I need pictures of nice non-damaging braid styles.

RabiaElaine

I need some help finding a nice braid style for me to wear. My hair is relaxed, I want use extentions for this style but need non stressed styles.

Thanks

<font color="blue">Slightly off-topic..but have you considered NOT using extensions i.e. just using ur own hair? When relaxed I found that extension hair used to strip the moisture out of my hair leaving it dry, no matter how much braid sheen spray I used. I was always left with a nice, but somewhat dry braidout.

Just wondering...</font>

Interesting! RabiaElaine, I share your concerns. Kengne, I think your no extensions method would be great for my hair. I have never heard of it being done professionally. But I used to get braided as a kid and my hair grew alot. I assume that it doesn't last as long though,right. Please share more of your experiences on this matter.

I think I'm going to do some twists with extentions and spray my hair daily s-curl because I think it would penetrate. I'm not going to leave them in very long probably 2 weeks. I'll see what condition my hair is in after and let you ladies know. I would just braid my own hair but it's too short (only mid to bottom of neck). I would look like a guy.
crazy.gif

I'm reminded of Mario when I read this thread

"Braid my hair, come on and braid my hair. Back in my hood, feelin' good..." He's my homey from B-more.

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting! RabiaElaine, I share your concerns. Kengne, I think your no extensions method would be great for my hair. I have never heard of it being done professionally. But I used to get braided as a kid and my hair grew alot. I assume that it doesn't last as long though,right. Please share more of your experiences on this matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> No problem Melodee. Most of the guys I know with long (natural) hair have their hair cornrowed (w/o ext of course) I'd say...80% of the time. And their hair is beautiful.

I'm originally from Cameroon, Africa and back home we cornrow women's hair w/o extensions on a regular basis. My aunt has 3 daughters and she alternates between cornrows and single braid extensions. She does this tiny, tiny neat, cornrows that can easily last 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 weeks with good maintenance. But because her daughters are young they end up wearing them out after a 1 to 1 1/ 2 weeks.

Right now I'm sporting cornrows w/o extensions. It took me 6 months from O inches of hair to be able to canerow with my own hair. I was able to do single braid exts at 2-3 mths; cornrow w/ extensions as early as 3-4 mths but I hated it. Not only does it hurt more than when braiding with just your own hair (my aunt says you have to pull the hair tighter to squeeze it into the synthetic hair) but as well it left my hair dry dry dry
frown.gif
...Funnily enough I didn't have this same problem with single braid extensions.
confused.gif

But as far as cornrows go I def will only do them with my own hair from now on.I oil my scalp 1-2 times a week and spray daily w. braid sheen spray and/or leave-in conditioner. No washing AT ALL because that brings on the fuzzies and itchies, and means I have to take out my hair sooner than expected.

Of course...I have small hairs that stick out/fuzz out because my hair is natural; imo the cornrows aren't as "neat" as when done on permed hair. But I know this is due to my short length; I fully expect that as my hair grows out the individual strands will stretch fully down the most the length of the cornrow instead of sticking out 1/4 of the way thru lol.

And lastly...in terms of a protective style/maintaining length I believe cornrows are a better alternative than single braid extension. There is much less tensions on the hair strands and less exposed hair/new growth to the elements. Though it requires more upkeep I def intend to wear cornrows, and a variation of cornrow styles..to grow out my hair. I'm a low-maintenaince hair person; I love being able to wake up, spritz and go!

In between braids I ALWAYS wash, deep condition, give my hair a 1 wk breather and then re-braid. I find that this routine is what worked best for me as a child and I had some bangin' afro puffs back then so I'ma try it again for at least 6 mths. In between I might get kinky twist extensions to break the monotony tho..

So...Hope this helps..!

Back