How to measure new growth.

Jenai

I know this may sound stupid, but how do you determine when to get a touchup? I know most recommend waiting until you have at least 1 inch of new growth, but is this one inch of new growth stretched out?

Some areas of my head, my new growth has major shrinkage, so 1 inch of new growth would really be like 2 inches when stretched out. Plus, the back has a looser curl pattern than the front so the 1 inch of new growth would be 1.5 inches. How do you ladies measure? Thanks.

Allandra

GiGi,

I don't measure my new growth. I just get a relaxer touch up every three months (which gives me enough time to get a good amount of new growth).

Julia

This is an interesting question. I tried to ask a question something like this awhile back. I wanted to know for example, if three inches of new growth actually translates into three inches of length (assuming no trims of course)?

I just got a touch up and the hair dresser told me that I got about 1.5 inches new growth (personally I think it was more BUT that could just be wishful thinking) However when I got home and started to play in my hair it seems like my overall length increased more than 1.5 inches? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Allandra, how much growth would you say you get over a three month period?

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Julia said:
Allandra, how much growth would you say you get over a three month period?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea because I don't measure it. I just know it's more than enough for my hair stylist to not overlap when applying the relaxer creme to my new growth.

Amethyst

Allandra I'm just realizing after all this time, what it means when you say you have waistelength hair in terms of setting it. How do you rollerset all that hair? I don't know how this question escaped me that I didn't ask you this sooner. Thanks.

Allandra

My hair stylist roller sets my hair after each relaxer touch up (every three months). Other than that, I normally wear it in a protective style. As far as me roller setting it myself, I definitely don't do it often. /images/graemlins/nono.gif I try to do it myself at least once or twice in between touch ups. So far, I've only done one roller set since my last touch up (December 21). /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

G

I got kinda stupid answer but it works for me..

You know the lines in your fingers I use the forefinger the distance between the tip of my finger (nail exlcuded)and the first line is exactly one inch. So I use that to measure. Your right different sections vary.

Jenai

It seems like each person has their own way of telling what an inch of growth looks like. I guess I am going to have to just go on gut feelings and say it will be time for a touch up soon. If I stretch my hair out, I will have a full inch of new growth, and the hairdresser will be able to avoid the new growth. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jenai

It seems like each person has their own way of telling what an inch of growth looks like, but you all make sure that it is enough to avoid overlapping. I guess I am going to have to just go on gut feelings and say it will be time for a touch up soon. If I stretch my hair out, I will have a full inch of new growth, and the hairdresser will be able to avoid the new growth. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for all your help. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Almond_Delight

Allandra
Hi, I noticed in your signature that you relax your hair, but not bone strait, why is that?
I'm new by the way /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Almond_Delight said:
Allandra
Hi, I noticed in your signature that you relax your hair, but not bone strait, why is that?
I'm new by the way /images/graemlins/wave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hello and welcome to the board. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

It allows me to keep my natural waves, and when I want my hair straight, a nice roller set and wrap will do.