I know i am transitioning but

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
would it be bad if i relaxed the edges of my hair? This part of my hair is really frizzy and no matter what i do it will not calm down so i was thinking of mildly relaxing a small sliver of my edges. Does this sound like a good idea?

soulchild

What happens when it grows out?

Peachtree

Not knocking relaxing.... but have u tried to gel the edges & tie a scarf around it to control the frizzies? .... Just a thought

Aloe Vera gel holds down my edges best, but other gels have worked well too

kerplunky

Doesn't really sound like such a great idea. And like souldchild suggested it could just be a bigger headache down the line.

Super_Hero_Girl

No, I definately wouldn't suggest this if your transitioning. Even a little relaxer defeats the whole purpose of being nautral. Try wetting your hair (you don't have to soak it) and then tie it up tight with a silk scarf for a little while. When you remove it, your hair will lay down and look smooth. You may also want to try adding a heavy pomade (it will add a little wave to your hair too while it holds it down). Other products that might help are gels and cd's hhb. But I'm not trying to turn you into a pj; water always works wonders for me!

Oh and Peachtree that picture of Jada is beautiful.

InsertCleverNameHere

My friend did this. She quit transitioning after awhile, though. But it worked for her because she was transitioning for a certain look, rather than just to be natural. If the look you want is non-frizzy edges, then I don't see a huge problem with it. I do recommend trying other things like the scarf trick first, though. After putting a scarf on my edges, they are completely smooth.

aqualung

I'd try shea butter or coconut oil or the Sta-Sof-Fro cream or Beverly Johnson's Hairline Cream to smoothe those edges.

CocoaCure

Yes, I'd try one of Carol's Daughter's heavier pomades that are just for that purpose!! Also, you may want to do a texturizer later. Texturizing is nice for Natural hair when you want your natural curl pattern, but just a little bit looser for easier laying down and management. Maybe a texturized natural is for you. Either way, it's all beautiful!

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
Every night I do the scarf thing. I use either healthy hair butter or Elasta Qp oil moisturizer and then I tie the hair down and go to sleep. Now I have a big heavy head and I sleep on my sides so when i wake up they are flat-- sometimes completely straight- but within 5 to 15 minutes it is back up again. I tried pulling it back in a bun but i do not want to lose the edges I have just grown in thanks to surge. I HATE gel-- i refuse to wear it in my hair. And i cant press because i work out everyday. I was planning to relax this part of my hair every 3 to 4 months and only a small portion-- about 1/4 of an inch from my hairline. This is my last resort unless there are other sugestions?

J

JenniferMD

Once I started transitioning I thought the edges would be a huge problem for me. All the advice is really good. I don't suggest you get a mild relaxer, yet what works well for me is to add some ultra sheen finishing lotion on my edges at night and wrap my hair afterwards. In the morning, the edges look like I applied a mild relaxer.
Hope that helps