I decided to test my vitamins....

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I wanted to see if my body was really absorbing these.

I put 5 different vitamins in seperate glass cups filled with vinegar. The vits I tested were:

Freeda Biotin 10 mg tablet

One a Dy multi tablet

Vitamin Shoppe Hair Skin and Nails tablet

Country Life Vitamin E complex capsule

Vitamin Shoppe Flax Seed Oil capsule

The results:

The Freeda biotin which is a kosher brand vitamin immediately floated to the top and dissolved within seconds.

The One a Day multi floated and dissolved after about 10 mins.

The VS Hair Skin and Nails just sat at the bottom of the cup and did nothing. This was after about 15 mins of being in the vinegar. I came back an hour later and just a little of the vitamin had dissolved. Ultimately 5 hours later the vitamin just sat at the bottom of the cup taking forever to dissolve. After about 5 hours of sitting I would say that it was about 50% dissolved.

The Country Life Vitamin E complex dissolved after about 1 hour.

The Vitamin Shoppe Flaxseed Oil just sat at the bottom of the cup for a very long time before any of the oils came out. It took about 4 hours for some of the oils to be released from the capsule.

I used to think that brands were of no importance but now I believe that you get what you pay for. I was starting to supsect that the VS brand Vitamins were inferior to other brands and I think that my test my have shed some light on my opinion.

I was extremely pleased with the results from the Freeda Biotin and the One a Day Multi. I was ok with the results of the Country Life Vitamin E complex. I will stick with these.

I recently switched some of my vits to liquid and the others I will be buying kosher from now on.

blue_flower

Re: I decide to test my vitamins....

That's an interesting experiment you did. I'm going to try that with my vitamins when I get home.

UmSumayyah

Well, DSD thanks for sharing the results of your tests.
I would think that the flaxseed oil capsules would still breakdown in the body, because the casing is made of gelatin and gelatin melts when it gets hot.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
Well, DSD thanks for sharing the results of your tests.
I would think that the flaxseed oil capsules would still breakdown in the body, because the casing is made of gelatin and gelatin melts when it gets hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's true. But it took so much longer to dissolve than the vitamin e. Maybe the gel was thicker. I am still taking them but I poke a hole in the side before doing so.

mytia

SuperWoman!

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
That's an interesting experiment you did. I'm going to try that with my vitamins when I get home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Me too!

keylargo

so true DSD. I've found that brands make a HUGE difference in all vitamins. Nature Made's B Complex is more potent then any other B complex that I've tried. I've also found that GNC's biotin and multivitamins to be superior.

Many companies do not have to prove that their vitamins have what they claim to have in them.

Leslie_C

how can u tell how potent they are? do u mean that the longer it takes to absorb into the water then the less effective? what does it floating mean?

AnjelLuvs

yes, I too wnat to know

I am running out of vitamins, and need to re up, so this might play a significant part in which brand I get I will have to go home and try my biotin from p'pride

Taliah

And I'm Dancing...

i have done this before and i wasn't happy with what i saw i the glass and the time it took for the vitamins to break down. but, then i started thinking that it probably wasn't that accurate due to the natural digestions in my stomach that would also help with the break down process.

dsd, do you take an enzyme. i always thought that would help too. but, i see why you would be concerned with the absorption of your vitamins. i've tried miracle 2000, a liquid daily supplement, but liquids are more expensive and not as potent. also, not everything comes in a liquid. i was also concerned with the amount of time each supplement actually stays in my body.

Teva

That was a great idear to do that. Thanks for sharing. I have always wondered how my vitamins disolved now you have given me the idear to test them.

Thanks

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

[ QUOTE ]
Taliah said:
i have done this before and i wasn't happy with what i saw i the glass and the time it took for the vitamins to break down. but, then i started thinking that it probably wasn't that accurate due to the natural digestions in my stomach that would also help with the break down process.

dsd, do you take an enzyme. i always thought that would help too. but, i see why you would be concerned with the absorption of your vitamins. i've tried miracle 2000, a liquid daily supplement, but liquids are more expensive and not as potent. also, not everything comes in a liquid. i was also concerned with the amount of time each supplement actually stays in my body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do take an enzyme. I do figure that the vitamin will break down in my body faster than vinegar because stomach acid is much stronger. I just needed to get an idea of which ones did breakdown faster.

I want to get my vit reg rock solid and I can't afford to waste money on vits that aren't doing their job.

Taliah

And I'm Dancing...

i was thinking of trying one week on, one week off. the body can become immune quickly and results will appear slower than usual. it is also a burden on my wallet...

elite_chiq

Hey DSD how about you go with the freeda line. All my vitamins are freeda except for the oil capsules. And you can feel them dissolve if they're on your tounge for a while.

happylocks

Thanks for sharing DSD
. I know all vitamins are not the same, which is better I was not sure. I will try that with my biotin.

Honi

There is no board.

Great experiment DSD! Good point about your stomach acids being stronger than vinegar too. Also, keep in mind that if your vitamin is not an immediate release formulation that it will not break down in your stomach at all but will be released in your intestines or somewhere else along the digestive tract.

LABETT

I was using Vitamin Shoppe and Puritan Pride vits but I am seeing better results lately with Nature Made and GNC vits.
I will have to do the float test.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

[ QUOTE ]
elite_chiq said:
Hey DSD how about you go with the freeda line. All my vitamins are freeda except for the oil capsules. And you can feel them dissolve if they're on your tounge for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already scoped out the Freeda line and I will be placing my order soon. Thanks!

Wildflower

Grow, hair,Grow!!!

I'll be trying the freeda too as soon as my vitamin break is over.

kitchen_tician

DSD, You are a true "hair professor".
Thanks for sharing your findings on your latest experiment.

ChasingBliss

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
[ QUOTE ]
elite_chiq said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I already scoped out the Freeda line and I will be placing my order soon. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading about this, Im considering the same thing. I take VS HSN, and to think that all three of those vits I have to take each day might be just sitting there doing nothing is quite disturbing. Im going to check the Freeda site right now. Thanks DSD

blue_flower

I tried my experiment last night and neither of my vitamins floated to the top. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. The biotin dissolved in 7 minutes, but it took longer for the multivitamin. I believe 40 minutes. Maybe because it's bigger.

AnjelLuvs

I too decided to try the test. I did it on my Puritan Pride Biotin, Spring Valley EPO, and Spring Valley MSM. I put it in at 6:33 am, and by say 6:40 the only thing dissolved was the PP Biotin, and the others didnt even start yet. And the only one that didnt float to top was the MSM.

I am considering keeping the PP biotin. but the spring valley stuff I am getting rid of.