How to blow dry?

Elleebeme5

Hi, I did a search and didn't see this exact topic. If it's a repeat, I'd appreciate being shown the previous topic.

My hair is natural and I have no interest in relaxing or pressing it now (I might press it again someday). What I want to do is wear my hair in one French braid. While it's long enough to do that in the top, it's not long enough in the back. So I was thinking to blow dry it so that would be stretched out enough to braid. The problem is, I don't know how to blow dry my hair! Before I stopped relaxing, I went to the shop every week so I never shampooed my hair (I didn't own a curling iron till a few years ago) meaning no blow dryer. My questions:

- I'm sure I need a protective something but what? I have CD Hair Honey and Hair Butter.

- Exactly how do you do it? Do you dry all over or in sections? Do you comb first or detangle first?

Let me add that I don't want my hair bone straight or even close to it. I just want some added length. TIA!

inthepink

When I blowdry, I use a light oil and blowdry in sections using the blowdryer with the comb attachment. It takes patience but works.

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
When I blowdry, I use a light oil and blowdry in sections using the blowdryer with the comb attachment. It takes patience but works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...working in sections (at least 4) is the key, along with PATIENCE.

Also, if you're natural and you just want some added length. have you tried banding?

Cinnabuns

I tossed my blow dryer into the garbage can last week so I do not currently blow dry anymore now and forever more.

But to answer your question about how to blow-dry, I remember reading that if you must apply heat to the hair you should use a low setting on the blow-dryer itself and your pressing comb should be no hotter than 190 degrees. Also when blow-drying try not to aim the nozzle head close to your hair and scalp, doing so well help to prevent major dryness.

As far as protectiveness and very good leave-in conditioner is good like Infusium leave-in, this stuff is really good!

I agree with the first two comments about sectioning the hair in four parts. I also suggest that if you use the comb attachment to comb as slow as possible to gently remove any tangles.

lillian743

I love blow drying my hair, but I can only get it to make a bigger afro, I dont think you should blow dry to much, cause it will dry out your hair. I used to be able to make my hai lok like it was 2c-3b at the ends but since I've been blow drying it, it wont act right!

Hairlove, what do you do to keep your hair from geting dryed out? BTW my hair is colored.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
lillian743 said:
Hairlove, what do you do to keep your hair from geting dryed out? BTW my hair is colored.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blowdry my hair often so dryness isn't an issue. If you mean during the time that I wear it straight - it stays moist b/c I've usually used too much oil.

good2uuuu

I seldom blow dry. I only do it to trim. When I do I apply my shea butter concoction to my towel blotted hair, carfully make sure it's detangled, put it in 6 braided or twisted sections so it can get mostly dry, then I blow dry one section at a time with my dryer on medium. I am natural too and I also color. This method keeps my hair from getting too dry.

babyblue

Try adding a leave in with some oil or pomade and blow dry while hair is damp in sections starting with a low temperature and gradually increasing it. Some people say not to blow dry wet hair, but I find that wet/damp hair is easier to work with.

Elleebeme5

I don't put it in a French braid while it's damp/wet cause it's too short in the back. It's about 9 inches in the top but in the back it's maybe 4. So when I pull the hair back to get ready to braid, it's not long enough.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try next week. I don't have a comb attachment though.