I Keep Cutting My Split ends...But everytime I look theres More!!! What to do?

JuicesN'Berries

Can someone please tell me what I can do? I keep my ends cut...I am not scared of scissor happy stylist because I really don't care if my hair looks short as long as its healthy. When I get my hair done I tell them to cut off as much as necessary which is usually 1/2 in. -3/4 in. I don't understand why everytime I look at my ends I see a "wish bone" at the end. I was reading someones thread about air drying being the cause of split ends....I think this is true for me too. I hardly use heat, I hardly brush.....the only think that I can honestly say is contributing to my split ends is......maybe because I don't wear a scarf or sleep on a satin pillow and like I said air-drying. Help me Please....I desperate.

Cholet112

JuicesN'Berries said:
the only think that I can honestly say is contributing to my split ends is......maybe because I don't wear a scarf or sleep on a satin pillow and like I said air-drying. Help me Please....I desperate.

Thats your culprit right there! Your hair isnt beening moisturized well so its drying out and splitting. Do you moisture/seal everday? Do you baggy? Why arent you tying your hair up or using a satin pillow case?

Starian

Do you cut with dull scissors? That can lead to more splits. I know I used to trim my hair with scissors they used to cut paper, fabric, ribbons, tape, and everything else. :lol:

Are you sure you aren't confusing frizzy ends with splits? I do that a lot and wind up cutting it because it looks bad to me, not because it's actually split.

Airdrying can contribute to the frizzy ends. Try end papers.

Is your hair layered? Uneven hair can also be mistaken for splits.

To avoid cutting, I metiulously go through my hair and actually look up close at the strands. I never have splits...just frizz and layered hair.

Cheleigh

Welcome to the forum.

I would tend think the first problem is the fact that you're not protecting your hair while you sleep. Your hair rubbing against cotton every night WILL give you some split ends/broken hair. It's not a lot of damage, but night after night it will add up. I prefer the pillowcase to a scarf, but YMMV.

I know that there are some people who have problems air drying, but I've noticed that it tends to work for a majority of naturals. I airdry daily, and have not seen any split ends (single strand knots, yes, frizzy looking ends because they are so curly, yes, but not splits). For me, the key to airdrying is using a leave-in conditioner (creamy, not watery) on wet/damp hair. I also like to use products that help keep moisture in my hair all day long.

Heatwise, diffusers are okay for my hair occasionally, but hooded dryer heat is not my friend, nor are blowdryers.

diamoness

I have the same problem too.....thats why I stopped cutting them. I aint cutting on a regular schedule anymore......Maybe i'll dust once year.....honestly I dont see any worse splits or knots than i did before i stopped cutting.

Qetesh

I am having the same problem.
I cut my ends and try my very best to keep them moisturized but they are still breaking off , I admit they seem to have gotten a little better since I started putting them up at night in a satin bonnet. But as I look at my hair now about 1 in 4 hairs are split L , another thing that is really starting to scare me are those da** fairy hairs going into single strand knots.

Any suggestions?

I am going to try baggying over the winter nights and I am going to keep my hair braided for a while as well. But anything else that might help?

camellia

Cheleigh said:
I know that there are some people who have problems air drying, but I've noticed that it tends to work for a majority of naturals. I airdry daily, and have not seen any split ends (single strand knots, yes, frizzy looking ends because they are so curly, yes, but not splits). For me, the key to airdrying is using a leave-in conditioner (creamy, not watery) on wet/damp hair. I also like to use products that help keep moisture in my hair all day long.

This is me. I use butters to seal my ends after I apply a leave in conditioner. I don't bother with scarf, never have, but I do use a satin pillow case.

so1913

Starian said:
Do you cut with dull scissors? That can lead to more splits.

I agree, this could be the cultprit. Make sure you are using razor sharp scissors and your hair is the ONLY thing you use them for. Get the sharpened or replaced as needed. Dull scissors will not cut the hair bluntly and shred...similar to the results of cutting a piece of thread with dull scissors.

gn1g

WHat kind of brush do you use? Actually all of them can cause split ends for me but the denman was the worst.

JuicesN'Berries

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing its the friction between my head and the bed. My only problem is I have a real hard time sleeping with a scarf so where can I find a satin pillow case.

Ms Lala

JuicesN'Berries said:
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing its the friction between my head and the bed. My only problem is I have a real hard time sleeping with a scarf so where can I find a satin pillow case.

I Just bought some cheap satin like fabric and it works well.

Cayenne0622

JuicesN'Berries said:

Sally's and it has a zipper on the side so you can just zip your pillow up in there, take it off during the day and then stick your pillow back in there at night.

JuicesN'Berries

Ok I bought a satin pillow and started using castor oil........My hair has improved sooooooooooooooo much! I know it was mostly the castor oil because I rarely use it! But I must say when I straightened my hair my ends were nice and neat and I didn't need to trim or dust. I would like to recommend castor oil to all of you ladies suffering from split ends. I do not believe this will fix them but it will however prevent them.