I Am to Outdone

Aidenberry03

I got my hair braided on Friday. I get to work this morning and my boss is like

Boss:" I like your hair, it looks much better..."
Me: "Who are you talking to?".
Boss: "Well it looks better that it normal does"
Me::cool:
Boss: I am not saying anything bad, You look sorta like Janet Jackson
Me::cool: (I dont look like no damn Janet:ohwell: )
Boss: I am going in my office now
Me::mad:

I wear my hair in a neat bun, everyday. What is the problem?

I don't know, maybe I am being a little sensitive.

dillard

Is this a black person who knows you are wearing or braids, or is this a white person who possibly thinks it's your real hair or that you got a "haircut"?? :lachen:

well, it would make a slight difference to me depending on who was saying it, but i think a compliment is a compliment either way, so i'd say thanx and move on. maybe it's not so much the hair itself but the whole look that suits you somehow...? if that makes sense. a bun can look very, maybe "too" conservative sometimes IMO, whereas braids might seem more casual, fun... ya know?

Aidenberry03

Yeah, I mean he is a trip anyway. But I am here in my own world, minding my business and he comes in with that. I should kick his butt:mad:

Edit: My boss is white. My real hair is shoulder length but I have a head full of weave....pretty darn cute too!!!. My boss is just rude sometimes, and does not know how to talk to people. I have had to correct him before. I work in a company what is predominately white. My office I am the youngest and the only black person. Not to make this a race thing, but dang that extra stuff was not necessary.

Last edited:

Nazarite27

loreal99 said:

Boss or no boss.....he needs to "stay in HIS lane"!! :mad:

tarheelgurl

This is too funny! (and I'm not laughing at you I am laughing at how well you told this story!) Is your boss black or white? I wouldn't get too upset about it, maybe your boss was trying to make a compliment because it was a change that they could notice.

You know how some people get upset when others don't notice what they did different to their hair? Maybe the boss was trying to let you know that he/she noticed.

Just take it in stride!

fallback

Your boss should have kept his mouth shut...if you don't have anything nice say don't say anything at all. Geez...no manners. Keep wearing your hair girl!

MzOptimistic

loreal99 said:

No, you are not really sensitive. I wear my hair in a ponytail with my ends baggied and little bun covers and accessories and my boss had the nerve to say I should wear my hair more professional. Mind you I'm doing workstudy at school....anyways....anyhoo I am on a mission to grow my hair and I don't care what anyone say about my hair especially these women in the real world who just don't understand me in regards to hair. I still come in with my hair in my baggied ponytail. IDK:p I know my reasons and I don't have to explain them to anyone. I say all this to say, don't worry about what others think of you. You know your reasons for wearing your bun EVERYDAY and that's all that matters. When someone make another comment like that just take the compliment and keep it moving. Then one day they'll see all your pretty hidden hair:cool: ;)

fuchsiastar

tarheelgurl said:
This is too funny! (and I'm not laughing at you I am laughing at how well you told this story!) Is your boss black or white? I wouldn't get too upset about it, maybe your boss was trying to make a compliment because it was a change that they could notice.

You know how some people get upset when others don't notice what they did different to their hair? Maybe the boss was trying to let you know that he/she noticed.

Just take it in stride!

I agree, I would just smile and say "thank you" and keep it moving. Even when people get on your nerves sometimes the best thing to do is to "kill them with kindness". Especially since you said that the culture of your company is conservative....I've had to learn in my career to never take anything personally. If you do, especially in an environment that is different than what you are used to, you might find yourself offended at every turn...and for me that just does not make for a happy fuchsiastar :)

Aidenberry03

Oh I know they are "conservative" but still.

When he comes in with his "brush cut" I don't say...boy that sure looks better than that combover you have been rocking. I mean you look like Brad Pitt now.

PaperClip

Maybe he was trying to compliment your hair without catching a sexual harrassment case? :ohwell: :lol:

Sometimes we expect too much from (White) folk, esp. when it comes to matters of a racial/ethnic/cultural twist, such as how we "do" our hair....

Next time, walk away or make it a teachable moment, depending on how you feel that day:ohwell:.

Aidenberry03

See, I am not really bothered by the comment. I know my boss very well. We are a very relaxed office. But let me tell you how I felt. I thought he was calling me a "Tack Head". I mean damn, I do comb my hair.:lachen:

wheezy807

loreal99 said:
See, I am not really bothered by the comment. I know my boss very well. We are a very relaxed office. But let me tell you how I felt. I thought he was calling me a "Tack Head". I mean damn, I do comb my hair.:lachen:

I know exactly what you mean. 98% of the time i'm usaully wearing my bun, so that tiny 2% when i wear it out-it's a big deal. Mind you i work with every other ethnicity except us. Majority of comments are nice, but of course you get the haters(female coworkers). So i just laugh it up most of the time. It's amusing within itself to try to register the things that can come out of some peoples mouth.:lachen: