I need a safe way to go blond!

JewelleNY said:
Does anyone know of the safest way to dye one's hair blond???:look:

I need a change I want to go as light as possible. But, I don't want all of my hair to fall out and it is already very fragile.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is blond still out for black folks? I want a change:D :p
Jewelle honey, if your hair is already fragile, why take the risk?

get some tracks

marie170 said:
I think it depends on the degree of blonde she might be trying to go. I was blonde ten years ago and it was like a honey blonde..not like a bleach blonde and I liked it on me. I can see what you mean though about it might washing her out if it is too light.

Jewell I agree about trying different wigs to see if you really like the color on you or possibly doing some type of weave first.

I have never seen full blown light blonde look good on a Black woman. But everyone's views are subjective.

I have seen light brown with blonde highlights look good though.

JewelleNY said:
yes, my sis was a honey blond and it looked really cool, gave her a whole new look, Marie, do you have any pics to share???:D

I will look for some but I doubt I have any...I do think a honey blonde or something similar would be the best way to go but girl go try you some wigs on first.

SouthernTease said:
What about Highlights?
It's better/less damaging than coloring your entire head
or get a couple of blonde "tracks" and mix it with your
hair... my hair was very light brown with blonde
highlights two years ago... EVERYBODY would come
up to me telling me how pretty it was but my hair
was falling out by the handfuls... if you like your hair...
DON'T DO IT!!! I think I have that pic in my FOTKI.
fotki.com/southerntease
I'll check it out, thanks!

LocksOfLuV said:
Man Jewelle you are doing double whammies. Tanning your skin AND bleaching your hair. It's just too much damage for me.:(

But if you want to go for it. I want you to be happy.

I say a nice Auburn but I don't think "the lightest blonde" (like you mentioned in your original post) is gonna be hot. And not to mention the lighter you go the more damaged you are. Just be careful.
yeah, I know:D naughty:look:

Maybe not the "lightest blonde" but I am going for a little shock value:look: :D

I need a change I want to go as light as possible. But, I don't want all of my hair to fall out and it is already very fragile.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is blond still out for black folks? I want a change:D :p

I'm blonde, BLONDE and no breakage/dryness. i've been doing it at home but when my twa grows out a bit more, i'll go back to Aveda's 99% natural hair color...

I'm blonde, BLONDE and no breakage/dryness. i've been doing it at home but when my twa grows out a bit more, i'll go back to Aveda's 99% natural hair color...

oohhhh, i love the color of your hair, it looks really nice with your complexion:) Do you have any other chemicals in your hair?

In my own personal opinion there is no "safe way" to get a high lift color. If your hair is a level 1,2,3 you are going to have ALOT of dryness and in some cases breakage if you do a high lift color like blonde.

In order to achieve it you have to use a high lift color or bleach and then glaze it with a toner if necessary.

Why don't you try a mocha brown or some other shade of a lighter brown? In my experience those that went blonde regretted it (due to breakage) in the long run even though they initially liked it.

Last edited:

Wow! If your hair is all natural. I say go for it with caution. I wouldn't do it though. Sometimes we want what we want! If your hair is relaxed, I say don't do it!

It is safest done in stages. I would say go about 3-4 levels above your natural color at a time. Most women with highly textured hair pull to an reddish orange or orange color when bleach is used. It would probably take 2-3 processes with a developer and bleach to get you to blonde depending on how light you want your hair.

If your hair is black or very dark brown levels one and two you can probably get to a reddish orange color the first time around. I would suggest doing treatments 3-4 times a week for about 2 weeks in between your bleachings to help rebuild the hair and prepare it for another process.

Are you trying to go platinum? I really don't recommend using bleach on relaxed hair at all unless you want to eventually see it all on the floor. Some relaxed hair can however withstand bleach but from experience I would say no bleach on relaxed hair. You don't want to platinum card relaxed hair. Its already ugly doing it on natural hair. I have had to do too many chemical cuts because people want it right now!! HTH

oohhhh, i love the color of your hair, it looks really nice with your complexion:) Do you have any other chemicals in your hair?

No, and I'm not sure if that's the reason I have no breakage/dryness. I also moisturize daily and sleep with a plastic cap under my scarf at night. Thanks for the compliment!

If ur relaxed with fragile hair I say DONT DO IT!!!....
i was dark golden blond with golden blond highltights and while it looked dope for a few months my hair health began to suffer.. ryness/breakage...
i eventualy had to get my hair back healthy it took alot and a while to get my hair stable again and then i had dark roots to deal with i wasnt gonna lighten that since i was trying to get my hair back on track I let it go then colored my hair dark for an even color .. my hair is finaly on point again but it was touch n go for a min thats when i came to LHCF...
i wont do that again .. if anything in a year i may do auburn but as gentle way as possible.

If you are relaxed, I'll tell you what a stylist told me -- "relaxers & highlights don't mix!" Your hair has a nice length...are you willing to risk that for some color? Perhaps a dark blond or very light brown highlights will work well while minimizing damage. If you do decide to color your hir instead of wigs/etc, I recommend doing intensive conditioning before to get your hair stronger & less porous.

I would love to go back to my highlights:cool: But don't really want to risk the damage. I had highlighted my hair for years but about 2 years ago, I started to experience dryness & breakage. I still have color on the ends in the crown area & those ends still feel yucky in comparison to my natural, dye-free hair:(.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck with your decision.

No, and I'm not sure if that's the reason I have no breakage/dryness. I also moisturize daily and sleep with a plastic cap under my scarf at night. Thanks for the compliment!
At the risk of stating the obvious, maybe you don't have damage because your hair is short and therefore still "new". If it were longer, i.e. older ends, you might see breakage and dryness.

If you know what it takes to keep your hair healthy, I say go for it. However, I would not suggest a platinum or higher level blonde. Maybe something more similar to honey blonde. Make sure you keep a balance of protein and moisture and pay extra attention to the colored portions.

Try highlights first, then you can decide whether you want to color all of your hair. But, I am a little concerned since you said your hair is fragile. The decision is ultimately yours, but I do believe that healthy hair is a priority.

As for me, I'm coloring my hair in a few weeks with Textures & Tones in Honey Blonde. I'm ready for a change also!

Wow! If your hair is all natural. I say go for it with caution. I wouldn't do it though. Sometimes we want what we want! If your hair is relaxed, I say don't do it!

It is safest done in stages. I would say go about 3-4 levels above your natural color at a time. Most women with highly textured hair pull to an reddish orange or orange color when bleach is used. It would probably take 2-3 processes with a developer and bleach to get you to blonde depending on how light you want your hair.

If your hair is black or very dark brown levels one and two you can probably get to a reddish orange color the first time around. I would suggest doing treatments 3-4 times a week for about 2 weeks in between your bleachings to help rebuild the hair and prepare it for another process.

Are you trying to go platinum? I really don't recommend using bleach on relaxed hair at all unless you want to eventually see it all on the floor. Some relaxed hair can however withstand bleach but from experience I would say no bleach on relaxed hair. You don't want to platinum card relaxed hair. Its already ugly doing it on natural hair. I have had to do too many chemical cuts because people want it right now!! HTH

Thanks! I am just seeing this now:grin: I am still daydreaming about blond but I am considering all options :)

If you know what it takes to keep your hair healthy, I say go for it. However, I would not suggest a platinum or higher level blonde. Maybe something more similar to honey blonde. Make sure you keep a balance of protein and moisture and pay extra attention to the colored portions.

Try highlights first, then you can decide whether you want to color all of your hair. But, I am a little concerned since you said your hair is fragile. The decision is ultimately yours, but I do believe that healthy hair is a priority.

As for me, I'm coloring my hair in a few weeks with Textures & Tones in Honey Blonde. I'm ready for a change also!

Hey Tracy, I missed this, I rarely come in the hair forum anymore :grin:

Have you colored your hair yet??? I would looooove to see pics :grin: Honey blonde sounds perfect for your complexion :)

Back