I think I wanna wig it out Oct-Dec

Charz

Sinister Minister
Hey Ladies, I am going back and forth between wigging it out for the rest of the year. I love wearing hats in the Fall/Winter time and unfortunetly this rubs against my hair causing potential damage. I have a few questions.

How do you keep your hair underneath protected? Do you wear twists, cornrows etc? And if you wear twists/cornrows how long do you keep them in before taking them out?

What kind of wig do you like to wear? Do you find any sucess with curly, kinky, straight wigs? What color of wig works for you?

Have you retained growth with this method? Have you noticed any damage, especially at the hairline?

I really appreciate your input!

I like cornrows because you can wash and deep condition your hair without em coming unraveled and I feel more comfortable wearing cornrows to the gym as opposed to wearing twists to the gym.

My fave wig is a huge kinky curly wig by Zury that I got at the bss, its synthetic and I dont put anything on it, I just finger detangle it. Curly wigs are more believable as opposed to the straight kind. People always think its my hair and I get soo many compliments. I dont know the color, its an off brown maybe a 4/30 combo.

I protective style 80% of the year so I retain a lot of length. As far as my hairline, my wig has comb attachments at the front and back so you have to be careful with those and try to just stick em under your cap as opposed to sticking them into your hair because they do rip at your edges, it hasnt thinned my edges but you will see shorter pieces where the comb attachment is if youre sticking them in the hair and the comb rubs against my nape too, which I am trying to grow out.
I prefer sew-ins for long term protective styling, as I have never incurred any damages or set-backs from them. Wigs are just a less expensive alternative and you have constant access to your hair, which I like.

I'm a big Half wig fan. I think cornrows plus a HW are the best method for retaining hair and just taking a break. I keep my braids in for about 2 weeks, then redo. In between I still cowash/shampoo and moisturize. I've been doing this for about 5 months so far, and will continue for prob. until next summer.

I prefer straight or wavy wigs. Just smooth down my hair and wear a scarf headband. My hair is 4a/3c nat. as well, and there has been zero issue with my hairline...in fact, it's filling in more. Make sure you take the combs out, and place the wig at least a full inch from your hairline and secure with pins.

I've been thinking about doing this as well. I started out using lace wigs then regular ones and halfwigs. Then I tried my hand at making a wig. I think I like this best. It's shaped to my head and I don't need a comb. Maybe a pin here and there but nothing excessive and it stays on. I prefer curly wigs and I like a splash of color here and there. I don't think I'd ever buy or make a solid light colored wig.

Under the wigs I usually have my hair in like 8 loose braids. That way if I'm going to be in a situation where wearing my wig is undesirable I can do a decent braidout, and it also makes it easy to keep up with my washing and detangling routine. I usually wash with poo once a week and cowash once a week doing this.

Oh and my hairline hasn't suffered. I usually put a stocking cap on before putting the wig on just so that I'm not always rubbing against it. Plus I don't wig it straight through the winter here and there I let her be free. My retention has been good considering that it's rough caring for your hair in cold weather.

I've been wigging since April. I had pretty much no hair and now it's like how it is in my siggy. I wear wigs the crochet braids. I switch back and forth between the 2. I just got out of crochet braids so now I'm wigging it. I have retained alot. I wear my hair in 2 braids braided straight back. And I undo those and cowash maybe once or twice a week.

Hey Charzie!

Girl.......You already know.....:look:

Right now, I am wear a netted wig cap underneath. In the Fall/Winter I will switch over to a Men's Durag. I always moisturize & seal and then put on the wig cap. This summer, I have been "Spritzing" Alot, and will probably keep this up until it gets really cold out.:sad:

It's been the perfect PS for me. It keeps your head warm and you never have a "Bad" Hair Day.:lachen:

Now that I have a little more "hair" I tuck the ends under and pin. Not real 'proficient' in braiding. If I knew how, I would.:yep:

I have been getting most Curly ones. I agree w/BeautyAddict about the straighter ones.:ohwell:

Mine are usually short to med length. For me, that's been a little more 'believable"

I get them in a 1B which is closer to my hair color.

HTHs.

Hey i've been wearing wigs for the past two years and have grown my hair out from nothing to APL.

I have two YT videos which talk about taking care of your hair underneath your wig as well as what I look for when purchasing a wig. (shameless promotion! :p )

[video=youtube;Z7YGofkwbqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7YGofkwbqY[/video]
[video=youtube;daFyCtiTq2Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daFyCtiTq2Q[/video]

HTH.

I would suggest purchasing a curly/kinky half wig rather than a straight/wavy style just so that you wouldn't have any problems or damage from blending. You can wear something made out of satin or silk underneath your wig to protect your hair from any damage caused by the wig, and instead of using the wig combs or clips that come with the wig, I would suggest you opt for bobby pins to secure your wig, OR you can purchase a half wig with a drawstring instead. I know "Tammy" and "Creta Girl" from Freetress have drawstrings, and are both curly/kinky! Oh and don't forget to moisturize and braid your hair underneath the wig. Pretty much what jaded_faerie mentioned in her second video

HTH!

You've had tremendous growth by the way.

Hello Charz,

Currently I am wearing a Human Hair Lace front named vanessa, I did choose Vanessa based on how I normally wear my hair just to be safe. I most of my wigs based on the same effect.

when First starting out I'd get a synthetic or two to see how you like your hair styled before venturing out to a Human Hair lacefront or wig. While the price of the Human Hair Lace front maybe more the quality is great as well, and for me last longer.

Half wigs are such a great option as well to wear to compliment your own hair, You'd leave some of the hair out and wear head bands or style your own to blend.

If your into bangs, then full wigs are great as well :D SO many options :D

Go to the Beauty supply and try some one, Corn row your hair into a beehive and wear a wig cap and have fun, go with a friend or by your self.

I was wearing my hair corn rowed underneath but the issue I am having is TOO much SHEDDING, bulbs at the end. Now that being said I don't shed 50 strands a day out of braids but I surely do shed 100 a day when in braids (not 100 but I'd Average 50 a day for those for weeks) I had a baseball 3/4 of it of hair. :nono:

I am now wrapped up under 2 wig caps.

Please be careful with certain wig caps they will RIP your hair right off your head. especially those edges :nono:

Also don't leave your braids in past 4 weeks -5/6 max, you don't want the hair to knot up or get dred.

Most of all Have FUN with the wigs.

Thanks everyone. I had a hard time finding my thread again because of this horrible new layout. :look:

I will read the responses (while squinting cuz this mess is so bright)

Hello everyone! I am new to posting and this is my very first one. I am so glad that I stumbled upon a thread that I can actually respond to that is not too intimidating!!! I officially began wearing wigs this past weekend and I am loving it so far. I chose one called "IT'S A WIG-PUFFY". I am in my mid thirties and when I put that wig on, it transformed me into a livelier more youthful version of myself. Even my husband loved it. The curls were so so soft, and had so much natural movement. It was super cute but more importantly, it was realistic which I think is key to carrying off a wig. Since I henna alot also, it is a little difficult for me to carry off a half-wig as matching the color hues can be a real hit-or-miss.

Last but not least, my reason for turning to wigs for the rest of the year (hopefully) really stemmed from my constant struggle with my nape area which can't seem to catch a break. So I officially put my nape on life support where it will remain indefinitely till I see some signs of life again. Sorry for the long post...I am just excited to be here posting finally (and I just had some ice-cream...bad idea!!!)

How do you keep your hair underneath protected? Sometimes cornrows for 1 week at a time. Otherwise I just make 2 ponytails, wrap them around my head and call it a day

What kind of wig do you like to wear? My halfwigs are synthetic. I wear either Outre or Sensationnel, both are good brands. I usually wear a color 2 bc my natural hair color is brownish. I find curly/wet & wavy wigs to look a lot more realistic so I wear those. Basically my perfect halfwig is sensatationnel 7047 (loose curls/waves, long) or Outre Nene (tighter waves, long). I have gotten a lot of compliments on both.

Have you retained growth with this method? Heck yes. My hair is fully protected underneath

Have you noticed any damage, especially at the hairline? I wear halfwigs so the hairline is not an issue. but I find that the combs at the back ncause damage to my hair, enough that i noticed a slight VV shape going on :wallbash: So I cut out the combs in the back. Instead I just put some bobby pins to secure the back.

How do you keep your hair underneath protected?
I either cornrow my hair back or I part my hair down the middle and do a plait on each side. I then tuck all of my hair into a satin wig cap (they are like $1 at your local BSS). I then moisturize my hair with S Curl Activator spray every other day or every 2 days. I go by how my hair feels.

What kind of wig do you like to wear?
I prefer the cost of synthetic. I personally use full wigs only. I have done lacefront but right now I don't have any b/c I just don't have the money. I found with the lace front that not gluing it to your scalp/hairline is the best bet. I never did. My current and past wigs are from Freetress. They are a mix of synthetic threads allowing you to use low heat on the hair. So you can curl, flat iron or blow dry the hair. AWESOME!!! Right now I have on a Bobbi Boss wig (BSS didn't have the Freetress version I needed) that I love. It is a 4/27 color chin length bob with bangs. I have received so many compliments on it. :drunk:

Have you retained growth with this method?
I practiced doing wigs last winter and I think my hair loved it. I quit for the summer but i am getting back to it now. I hope to see the same results that I remembered from before.

Have you noticed any damage, especially at the hairline?
No damage at all. I think it is due to my satin cap and keeping my hairline moisturized.

My best advice is to go with a friend or family member and have a good time trying them on :grin:! And if you do bring someone, bring someone who will laugh with you and is supportive of your goal :spinning:. You will need to either buy a cap or bring your own to try on the wigs. Once you find a style you like, feel free to try on different colors of that wig. Experiment and play around with color and style. One of the Great thing about a wig is you can wear your hair in ways you never would with your own hair!!!

Good luck! :)

BD21

Hey Charz, I was thinking about wig as a winter PS and after reading this, i've ordered my half wig, and have just received it.
Yesterday was my first day wearing it. the combs irritated my scalp, so i'm gonna use bobby pins around all the perimeter.
it's kinda sexy and .. BIG ! but I luv it.
i'm not good at cornrowing, but i can do flat twists.
let's do it !!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I thought this was a nice half wig.

[video=youtube;3MQg_Hbh3tc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MQg_Hbh3tc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Hey Charz, I was thinking about wig as a winter PS and after reading this, i've ordered my half wig, and have just received it.
Yesterday was my first day wearing it. the combs irritated my scalp, so i'm gonna use bobby pins around all the perimeter.
it's kinda sexy and .. BIG ! but I luv it.
i'm not good at cornrowing, but i can do flat twists.
let's do it !!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is THAT the wig? If so...what is the name of it and where did u get it (if u don't mind) It is HAWT, hun!!!!

their is no name,my friend ordered it to a chinese vendor.
you know the ones who creates lace wigs in china. you can ask them everything.

Last edited:
Back