I started my hair journey because.. ..

Rina88

When I went to my HBCU and saw a few black girls with long hair BSL and beyond, I was in awe because they weren't mixed race and on top of that they were natural. I googled how to grow black hair long and LHCF popped up. I saw members like Medmunky who not only achieved growth but even regrew bald spots using ayurvedic practices, and Sera and Prospurr with their beautiful texturizers, Macheriamour with her long bonelaxed hair, and Chicoro and her long healthy natural hair. I figured if all the women on this board can do this so can I darn it. I tried transitioning back in Feb '08 but crown breakage freaked me out, so I stuck with relaxers until Sept '09. In March '10 I decided to get serious again and I paid for my subscription and here I is to stay :). I'm finally fully natural (never BC'd just trims for 2 years) and slowly but surely becoming more comfortable and retaining length.

KappaChino

WildFlower
I used to go to a hair salon and there was a stylist there (not my stylist) who had the most beautiful, shiny, thick, long hair (about BSL) that I had ever seen on a woman of color. She was relaxed but somehow knew the "secret" to long, beautiful, Black hair. I always wondered how she did it and if I could do the same but chalked it up to good genes, etc. I used to think that SL hair was "long" hair for a Black girl. I would always get my length to just shy of SL and believed that that was how long it was ever going to get, so I would cut is short and be done with it. One day while searching for a particular hair product (can't remember which) I came across the Diaspora Hair site and I started doing a little digging which led me to LHCF, KISS and whole host of youtube videos. This is where I discovered these women who looked like me with beautiful, long, natural and relaxed hair that inspired me to embark on my own HHJ. And I'm glad that I did!

prettybyrd

I started my hair journey long before I went natural. When I was in sixth grade (11 or 12) I got very sick and lost a lot of my hair. My hair was pretty long in those days, so when I ended sixth grade with short, broken and uneven hair I knew something was wrong. That is why I started my hair journey.

By the time I was in 7th grade, (1991, :grin:) I was dealing with more breakage from misusing my relaxers (every 6-8 weeks my foot!) and using heat style appliances too often (everyday). My hair was a total mess.

When I was 14 I went to a beautician who was a dream! She taught me about hair care, styling, and told me what she used and why. She introduced me John Paul Mitchell Awaphui Shampoo :lick: and Black Hair magazine; which is where I learned about protective styling, Wanakee, and deep conditioning.

By the time I was 16, my hair was between BSL and MBL, and thick(er). I was relaxing less, and using LeKair every Sunday after washing. I also learned to do wet sets. I cut my hair at 17 and regrew it until I decided to try natural hair in college.

Relaxed or natural, I think I've always enjoyed my hair; I've certainly enjoyed growing, styling, and playing in it. I love the idea of a hair journey because seeing what it can do and become really is interesting.

CurlyLawGal

I started my hair journey because stress of a new corporate job, along with extreme neglect, caused me to have heat damaged hair that refused to retain length. In fact, my hair journey directly correlates with my desire to have an overall healthy lifestyle as an adult.

I had growing pains, but my hair journey has helped me grow spiritually, emotionally and financially (I know. It's not that deep . . . but it kind of is . . .)

NYAmicas

Seeker
For the first time ever, in college I was able to grow my hair around APL and was shocked because I had resigned myself to the fact that I would never have hair longer than shoulder because it would always break off a little while when it got past there.

Fast forward past a highlighting mishap and my hair breaking off I really wanted to figure out what was going on. While studying abroad in Brazil my roommate left and I had no one else to tackle my thick hair for me as I always let other people do my hair. So while in Brazil I started researching the net and found LHCF and grew so exited at what I was reading and seeing that I got very active in buying hair supplies and oils. I swore to never have to rely on others to do my hair for me and while it's been a rough road and still is one my hair thrives under my care and has reached lengths I didnt think I could get to as a child.

TaylorT

When I first started my hair journey it was because I had a HUGE bald spot in the back of my head from wearing glued in tracks!!!:perplexed:nono: I wish I could say that I can laugh about it now but I really can't. But that was back when I was 16/17 and relaxed and I've since learned what my fine hair simply can and cannot take.....And now that I'm natural I'm learning about my hair all over again! :yep:

Bnster

I should thank my ex-HS because of his rude remarks in Dec 2008 and making me ashamed of my breakage at the back of my head had moved me to do something about it. I googled re-growing and growing black relaxed hair and stumbled upon LorraineTips and others on YT. Big eye opener AA ladies growing out their hair and I became a believer. :grin: Eventually found LHCF and I've been here ever since.

I went from NL to BSL and not stopping yet. I love having my long healthier relaxed hair and becoming a DIYer! I am still perfecting, no way there yet and so glad to have LHCF on this journey!

BeautifulNameX

I started my hair journey because I wanted long hair. I always wanted long hair then I saw this community of ladies with long hair I started doing what they did (documenting the journey)

silenttullip

I moved and had no one I knew to look after my hair. I was having dryness breakage and scalp issues were bad. I'd lose handfuls of hair in the shower and said THIS HAS TO STOP! Then I found ya'll yaaaaaay
My hair had been natural 3 years before I started my journey. Wish I would have started with some goodies like Giovanni, Aubrey, and evco the day I bc'ed but then it wouldn't be a journey now would it?

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i ALWAYS took are of my hair and couldn't understand why it was ALWAYS chewed up.

i started searching for a better way.

Then i saw Reniece's website and fotki and thought, if she can do it, i can do it.

found BHM and LHCF........

started protective styling........

i haven't looked back........

Postal

I just started my journey (almost 4 months in, yay!) because
1. I want to save money by doing my hair myself
2. I moved 2 hours away from my stylist and that is just too much of a commute every two weeks ( even though I was doing that for about 4-5 months)
3. I've always wanted long hair and I wish I didn't have to wear a weave to get it
4. All my friends have turned natural and whenever I complain about my hair they keep telling me to go natural. I want to prove to myself that I can grow long, healthy, relaxed hair.
5. I want to see if it's possible to actually grow my hair past my shoulders because no one in my family has long hair. If not, I'll just have to agree with the nay-sayers and believe I genetically inclined to short hair.
6. Last but not least: it's something to do besides study all day ( I'm in school).

mamaore

I started my HHJ because I was tired
-of broken hairs all over my shoulders and the bathroom floor
-of spending the whole day at salons waiting for my hair to be done
- of spending so much money at teh stylist with nothing to be shown for it.
and It was high time I took responsibility for my hair and grow it out.