I GIVE UP I NEED HELP!

mscurly

Ok I have tried fixing this problem on my own but I just can't figure it out anymore.

I am natural, enevr had a problem with my hair before. I used to cowash weekly, deep condition weekly, shampoo monthly, and style my hair in a braid out using Hello Hydration and coconut oil. This style and routine has working for my hair for the last 2 years. Now..................

all of a sudden it is no longer working. My hair is dry no matter what I use in it. I've tried clarifying shampoo, deep conditioning treatments,protein treatments acv rinses, bentonite clay, henna. (not all at the same time) NOTHING IS WORKING

this has been a huge problem for me for the last 4 months...

Now I'm starting to notice small little hairs, which means breakage :cry:

When I try doing my usual braid out style it always turns out dry, stiff, lifeless, no movement. Before it always looked soft bouncey, shiny and pretty.

I tried doing my roller sets or curlformer sets, mushy, lifeless, unmoveable hair. Just awful and not cute.

I dont get it?!

I've been wearing wigs cause I cant do anything else with my hair. No matter how much I moisturize it, the next day I wake up to super dry hair.

Its like my hair turned into something else and I dont recognize it anymore.

I just want my hair back to the way it was before.

Somebody anybody please help :(

Stepiphanie

Hi mscurly , I'm sorry that you are going through this. Since you've tried just about everything have you thought about maybe doing the mud wash to detoxify and start with a clean slate? I have not tried it yet, but just ordered some bc I know a few people IRL who have used it with success.

mikimix

First off I'm going to say that Hello Hydration is AWFUL!! Stop using it now! lol
When I used it, it just made my hair drier and drier.

Maybe you're not putting enough product in your hair? I know that natural hair needs much more product that people think. When you're moisturising maybe use a natural moisturiser with some coconut oil (coconut oil works wonders) and put a lot!

Also under your wig are you using a satin wig cap?

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
How's your health?
Any changes in diet or stress level?
Are you drinking enough water?

I think if your hair is so dry and nothing you're doing will help, then you should go to a doctor for a checkup. Get your thyroid and vitamin levels checked, to make sure that everything is okay.

napbella

Try Scurl to combat the dryness and then ps to limit manipulation. Def take a look at your diet. Hope you get this under control quick.

mscurly

Thanks for the responses.

I eat healthy, exercise regularly, drink mostly water and take vitamins.

I thought about using the mud wash but I'm afraid to keep buying products and not getting results

Bublin

What are you moisturising your hair with?
Suggestions could be too much protein, perhaps switch to all high quality moisturising products.
Also, do you regularly trim? If not this can cause breakage.

mscurly

First off I'm going to say that Hello Hydration is AWFUL!! Stop using it now! lol

Maybe you're not putting enough product in your hair? I know that natural hair needs much more product that people think. When you're moisturising maybe use a natural moisturiser with some coconut oil (coconut oil works wonders) and put a lot!

Whats wrong with HH, I used to use it all the time and it made my hair soft, unless in the long run it caused my server dryness

What kind of shampoo do you use?

To clarify I was using Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo
Lately I've been using the Shea Moisture shea butter restoritive shampoo

Try Scurl to combat the dryness and then ps to limit manipulation. Def take a look at your diet. Hope you get this under control quick.

What is scurl?

mscurly

What are you moisturising your hair with?
Suggestions could be too much protein, perhaps switch to all high quality moisturising products.
Also, do you regularly trim? If not this can cause breakage.

It varies between the hello hydration and shea moisture coconut curl milk

mikimix

Hello Hydration has Sodium Hydroxide in it which isn't good. (Learnt this from buildable beauty)
And from personal experience, at first I thought it was moisturising my hair and then I realised it was not and was just making it drier. This was actually before I found out that it had sodium hydroxide in it and that that ingredient isn't good for the hair (and when I found out that it started to all make sense to me lol)

Raspberry

Hello Hydration has Sodium Hydroxide in it which isn't good. (Learnt this from buildable beauty)
And from personal experience, at first I thought it was moisturising my hair and then I realised it was not and was just making it drier. This was actually before I found out that it had sodium hydroxide in it and that that ingredient isn't good for the hair (and when I found out that it started to all make sense to me lol)

I looked up the ingredients but didn't see sodium hydroxide, maybe there's different formulas?

I have a big giant bottle of HH I haven't used yet so I'm somewhat invested in thinking it's perfectly fine :lol:

Also, sodium hydroxide isn't always an awful thing, all depends on the formulation of the mixture it's being used in. I try not to make automatic assumptions about ingredients because I'm not a scientist and from what I remember about chemistry, reactions from a particular substance can be drastically different depending on the formulation and amount used.

mscurly

I'm like desperate at this point so I've considered using a chelating shampoo (even though I have soft water) or porosity control shampoo.

ChristmasCarol

Don't all the Herbal Essence products have cones?
Your hair may not like cones - many people have reported that their hair seemed moisturized for quite a while, and then turned to straw. They had to switch to a completely cone-free regimen.

Last edited:

NIN4eva

I have dry hair issues and this fixes me right up - Roux Moisturizing Shampoo, Porosity Control Conditioner and the 619 Treatment and Shine leave in. Use a rich deep conditioner after the Porosity Control Conditioner.

mscurly

I have dry hair issues and this fixes me right up - Roux Moisturizing Shampoo, Porosity Control Conditioner and the 619 Treatment and Shine leave in. Use a rich deep conditioner after the Porosity Control Conditioner.

What the diff in the Roux Moisturizing Shampoo?

Does this shampoo really clean the hair?

mscurly

you may need to get rid of the Hello Hydration.

I'm done with the Hello Hydration and Totally twisted. I guess they finally caught up with me.

Still debating on doing a claifrying shampoo or chelating shampoo. I heard both really dry your hair out. I dont want to make the problem worse.

Evolving78

I'm done with the Hello Hydration and Totally twisted. I guess they finally caught up with me.

Still debating on doing a claifrying shampoo or chelating shampoo. I heard both really dry your hair out. I dont want to make the problem worse.

you should be fine. just use a moisturizing shampoo after the first wash, and then deep condition for 30mins- to an hour if you are not going to use heat/hooded dryer.

the purpose of clarifying is to remove product build up, so your hair can absorb and flourish. the chelating is used to remove build up, as well as mineral deposits and chlorine.

so think of it as giving your hair a fresh start or breathing treatment!

Last edited:

charmtreese

Try Joico K-pak Chelating shampoo to remove build up. This leaves my 4b hair feeling nice and not dry or stripped. I also would recommend the Joico K-pak cuticle sealer, it works pretty much like porosity control, but I like it a lot better! For a moisturizer I use Joico Moisture recover shampoo and seal with oil, and this has been working wonders so far!! Good luck to you!!! :)

vtoodler

Wasn't Hello Hydration reformulated not long ago?

Maybe that's why it's no longer as effective for you.

I also thought that you might find the following website to be helpful:
http://www.natural-beauti.com/apps/...t-are-all-these-techniques-i-m-hearing-about-

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

mscurly
evco doesn't work for me in winter (too light) and i see you're in nyc also. cut your evco with heavier oils like evoo and castor.....i have been having issues with dryness for the last couple of months and created an oil mix containing:
evoo
evco
kukui
meadowfoam
castor

i use qb amla and olive heavy cream on my hair first then layer the oil mix on top during the course of the week and to take my twists down for my twistouts. the only pt of my reggie that has cones is fantasia ic gel with sparklelites and i believe they are water soluble.

the cones could be causing you issues as well as the ladies stated, clarify at least 1-2 times a month if you continue to use HH. i use giovanni 50/50 at every wash and have no issues with dryness...it clarifies. you can get a liter from tj maxx or marshalls for about $12.

NaturalEnigma

Sometimes when my hair acts dry/weird I use multiple products to try to fix the problem, not realizing that by me using multiple products I'm making the problem worse. Whats your regimen? I suggest that you think back to when exactly the problem occurred, what products were you using, besides the Hello Hydration?

It may be that your hair is not responding to the products you're using. That happens to me all the time. I'll find that my tried and true staple doesn't work for me anymore, and that I have to switch up my regimen.