I walked out without paying!!! (long vent)

Hi Simplycee, my fellow NewEnglander,
I am so pissed for you. I would not go back to her. I would not forgive her. I would not want to hear her excuses. You were very clear and upfront from the get-go, too clear for her not to understand. This has happened to me twice (as far as I know.) Years ago I used Cream of Nature no lye which is always a peachy color when mixed. For a long time it was the only kind that agreed with my hair. One day, like you, I looked at the actual relaxer and realized it was white, not peach. I questioned her and she denied that it wasn't Cream of Nature. The other time I had a stylist that I had told to never use a lye relaxer on my scalp. One day, she "snuck" one on me and I knew immediately because my scalp started itching right away. The bottom line is that it is your hair and your frickin' money and you deserve to get the service you request. If you're out of the product be woman enough to say just that. You've been with her 7 years and she can't miss out on getting your money one time? She can't go to the local bss and pick up a container? I wouldn't tell her this face to face but mentally I'd tell her to kiss my .... I don't mean to be harsh but I realize that we can sometimes be too understanding and too forgiving. Your hair is too beautiful for anyone to even think about messing it up and you have been too good a customer to her for too long for her to disrespect you. Good for you for walking out--you taught her a lesson. Go back and she'll do it again, if not to you, to someone else. That's just my two cents.

Wow unbelievable. I'm pissed for you and proud that you walked out. I probably wouldn't go back knowing myself. She was just down right sneaky about it. I'm glad that I can take em or leave em (stylist).

Just praying that you won't have any setbacks this time.

I am so sorry to hear this. I am glad that you were brave and left. She should know how serious you are about your hair especially if shes been ding it for so long. If i were you I would find a different stylist and start taking your Motions relaxer with you for every touch up just to make sure that does not happen again. She could have been hating on you because she knows how well you thake care of your hair.

Tee Tee2 said:
Simplycee,

Just take extra care of your hair until your next touch up. Use extra protein for strength and extra moisture for elasticity. I'm assuming it was only the new growth that she relaxed and even though the length is slightly affected by the relaxer during the rinsing process,its not as bad as it would have been had she did your whole head root to tip! I looked at your album and your hair is gorgeous and looks really strong...I dont think they'll be any setback for you.
Good luck and keep us abreast on you hairs health.

TeeTee2

ITA w/this. I had the same thing happen to me last year and this is what I did. It kept my hair healthy and the only shedding I experienced was due to hormonal changes (pregnancy). If you baby your hair, you should be fine.

Supergirl said:
I am so glad that you stood up for yourself. I am pissed for you! I can't understand why some stylists do what they want with YOUR hair when you are paying YOUR money. Ugh!!!!!!!

Obviously, I would say that you should stop going to her--but the suggestion above was good. If she will agree to treat your hair FOR FREE every week until all problems subside then maybe she can have the pleasure of keeping you as a client.

If not, I'd contact the cosmetology commission in your state because what she did was unethical.

And if it comes down to it, the date and time of this thread is your proof girl!

Ok, I agree with so many of the ladies in this thread.

I don't think I would go back if that were me! I mean this lady has been doing your hair for years so I don't understand why she would pull a stunt like this. :perplexed

Personally if I feel I can't trust a person then that's the end. Your stylist should feel guilty because she lied to you. Sorry but I need to be able to trust a person with my hair. If I can't then it's "adios" :wave:.
See you later:driver:.

Hey Simply, I am so sorry that happen to you, but so very proud you took a stand and called her on her putting that no lye relaxer in your hair--DON'T GO BACK! you can not trust a person like that, she did it on purpose I know, she is envious of your beautiful long hair and jealous because she is not the one that help get your hair to this lenght.

The same thing happen to me I was going to this stylist for years she used Motions mild the only thing that has ever helped my hair and she switched to a much stronger relaxer without telling me until we got to the sink and to make matters worst she stopped rinising and put someone else on my head to rinse me out which was not a whole wash out all my hair fell out weeks later, thank God I found this hair board.

Take a deep breath, say a prayer your hair will be just fine ask the others on the board someone told me to neutralize again in three days after a relaxer and then use a deep condition.

Thanks ladies for your support! I've been out of town all weekend and couldn't get to a computer to read your replies.

I have not called back my stylist. I'm just so angry I don't even know what to say with out curing and swearing. If she was out she could have told me. I would have brought my own. I have brought my own products with me to the salon.

I've soaked and I do mean soaked my hair in moisturizers where my new growth used to be. My hair is super straight too which is another reason I'm mad. I usually get my hair about 80% straight. Every single one of my previous experiences with no lye relaxers left me with extremely dry hair. I mean so dry that it seemed as though no matter what I did the moisture was locked out! This is the reason I was so angry. I'm praying that this time will be different.

My husband was shocked too that I walked out and came home with a wet head. I self relax in a pinch but decided to go to her this time. Big mistake! From this point on I'm back to self relaxing. It's not worth the risk anymore.

The good news is I'm very close to bra strap and just might make my goal by spring if I don't suffer a set back from this.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Last edited:
Dymondz7 said:
I wouldn't go back. This thread serves as yet another validation for my decision to take care of my own hair and not use a stylist/salon. I've been through the growth cycle then having to cut too many times. Now that I'm control of my hair (that I love so much) I can only blame myself for any hair mishaps. I'm so very proud of you for standing up for yourself and not paying. What happened to you is no different than going to a restauraunt and ordering a vegetable platter and the waiter brings you a rare steak - Huh???? No no no that's not acceptable. You're hair is so beautiful and strong, I'm sure this won't cause any damage, just continue with deep conditioners.

I TOTALLY agree, AND I'm a vegetarian - LOL BOTH make me very upset!! I had a hair stylist who did my very first set of micro braids, and I had been going to the shop for quite a while. The braids tore out a good nine inches of my hair, and I finally had enough!! This was PLENTY to make me take classes and learn how to take care of my own hair. I've heard of enough horror stories to keep me far away from a beauty salon.

I agree with whoever said to not return regardless of the length of time you've been there.. clearly seven years of business wasn't enough to make her respect your requests, so seven years worth of business shouldn't make you obligated to return. Despite the friendship, you two still hold a business relationship that she didn't respect. It sucks. I also agree with whoever said that hairdressers do something to your hair to make you return. This is the main reason why I don't let hairdressers do my hair anymore. They're so secretive with products (especially when I'm the type to want to know what's going in my hair) and it makes me uncomfortable. No one has touched this head in close to three years.

Look at your regimens! You all know what your hair loves and what it hates. Why NOT go and learn how to take care of it professionally yourselves (outside of time)? I got myself a cosmetology book and took notes. After the experience I had, the only way I'd agree to letting someone else take care of my hair was if my life depended on it.

Last edited:
You did the right thing by walking out. But salons usually buy their products in big tubs and use a samll container or bowl for each application. Maybe your stylist put a portion of the Motions in an old container??:ohwell:

jadestar said:
You did the right thing by walking out. But salons usually buy their products in big tubs and use a samll container or bowl for each application. Maybe your stylist put a portion of the Motions in an old container??:ohwell:

I thought about that, I really did. I can't see how using an "old" no lye container to hold new lye relaxer can be a good practice either. I always follow my intuition and I just know that she used a no lye relaxer. No doubt in my mind about that.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but I'm praying for your hair!:)
What the stylist did was totally unaceptable...:mad:

WOW! I am just blown away! I cannot beleive she did that and kudos to you for taking a stand. On another note, try to relax. Your hair will be fine :)

Back