SDA VS. APOLISTIC VS SABBATH

BeautifulNameX

My man a SDA and I wasn't too familar with it till I met his family. I visited his church a couple times and its cool. It seems to me just like a Baptis church that just meet on saturdays and do the sabbath. the service sorta remind me of my old church. its real real good. I like it.

but me I didnt start really really wanting to be close to God till I went to my friend lockdown at an apolistic church. I love it and the atmosphere when i leave it seem different. I go every sunday night. It seem like I get more outta it.

Im starting to keep the sabbath I like it. But I was wondering if I can keep the sabbath and still attend my Sunday appolistic church. The way I see is it dont matter what day you go to church on just as long as you honor the sabbath ang keep it holy? I dont know im prolly seeing it wrong but why do they choose to go on saturdays? and What can and cant you do on the Sabbath? a friend of mine from House of God said you cant cook clean work buy or watch tv or listen to music unless it horored God.

And is anyone House of God? What is that? What do you do and belive?

All this stuff is so confusing to me. I just finished reading my bible all the way but all this church stuff is confusing? I know you post to read and have a relationship on yo own thats what I try to do. But im sooo Confused?

alexstin

Girl, they got on Jesus about healing people on the Sabbath. And what did he say..... basically He only does what He sees the Father doing and the Father is always working. So the Father works on the sabbath, who would have thought?:grin:

Just remember, the sabbath was made for man not the other way around. If you want to go somewhere on Sat then so be it. If Sun, have fun.:yep:

EbonynIvory

My man a SDA and I wasn't too familar with it till I met his family. I visited his church a couple times and its cool. It seems to me just like a Baptis church that just meet on saturdays and do the sabbath. the service sorta remind me of my old church. its real real good. I like it.

but me I didnt start really really wanting to be close to God till I went to my friend lockdown at an apolistic church. I love it and the atmosphere when i leave it seem different. I go every sunday night. It seem like I get more outta it.

Im starting to keep the sabbath I like it. But I was wondering if I can keep the sabbath and still attend my Sunday appolistic church. The way I see is it dont matter what day you go to church on just as long as you honor the sabbath ang keep it holy? I dont know im prolly seeing it wrong but why do they choose to go on saturdays? and What can and cant you do on the Sabbath? a friend of mine from House of God said you cant cook clean work buy or watch tv or listen to music unless it horored God.

All this stuff is so confusing to me. I just finished reading my bible all the way but all this church stuff is confusing? I know you post to read and have a relationship on yo own thats what I try to do. But im sooo Confused?

I attend Assembly of God and we just had a lady leave our church for SDA because her "prayer partner" who is SDA convinced her that we were the debil because we attended church on Sunday and not the Sabbath. Also I believe they believe in not eating certain meats (I could be wrong so don't hold me to it).

To me I don't care what day you serve God on as long as you don't condemn people that don't serve him on the same day as you.

Nice & Wavy

Girl, they got on Jesus about healing people on the Sabbath. And what did he say..... basically He only does what He sees the Father doing and the Father is always working. So the Father works on the sabbath, who would have thought?:grin:

Just remember, the sabbath was made for man not the other way around. If you want to go somewhere on Sat then so be it. If Sun, have fun.:yep:

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!:look:

dicapr

First I want to day that there is nothing wrong with you going to both churches. God can speak to you on Saturday and Sunday. However, the bible specifically tells us that God set aside Saturday to be a day spent with him. Gen 2:2-3, Ex 20:8-11, Heb 4:3-11. Saturday is meant to be a day of rest for mankind, because we need to stop. This time is meant to be spent with God. You should be enjoying your time with God and being renewed spiritually and physically during this time. These activities should be so overwhelming on Sabbath that you should not want to engage in everyday activities. Often, they are not even missed. SDA do work on Sabbath, but usually not on a job or for pay. Often Sabbath is a good day to go to sick and shut in members houses to clean and bring a meal. We do spiritual work such as evangilism. And there are those who are public servents who actually go into a job, however,we normally donate our wages on that day and perform as donated time. Nurses, doctors, police, fireman SDA work on Sabbath. It is helping your fellow man. Someone working in a department store would not work because there is rarely a true retail emergency. I hope this answeres some of your questions.

PaperClip

This post is more of a question versus a comment. I read the Hebrews 4 verses concerning the Sabbath (I did not read the Old Testament verses because of my understanding that since Jesus is the Sabbath (John 5:5-17), we are not necessarily bound to those specific rituals but that it is now more about the principles behind those rituals that are to be upheld).

So when I read the Hebrews 4 verses, verse 4 says "For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works."

So what stood out for me was the point of the "seventh day"... and what day is actually the seventh day...according to what calendar? Who decided which day is the seventh? We follow the Gregorian calendar, I believe, yes? Do Jews follow the Gregorian calendar? Their "sabbath" begins on Friday sundown to Saturday sundown....

What's "right"? What's the REAL TRUTH?

So with what I said about the principle behind the ritual of the sabbath, that there is a need and wisdom in setting aside time to rest, reflect, and be spiritually (and physically) refreshed.

I came across this book "Sabbath Keeping: Finding Freedom In The Rhythms Of Rest" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0830832580

and I got a sense that the more important point out of all of this is to set aside specific time to honor sabbath principles...and this could be done ANYTIME...not a specific day, seventh day, etc. So if I want to designate my sabbath on Monday from noon to noon Tuesday or some specific time, I'm still appropriately "honoring the sabbath"....

Which brings me to another question: is a core point concerning the honoring the sabbath connected to choosing the Lord over work/profit/self? For example, if your workplace schedules you on a particular day but that's the day of your "sabbath" (again, societal tradition influences us to do this ONLY on Saturday or Sunday).... So even with this, I'm thinking that honoring the sabbath can be done on any day....

Based on what I just wrote here, I'd like to suggest that the corporate worship experience on Saturday, Sunday or any day is not necessarily part of the sabbath ritual.... Going to church, if you will is, at least, simply the assembly of a body of believers to worship the Lord to edify the entire assembly, welcome in new souls, etc. Isn't the actual SABBATH experience more of what has been stated before of visiting the sick, spending time with family, quiet time, so on and so forth?

So I'm thinking the corporate worship time and sabbath time could be considered two different and distinctive activities...which leads me to believe that the actual day is irrelevant...just as long as the sabbath is honored....

dicapr

This post is more of a question versus a comment. I read the Hebrews 4 verses concerning the Sabbath (I did not read the Old Testament verses because of my understanding that since Jesus is the Sabbath (John 5:5-17), we are not necessarily bound to those specific rituals but that it is now more about the principles behind those rituals that are to be upheld).

So when I read the Hebrews 4 verses, verse 4 says "For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works."

So what stood out for me was the point of the "seventh day"... and what day is actually the seventh day...according to what calendar? Who decided which day is the seventh? We follow the Gregorian calendar, I believe, yes? Do Jews follow the Gregorian calendar? Their "sabbath" begins on Friday sundown to Saturday sundown....

What's "right"? What's the REAL TRUTH?

So with what I said about the principle behind the ritual of the sabbath, that there is a need and wisdom in setting aside time to rest, reflect, and be spiritually (and physically) refreshed.

I came across this book "Sabbath Keeping: Finding Freedom In The Rhythms Of Rest" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0830832580

and I got a sense that the more important point out of all of this is to set aside specific time to honor sabbath principles...and this could be done ANYTIME...not a specific day, seventh day, etc. So if I want to designate my sabbath on Monday from noon to noon Tuesday or some specific time, I'm still appropriately "honoring the sabbath"....

Which brings me to another question: is a core point concerning the honoring the sabbath connected to choosing the Lord over work/profit/self? For example, if your workplace schedules you on a particular day but that's the day of your "sabbath" (again, societal tradition influences us to do this ONLY on Saturday or Sunday).... So even with this, I'm thinking that honoring the sabbath can be done on any day....

Based on what I just wrote here, I'd like to suggest that the corporate worship experience on Saturday, Sunday or any day is not necessarily part of the sabbath ritual.... Going to church, if you will is, at least, simply the assembly of a body of believers to worship the Lord to edify the entire assembly, welcome in new souls, etc. Isn't the actual SABBATH experience more of what has been stated before of visiting the sick, spending time with family, quiet time, so on and so forth?

So I'm thinking the corporate worship time and sabbath time could be considered two different and distinctive activities...which leads me to believe that the actual day is irrelevant...just as long as the sabbath is honored....

Saturday as the Sabbath is recognized by churches because of the Jewish observance. They have been keeping Saturday from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday from recieving the 10 commandments. Historically, the early christian church actually observed the Sabbath on Saturday. It was later changed to distance the Christian Church from the Jews. The original churches were Sabbath keepers. You do have a good point about the spirit that things are done with. Worship and Sabbath can occur on two different days. We should worship everyday, but Sabbath is a specific day in time. We can choose to do sabbath day activities on any day, but it does not make it the Sabbath. Why? Because God set a specific day for Sabbath. I can celebrate my birthday when it is convient, but it doesn't change actual date I was born on. We can celebrate Sabbath when we want, but God said that Sabbath was the Seventh day of the week. Sabbath is a date God made with us. I personally won't tell him it is incovient to keep our date and that I'd like to reschedule.