How to Get Big, Oversized Curls?

spellinto

Hi all :) I want to achieve big, effortless curls (without heat) like these:

1. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ztg3KE3u-HA/U4cwEHi-BWI/AAAAAAAAICk/SHx93HEpUO0/s1600/bigcurls4.jpg
  2. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WR5qd6x1-ig/U4cwIANlRtI/AAAAAAAAIDA/aeS2Exav4EQ/s1600/bigcurls3+-+Copy.jpg
Caruso steam rollers were one heatless option but I want a cheaper alternative, just in case I dislike them (I heard the curls don't last long, and they look better on hair that's been prepped with heat beforehand). Flexi rods were the other alternative, but I'm not aiming for spiral waves.

Do you think using jumbo rollers on my air dried (not wet or straightened) relaxed hair with some setting lotion/mousse will do the trick? If so, what size rollers should I buy?

APrayer4Hair

I think if you roll on flexis and comb it out you can achieve this. Look. Big rods and probably not very many.

nlamr2013

I have done this on my natural hair with magnetic rollers

then I believe I bumped the roots only and wrapped it

Didn't like it both down lol so I pinned a side back

So I think you could do a roller set with at least the 1 1/4 inch roller. And skip the bump since you're relaxed. Wrap it (not too tightly) and finger comb it down

overtherainbow

I get this look on my mom (Shes relaxed, APL-BSB) for every big event with the Revlon steam rollers. I got them for around $20 on Amazon and they're like a Caruso knock off. After seeing my mom's results, I think they work better than Caruso because she gets second day hair out of them. I do not straighten her hair before hand, her hair is usually freshly washed and air dried.

MzRhonda

I love my Caruso and it works well on my relaxed hair (not sure about natural yet) my curls last a long time....they may fall a bit but if I did not want to I would not have to re-curl my hair the next day.

PlainJane

I've gotten this look using satin foam rollers. I tried it after Lauren Mechelle posted her results. I can't find the thread but if you google her name and satin roller it should take you to her blog. I did mine on hair that was air dried tied down with a scarf.

spellinto

Thanks everyone!

nlamr2013: your hair looks lovely :love:! Thank you for the pictures and the size suggestions. How do you wrap curls, and what do you mean by "bumping" the roots?

PlainJane MzRhonda APrayer4Hair: Thank you for the alternatives :yep:! I have satin rollers so I will play with those. I also have flexi rods, but I never thought to roll them like rollers (I always spiral my hair around them). I will try both of these methods before moving to something else.

nlamr2013

Thanks everyone!

nlamr2013: your hair looks lovely :love:! Thank you for the pictures and the size suggestions. How do you wrap curls, and what do you mean by "bumping" the roots?

PlainJane MzRhonda APrayer4Hair: Thank you for the alternatives :yep:! I have satin rollers so I will play with those. I also have flexi rods, but I never thought to roll them like rollers (I always spiral my hair around them). I will try both of these methods before moving to something else.

Awe thank you that was two years ago lol I have had so many cuts since then I may try this again to see if I can get the same results I never tried lol
By wrap the curl I mean once you remove the rollers to wrap your hair like a duby (doobie I never know how to spell it) with a comb instead of a brush you don't want it flat you just want the curls at the roots to fall out. But since you're relaxed a run through with a comb and gingers might work as well. And by bump I mean go over the roots with a flat iron.

I though of another way as well lol try air drying or doing a rollerset with rollers that only let's your hair go around 2-3 times max then take the rollers out and do large loose flat pin curls going away from the face