How to make your own "Tonytail"

Last week, I purchased a "Tonytail" which is a synthetic hair elastic band that comes in different colors so you can wrap it around your ponytail and secure it and look like you have a piece of your own hair wrapped around the base of the ponytail to secure it. Well, I was disaapointed b/c it didn't match my haircolor (it's probably about a 4 and I'm a 2) nor texture (it was shiny). Well, I made my own! What I did was take a piece of hair about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide. You can take a piece of hair that matches your color and texture exactly, just find a brand that works well for you, whether it's synthetic, Kanekalon, human or whatever....I cut up one of those Goody's elastic bands in half. I secured one end of the hair with an ouchless rubber band and took one end of the Goody band and wrapped that around. The other end I had to fold the ouchless rubberband inhalf sort of and I wrapped it around, and voila--your own Tonytail that will match your haircolor and texture perfectly and for a fraction of the cost! :grin:

Sistaslick

Help a sista out. I'm a little slow, girl....I'm trying to visualize this but its not working out too well...:lol: Do you have any pics of a tonytail and/or your homemade one? Is it a phony pony? I'm a lil lost :lol:

Last edited:

deborah11

Girl, I am so glad it worked for you, but I too am a little slow and need visual aids if possible. Rock it!

Amoreofcurls

Bump -- I'm trying to learn how to do this instead of buying the tonytail...can someone help me out with how to make my own braid? I just ordered a couple of wigs and would like to use this as a braided headband.

ETA: Tony Tail website --- >> Tonytail.com | Shop for Unique Headbands!

Ive made my own braided headband before, I just got some braiding hair, right whe the hair folds I used a bobbypin and my mouth to hold the hair up and braided it down the length, then secured it with a rubber band...

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I like the idea. I wish the site allowed me to see a larger photo of the tonytail.

A great visual is a wig tut by Ateeya....she uses them as her headbands. I've watched so many wig tuts that I can't think of which one she used it on but I think it's Outre Sabina...I'll edit when I find it. ETA: found it...YouTube - Outre "Sabina" Wig. She places the headbands on close to the end of the tut so you'll have to fast forward to the end around the 6:00 mark.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Ive made my own braided headband before, I just got some braiding hair, right whe the hair folds I used a bobbypin and my mouth to hold the hair up and braided it down the length, then secured it with a rubber band...

I'm trying to get a visual. How do you put the hair on as a headband? Do you bobbypin it on?

Amoreofcurls

I'm trying to get a visual. How do you put the hair on as a headband? Do you bobbypin it on?

Yea thats what I would do if I were to, but ive never used the braids as a headband (I use my real hair) before....

I used a few pieces in this updo, and I just bobby pinned them around the buns...

I was saying that, since I had no one to hold the hair as I braided, I used a bobby pin and held it with my mouth as I braided it down...