I am thinking about joining the SDA

Of course there are doctrinal differences, but the are surprising similarites:
state of the dead and resurrection, 1000 year reign of Christ, announcement of the second advent of Christ, paradise earth, atonement, no belief in hellfire.
As a person who associated with JWs for years, I recognize the similarities and subtle differences.

Of course there are doctrinal differences, but the are surprising similarites:
state of the dead and resurrection, 1000 year reign of Christ, announcement of the second advent of Christ, paradise earth, atonement, no belief in hellfire.
As a person who associated with JWs for years, I recognize the similarities and subtle differences.

There are surely similarities there. However, we differ on the 1000 year reign, in that JWs believe that the reign will be on earth. SDAs believe it will be in heaven. We both do believe in hellfire, but just that it isn't burning now and not forever. Not sure that we share the same beliefs regarding atonement though. What do JWs believe on that issue?

JWs believe in Jesus's sacrificial death. His death is the means by which God provides salvation to imperfect humans.

As you said there are doctrinal differences. Keep in mind, the founder of the JWs was influenced by Adventists.

Last edited:
JWs believe in Jesus's sacrificial death. His death is the means by which God provides salvation to imperfect humans.

As you said there are doctrinal differences. Keep in mind, the founder of the JWs was influenced by Adventists.

Both groups were born out of the Advent movement (Millerite) which was made up of people out of a number of different Christian branches (Methodist, Baptist etc.). The term Adventist simply meant that they were all looking towards or rather preparing for the Second Advent. The first Adventist was Baptist. The founder of the JWs was influenced by Adventists in general. SDAs, like JWs, emerged from Adventism as well.

Last edited:
yesterday Sabbath was the deciding factor for me. my oldest daughter went with us and we had such a good time that we came back for evening service and I came again this morning for Womans Prayer breakfast and it was an incredible experience, I enjoyed myself and the message was about Abby in the bible, Which is a story I had never read and how we woman are such a powerful influence in our children. our words can be an encouragement or a horrible testatment to a future of no hope. Abby is only mentioned 3 times in the bible. she was married to Ahaz, horrible king did horrible things in Juda. She is not talked about much but we can guess how powerful a woman she was from her son. her husband Ahaz sacrificed his children to a burning altar just evil completely and Abby a child herself had to raise her child amongst this horrible conditions. ALONE, you know what her sons name was Hezekiah Hezekiah trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him. 6 He held fast to the LORD and did not cease to follow him; he kept the commands the LORD had given Moses. 7 And the LORD was with him; he was successful in whatever he undertook. He rebelled against the king of Assyria and did not serve him. 8 From watchtower to fortified city, he defeated the Philistines, as far as Gaza and its territory. What an amazing story. Amazing she was a child who never bended she held fast to all she knew and raised her child to a child of God. That was an incredible moment for me as a mother I think about my life with my children and I can stand up and say I wasn't perfect but i am not shamed of my children and they are kind and considerate people and my parents might have flaws but they always taught me to fear God and I taught my children as well. I only wish I knew then what I know now.

I joined I am now a Seventh Day Adventist. It was worth it all to get here. I love my church and I love the teachings and I am truly happy I made the decision and I am never ever looking back. I am joining the choir this week.

CONGRATULATIONS to you, Blazin' on joining and having a church home.... :rosebud:

God's blessings to you as you continue your walk in Christ :bighug:

Love,
Laela

I joined I am now a Seventh Day Adventist. It was worth it all to get here. I love my church and I love the teachings and I am truly happy I made the decision and I am never ever looking back. I am joining the choir this week.

Back