I consider this a damaging effect of MSM

OsnapCnapp!

I have been taking Natural Balance MSM and I take 1,000-2,000 mg/day with a Vit. C. I've been doing this for about a year. I have just recently noticed that my hair is softer when it grows in no doubt but damn.......it's changed my texture and I HATE it. It seems thin now! :perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed I didn't take MSM for this, I was taking it for hair and nail growth not to thin my schit out. I'm really pissed because it is so noticeably thin. My thick twists I once had are now thin little feeble ones. I am 4b and used to thick and kinky hair. It's now wavy and thin and just ugh.....I hate it! So while it totally jacked up my texture I really didn't see any growth. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this after taking MSM for an extended period and is there anyway to reverse this besides stopping them?

nakialovesshoes

Wow - I'm sorry to hear this. I've been taking MSM for years for health reasons & it hasn't done anything to my texture. It definitely has kept me from needing carpel tunnel surgery & helped w/my joints but I can't say that it's done anything to/for my hair.

deedoswell

That's interesting. I would definitely be upset about the thickness of my hair leaving! I may have to reconsider what I'm taking - it has 1200 mg of MSM. I can't afford to have my hair thinning - it's already thin!!!

yorkpatties

My old hairdresser did mention my texture changed (and I had been using MSM for a while) but I hear the hair changes with age so I thought that might have been why.

It took a long time but the MSM has helped my joints. That's the only reason I continue to take it.

RegaLady

I remember a post LONNNGG time ago about how MSM changed a ladies texture from kinky to straight,lol. I guess it is kinda possible. Does your hair seem to be shedding?

OsnapCnapp!

I remember a post LONNNGG time ago about how MSM changed a ladies texture from kinky to straight,lol. I guess it is kinda possible. Does your hair seem to be shedding?

It's just the normal shedding, nothing drastic. I doubt it will ever be straight but ugh its loose and looks pitiful and its crazy how I'm just noticing this. I mean....in August I will be 27 years old so is it really an age thing? It's confusing, I haven't used anything new or changed my routine or anything so I know its the MSM and I have no health problems.

SimJam

Sorry to hear about this.
and yes hair does thin with age, at least mine has. I tried going natural 12 years ago and even from pictures I had then I can tell my hair has thinned. I mean I still have a lot of hair, but its gotten thinner.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I took MSM for a couple of months and it did make my new growth much softer than the rest of my natural 4b hair but I liked it. It seemed to hold moisture better than the rest of my hair. I didn't take it long enough to see any other texture difference other than that.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I've been taking MSM for years now. It's made my hair and skin softer, helped with my allergies, and lessened my joint pain. I haven't noticed a texture change at all. I do wish all of my hair was one consistent texture though. I want all coils and not coils, then waves, then some woils (part wave part coil) lol.

Is it possible for you to try a collagen supplement instead?

yorkpatties

Yes, the woman who took MSM and woke up with "Asian hair". It happens. :lol:

Lita

I have taken msm in powder,off & on for a couple of years,for joint issues & it has done wonders..I notice less shedding (hair) and my cramps are less..

Happy Hair Growing!

Damaged but not out

side effects of MSM

possible detox effects( breakouts, upset stomach etc)
softening or loosening of hair texture and pattern
allergic reactions( hives, itching)
weird dreams
headaches

I've seen these mentioned in every msm thread, so when I started taking it, I went in slow and gradually increased. Like other posters mentioned, I narrowly evaded surgery for carpel tunnel related stress and my new growth was softer. Not different, not looser smoother is how I would describe it.

Hair thinning I have never heard as a possible side effect. Perhaps you should double check other possible sources for the the thinning. Might be good to stop taking any supplements, go super simple on the hair regimen and do a hair audit.

BlackHairDiva

Yup there is a long thread that came out around 2007-2008. One lady claimed that her hair changed texture....Her hair was like " Asian Hair"
Her hair as long and she also mentioned other "benifits"

One thing that came up in that long thread... someone mentioned that their period lasted less longer.

You might want to search for that thread.:yep:

I have been taking Natural Balance MSM and I take 1,000-2,000 mg/day with a Vit. C. I've been doing this for about a year. I have just recently noticed that my hair is softer when it grows in no doubt but damn.......it's changed my texture and I HATE it. It seems thin now! :perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed I didn't take MSM for this, I was taking it for hair and nail growth not to thin my schit out. I'm really pissed because it is so noticeably thin. My thick twists I once had are now thin little feeble ones. I am 4b and used to thick and kinky hair. It's now wavy and thin and just ugh.....I hate it! So while it totally jacked up my texture I really didn't see any growth. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this after taking MSM for an extended period and is there anyway to reverse this besides stopping them?

Queenmickie

Always thinking about my next hairstyle.
Today I shed one of my longer strands of hair. I like to examine these long specimens carefully. What I noticed was that my hair was considerably thinner at the root than at the end. The length of the hair was strong, stronger than my hair has ever been, but the end was much thicker. I am going to stop taking it and see what happens.

ETA
I have been taking 2,000 to 3,000 mgs a day for almost year.

Last edited: