the conditioner, but my hair still smells like fresh relaxer.

TIA!

PH

Dee-Licious

Between using DuoTex before I neutralize, my deep conditioners, and my leave-ins I don't have that smell like I used to when I go to the salon.

What else did you do besides use the ORS pack?

secretdiamond

Some people don't do this, but I always clarify right after I neutralize. I never get the relaxer smell after that.

HoneyDew

secretdiamond said:
Some people don't do this, but I always clarify right after I neutralize. I never get the relaxer smell after that.

That's what I do. I use a chelating shampoo and I know that is helping with possible calcium build up, as well (I use a no-lye)

lana

I neutralize more than once. It's okay to rewash your hair if you still have that relaxer smell. To me if I finish my hair and still smell the relaxer it means my neutralizing shampoo may not have done the job.

If you're pretty sure that the neutralizer took, I would also suggest just using a regular moisturizing shampoo prior to conditioning. I do that as well. (texlaxed head)

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
HoneyDew said:
That's what I do. I use a chelating shampoo and I know that is helping with possible calcium build up, as well (I use a no-lye)

Okay, I am not a newbie anymore but can you tell me what a "chelating shampoo," is?

myco

lana said:
I neutralize more than once. It's okay to rewash your hair if you still have that relaxer smell. To me if I finish my hair and still smell the relaxer it means my neutralizing shampoo may not have done the job.

If you're pretty sure that the neutralizer took, I would also suggest just using a regular moisturizing shampoo prior to conditioning. I do that as well. (texlaxed head)

I agree. I find that using a conditioner/reconstructor prior to neutralizing and letting the neutralizing shampoo sit for at least 5 minutes takes away all the relaxer smell. I usually lather up twice with the neutralizing shampoo and then deep condition.

I've noticed that at most salon touch-ups don't allow enough time for neutralizing and deep conditioning after a touch-up.

sareca

HoneyDew said:

I don't do it immediately afterwards I usually wait a few days. Actually the stuff I use is strong and says to wait at least 48 hours.

LocksOfLuV

You know. I found that after neutralizing like hell (about 4 times) if I clarify that totally gets rid of the smell.

Then after I clarify I shampoo with a moisturizing poo.