How to wash Grease out???

itismehmmkay

So, when I was a TWA natural, the only products that tamed my hair and allowed me to really ROCK it were regular grease and mousse. I would wash daily w/ CON, add the grease and mousse and it would be so lovely (I'm not exaggerating).

2 weeks later, I had a build-up problem. I remember trying clarifiers and I think I almost attempted alcohol (don't think I did though). Ultimetely, I did not find anything to remove the build-up and that was one of the main reasons why I decided to cut the natural journey.

So, I'm making plans to transition again, but I do need a heads up as to what I can use in the future if build-up becomes a problem.

I know many people use apple cider vinegar, baking soda, etc. (neither of which I tried). Are there any other ideas?

I just did a google search for this. Now, this is a method for getting grease out of clothing stains, but hair is definitely a fiber ;)

How to Remove Grease Stains
This quick tip uses common household materials, liquid dish detergent and white vinegar, to instantly and completely remove grease stains from clothing.

Steps
Cover entire grease spot with liquid dish detergent. Colourless detergent is preferred. If using coloured detergent, be sure to dilute it or the detergent will stain clothing.
Gently work detergent into grease. You will instantly see it dissolve. The newer dish detergents have special properties that allow them to absorb grease.
Rinse the area with white vinegar to remove all of the detergent.
Wash as usual.
For really stubborn grease stains, keep repeating steps 1-3. Even grease from a white polo shirt marked with grease from a boat engine can be removed by this method.
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Grease-Stains

Cornstarch
Apply a little cornstarch and rub it into the hair, it will absorb some, if not all the vaseline and then you can shampoo it out and it should get better.
http://www.hairboutique.com/tip951.htm

Removing Grease
To remove grease or hair from the drain, use equal parts of vinegar, salt and baking soda. Pour mixture down the drain and let stand for 15 minutes. Then pour boiling water down the drain.
http://pinksunrise.com/fixit/cleaning.htm

Club Soda
Remove grease from a car windshield. Keep a bottle filled with Canada Dry Club Soda in the trunk of your car.
http://www.wackyuses.com/canadadry.html

Aloe Vera

The alcohol in hairspray...this is what I was thinking...
...spray the stain with ordinary hair spray until it is saturated, then wash in water with detergent once more. The alcohol in the hair spray helps dissolve the grease. Hair spray works well on ball-point ink, too, which is another type of grease stain.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060718120126AA7BZmW

Last edited:
I find that when I have a lot of oils and product in my hair that rinsing under warm water in the shower for 5 minutes helps loosen things up --- then I'll just lather with my regular shampoo 2 to 3 times until it works up a really rich thick lather.....alternately I'd try a mild clarifier.

Chayil

Elucence Moisture Acidifying poo
Elucence Clarifying poo
Both clarify but don't strip hair of moisture

Ok this is harsh you'll have to deep condition after for at least 45 min
Tide, yes I mean the one you use for your clothes, it will get everything out for sure.

Lucia said:
Ok this is harsh you'll have to deep condition after for at least 45 min
Tide, yes I mean the one you use for your clothes, it will get everything out for sure.
Yeah, I've heard that detergents are actually better for hair than soap. How did you come across this, Lucia?

I had a hairdresser in L.A. that would have to wash my hair with Lemon-scent Joy (dish liquid) to get all the Murray's Pomade/Sport N' Waves built up in my hair for over 2 - 3 weeks. I mean I was using this stuff on the daily. I would imagine that you would have to use a really good conditioning poo and deep conditioner to follow-up. Good luck!

MoMo said:
I had a hairdresser in L.A. that would have to wash my hair with Lemon-scent Joy (dish liquid) to get all the Murray's Pomade/Sport N' Waves built up in my hair for over 2 - 3 weeks. I mean I was using this stuff on the daily. I would imagine that you would have to use a really good conditioning poo and deep conditioner to follow-up. Good luck!
I think we have a winner!

itismehmmkay said:
Yeah, I've heard that detergents are actually better for hair than soap. How did you come across this, Lucia?
This is what women in my family did to get stylist products out of their hair, in the carribean we prefer hair natural esp. if your not from the big cities. So if you got it styled for some event in a couple of days you'd wash all the crap out of your hair deep condition then oil and braid it and call it a day.

Last edited:
scorpian said:
Elucence Moisture Acidifying poo
Elucence Clarifying poo
Both clarify but don't strip hair of moisture

I use Eluence Clarifying. It removes build up very well.

Last edited:
When I used to wear braids and slather my head with grease my friend (who did my hair) would wash it with dishwashing liquid first to cut the grease. Now I use V05 Kiwi-Lime Clarifying shampoo and it gets everything out even shea butter and coconut oil.

I have seen some stylist use DAWN dishwashing liquid especially when there is alot of grease .... HTH :ohwell:

I swear by ACV rinses. I also use it for my daughter's naturals. Besides removing build-up, it detangles, strengthens and adds shine to the hair. IMO it can't be beat. I use the Braggs brand. I have to say that I have no routine to speak of, which means hardly any protein. AND i've been bad to my hair over the months. I think the rinses is one of the main things that keeps me from losing the growth I've gotten.

I was going to suggest dishwashing liquid as well. I've never heard of Tide being used. Did you have any negative reactions to the skin/scalp?

In the book Brown Skin by Dr. Susan Taylor, she recommends shampoo for oily hair after hot oil treatments and to eliminate build-up. I haven't tried it yet...I have had trouble removing oil after hot oil treatments, so I plan to try the next time I do one. It makes sense though, b/c oily hair shampoos tend to be geared towards and used by people with straight hair, and if you have straight hair, oil created at your follicle does slide down the hair shaft and create oiliness. People with coarse and curly hair frequently need more oil and conditioner because the oil that our hair follicle produces cannot slip and slide down our hair shafts, even when chemically straightened.
I also know that my Caucasian friends with extremely straight hair do have oil issues and cannot do more than a day or two without shampooing. And one of my friends attempted to use my shampoo, that for me is not even that moisturizing, and her hair just could not take it. She said it felt as though she had left a ton of conditioner on her hair without rinsing. It might be worth a shot...I think that some of the chemicals in things like Tide or Joy would not be good for your scalp, and you should not expose your skin to them. I think that you'd see other problems besides your hair if you put that stuff on your scalp.
If you don't want to try the oily hair shampoo, then I'd try the natural methods recommended here.

Back