I am getting breakage at the root.

SleepyJean

Do any of you know why? Everytime I comb (which I do soooo lightly), I get 2 or 3 hairs with the white bulbs. Is this normal? What can I do? I've tried protein treatments, and they helped some, but my breakage is still inexplicable to me. Possible answer and solutions anyone? :perplexed

IntoMyhair

It is shedding.
shedding is normal you will lose 50 to 100 hairs a day.
now if it was a ton of shed hairs i would worry.

Leslie_C

yep that isnt breakage, its shedding which is normal, and thats a good thing! If u are getting a bunch of strands with NO bulbs all the time...then u have a reason to worry.

pazyamor

You're shedding, which is the equivalent to losing dead skin...your hair is ever-growing in a small space (i.e. your scalp), so your hair naturally and progressively gets rid of old hair to make way for the new!

Moroni

I saw a post by someone a few days ago who said that she found out that her hair was actually breaking "at the root" because she needed protein. She said that she thought it was shedding because she could see the bulb, but apparently it wasn't the whole bulb. After her stylist used a conditioner with silk protein in it, the "breakage"/shedding stopped.

I'll see if I can find the post and bump it for you.

Energist

I used to freak out when I would see what I know now to be shedding, from the root! I think that the longer the hair gets, the more the shedding happens or the more it's noticeable. I'm now happy if I see a bulb :)