I DID IT! OMG - I Henna'd and Indigo'd My Hair Yesterday!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Ladies (especially the "Henna Heads")

I took the leap of faith yesterday and did my own henna and indigo treatments.

I had asked my stylist to do it and he said yes, but never got around to it so I took matters into my own hands!

I had been studying up by reading all the threads and our unofficial sticky "Do Y'all Henna" and information from the Mehandi site. I also read some helpful information from the Long Hair Community site as well.

What makes it amazing is that before I came to LHCF, I would have NEVER done my own hair (still won't with chemicals though, i.e. relaxing - too risky).

Anyhow, the results are amazing! I can't show you all a pic yet, because I am in the "Hide Your Hair Challenge." The effects are cumulative and I can't wait until the next application.

I used "Fia's Gel Mix" from the Mehandi site:
  • 100g of henna
  • 8oz of Orange Juice
  • 8oz of water
  • .25 - .35g of Pectin
It was a clean application and rinse and I was very impressed. Now the Indigo:

• 100g of Indigo
  • 10 oz of very warm water
  • 2 tablespoons of EVOO
The Indigo application was a little messier, but I am a clean freak so I was prepared and cleanup and rinse out wasn't bad at all.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I am VERY happy with the results! It's Henna forever!

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
delta_gyrl said:
Glad you liked it. I look forward to seeing your results.

Thanks Delta_gyrl! I really hope to have an impressive "reveal" for April Fool's Day. My hair is improving weekly! :D

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
dlewis said:
That's great.

Can you do henna with no color change?

Sure can! You would mix it up and quickly apply it before the color releases (take a few hours depending on your mix before the color releases. However, if you just want the conditioning aspects of henna without the color, use Cassia! It's known as "neutral" henna.

dlewis

january noir said:
Sure can! You would mix it up and quickly apply it before the color releases (take a few hours depending on your mix before the color releases. However, if you just want the conditioning aspects of henna without the color, use Cassia! It's known as "neutral" henna.

Thanks, I gonna try that.

Now, where do I order from?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
dlewis said:
Thanks, I gonna try that.

Now, where do I order from?

D -
I order from Mehandi and others feel it's expensive, but since this is my first foray with henna, I decided to go with the better supplier.
http://www.mehandi.com/

[SIZE=+2]Cassia Obovata makes your hair shiny, healthy and strong, and does not change the color![/SIZE]
There is NO such thing as Neutral Henna! Much of what is sold in boxes called Neutral Henna is Cassia Obovata, usually with unlisted adulterants. This cassia obovata will make damaged hair silky, thick, lusterous, and helps keep your scalp healthy, just as henna does. However, It does not change the color of your hair, and doesn't stain your hands. Have you recently read what's in your bottle of commercial conditioner? Do you think a pure herb might be better?

[SIZE=+1]Cassia obovata is good for you and your hair, and you can use it as often as you like! Your hair will love you for it![/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

100g will condition short hair.
200g will condition collar length straight hair.
300g will condition shoulder lenth straight hair.
500g will condition waist lenth hair.
I use 500 g and my hair goes to my fingertips.

Order hair supplies by phone, fax, mail, or email and save on shipping fees!
Print out the order form here:
Hair supplies order form .doc
Hair supplies order form .pdf

To order single items through Paypal: click shopping cart buttons below:

Ordering more than one item and want the shipping charges combined?:
Email your shopping list to Mehandi
and we'll send you a Paypal Invoice with the correct shipping amount.
Please remember to include your Paypal email address for billing.​

100g is $7.50 + 4.50 shipping = $12.00

200g is $14 + $4.50 shipping = $18.50
300g is $21 + $4.50 shipping = $25.50
400g is 28.00 + 4.50 shipping = $32.50

500g is $35 + $6.50 shipping = $41.50
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]How do you know if cassia obovata will make your hair totally glossy and sleek? Try some! Mix up a little bit of Cassia obovata and try it on hair you've harvested from your hairbrush. Want enough to try? Avert potential disaster for $1! (what a bargain!)

[/SIZE]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+2]Go here for Samples!

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Black Cat Red Cat
has bulk discount prices on great henna!
http://www.blackcatredcat.com

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
angie10 said:
Congratulations, can't wait to see your pics. I probably will try cassia in the future.:)

I was just all up on Mehandi.com and am contemplating purchasing 500g of Cassia! :lol:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
angie10 said:
:lol: I don't blame you, I will be doing the same thing in a few weeks.

Your hair is lovely angie10! I finally have that shine like yours with the henna/indigo treatment!

I can't wait until April Fool's Day so I can show my "new" hair!;)

angie10

january noir said:
Your hair is lovely angie10! I finally have that shine like yours with the henna/indigo treatment!

I can't wait until April Fool's Day so I can show my "new" hair!;)

Thanks January, I can't wait to see you ladies reveal. I was on that challenge, but I messed up big time. I posted my hair pics at another board and on my fotki. I totally forgot:ohwell:

Mestiza

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful henna experience.

to the Henna Family!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Mestiza said:
I'm so glad that you had a wonderful henna experience.

to the Henna Family!

Thank you Mestiza! And I'm never gonna leave! :lol: ...I done packed my bags and moving in! I LOVE HENNA DURNNIT!

Mestiza

january noir said:
Thank you Mestiza! And I'm never gonna leave! :lol: ...I done packed my bags and moving in! I LOVE HENNA DURNNIT!

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: YW! ;)

The Henna Family is a lot like the Corleone Family. Once you join, it's not so easy leaving. :lol:

InnerSoul

I am glad that u took matters in to your own hands.. and was successful! I will be taking the plunge myself in the next few weeks. I too want to henna and indigo back to back like you did. I have a friend from India that will be helping me through the process... she even said that she wanted to do before and after picts! I know its messy from what she said but I am looking forward to it !!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
InnerSoul said:
I am glad that u took matters in to your own hands.. and was successful! I will be taking the plunge myself in the next few weeks. I too want to henna and indigo back to back like you did. I have a friend from India that will be helping me through the process... she even said that she wanted to do before and after picts! I know its messy from what she said but I am looking forward to it !!

Hey InnerSoul! Thanks!

Ooo...you will love it! :p Actually because I had read it is messy I prepared for it by using dark blue towels and covering up my bathroom floor with an old sheet as a tarp and THEN found it it wasn't that bad at all! I was extra careful and it helped!

I strongly recommend adding the pectin to your mix because the henna won't drip and run at all and will rinse out like a charm! I didn't add the pectin to the Indigo, 'cause I wasn't sure it would work the same way so I am going to email Catherine at Mehandi to ask. I will let you know!

InnerSoul

january noir said:
Hey InnerSoul! Thanks!

Ooo...you will love it! :p Actually because I had read it is messy I prepared for it by using dark blue towels and covering up my bathroom floor with an old sheet as a tarp and THEN found it it wasn't that bad at all! I was extra careful and it helped!

I strongly recommend adding the pectin to your mix because the henna won't drip and run at all and will rinse out like a charm! I didn't add the pectin to the Indigo, 'cause I wasn't sure it would work the same way so I am going to email Catherine at Mehandi to ask. I will let you know!

yes thanks..whatever info u can get let me know:)

WomanlyCharm

I've added pectin to my indigo...it works just fine. :)

Glad to have another henna convert on board...someday we'll take over the world!!!!! :lol:

BTW, Hennasooq (a member of this board) also sells henna/indigo etc. I ordered from her, got my package in a short time, and I have to say, it was some of the best henna I've used yet! I think she is going to be my "dealer" from now on! :grin:

Her website is www.hennasooq.com.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
WomanlyCharm said:
I've added pectin to my indigo...it works just fine. :)

Glad to have another henna convert on board...someday we'll take over the world!!!!! :lol:

BTW, Hennasooq (a member of this board) also sells henna/indigo etc. I ordered from her, got my package in a short time, and I have to say, it was some of the best henna I've used yet! I think she is going to be my "dealer" from now on! :grin:

Her website is www.hennasooq.com.

Thanks WomanlyCharm!
Re: Indigo and Pectin - I THOUGHT SO! :cool:

Oh well, I have already ordered the CMC to mix with my Indigo, but it was only $5.00 so not a big deal.

Re: Hennasooq - I went to this website today to see if it was a big price difference from Mehandi's and it wasn't; not really. So, I wil spread my wealth! I'll order from Mehandi AND Hennasooq. I will help a fellow sister LHCFer out! :) . I love the little gift bags of henna/indigo/amla/cassia!

I am not going to kick Mehandi to the curb yet; the service was excellent and I got it in 3 days! I was pleased. Would you choose Hennasooq's henna over Mehandi's? Let me know!

sareca

Congrats! :dance7:

ETA: Instead of using pectin you can also sift your henna/indigo powder w/ a fine mesh strainer. Some people argue the sticks and twigs help the henna/indigo dye better, but if you do it often it doesn't matter much.

Last edited:

Isis

january noir said:
Ladies (especially the "Henna Heads")

I took the leap of faith yesterday and did my own henna and indigo treatments.

I had asked my stylist to do it and he said yes, but never got around to it so I took matters into my own hands!

I had been studying up by reading all the threads and our unofficial sticky "Do Y'all Henna" and information from the Mehandi site. I also read some helpful information from the Long Hair Community site as well.

What makes it amazing is that before I came to LHCF, I would have NEVER done my own hair (still won't with chemicals though, i.e. relaxing - too risky).

Anyhow, the results are amazing! I can't show you all a pic yet, because I am in the "Hide Your Hair Challenge." The effects are cumulative and I can't wait until the next application.

I used "Fia's Gel Mix" from the Mehandi site:
  • 100g of henna
  • 8oz of Orange Juice
  • 8oz of water
  • .25 - .35g of Pectin
It was a clean application and rinse and I was very impressed. Now the Indigo:

• 100g of Indigo
  • 10 oz of very warm water
  • 2 tablespoons of EVOO
The Indigo application was a little messier, but I am a clean freak so I was prepared and cleanup and rinse out wasn't bad at all.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I am VERY happy with the results! It's Henna forever!
Yay! Congratulations!

I may just do that gel application next time with the pectin for a clean rinse. Thank you for sharing your experience. :up:

Isis

sareca said:
Congrats! :dance7:

ETA: Instead of using pectin you can also sift your henna/indigo powder w/ a fine mesh strainer. Some people argue the sticks and twigs help the henna/indigo dye better, but if you do it often it doesn't matter much.
Is it an easier cleanup with the fine mesh strainer or an easier rinse?

Khadija.D.Carryl

Congratulations !! You go girl !

Thank you for your recommendations ladies.

I just wanted to say though please do not run the risk of using henna to condition your hair if you DO NOT WANT color. Henna will color your hair. It is safest to use cassia obovata that will not color your hair ! It will condition it, stengthen it, and leave you so happy ! My mother in law has been raving about it, since she used it by mistake one time.
I sent her some henna and a few other things and she kept telling me what am I doing wrong, there is no color. Then I asked her to read the label and she said cassia obovata !! I just explained to her that there is no color but great conditioning for your hair. She has been happy ever since but I sent her some more henna because she wants the color and to cover her greys.

I love it when we can just go natural and help our hair grow strong.

Khadija

Khadija.D.Carryl

Oh I did want to add that I had asked some of the members here to get together to create an article on what the needs of african women are regarding natural herbs on the hair. I am sorry for the delay, it has been hectic over here.

But what are some of the issues and questions and answers that would be most important to women who have african hair regarding henna and other herbs? What do some other articles not cover that we need to know about? Any input ?

Khadija