How to battle scab hair?

oldcrayons

There are patches of my hair that do not take any type of moisturizer whats so ever; it's mainly my hairline and some parts in the middle of my head. I have been transitioning for about four months and I was wondering how long it took for you to grow the scab hair out? And these areas barely have any new growth... So I guess my hair is very damaged :S Is there anything I can do? I do hot oil treatments already and I keep my hair well moisturize. I am just beginning to get irritated!

[edit] I should add that whenever I had a relaxer giant scabs formed on my scalp :S I have a sensitive scalp and the relaxers were literally burning my skin off

Last edited:
There are patches of my hair that do not take any type of moisturizer whats so ever; it's mainly my hairline and some parts in the middle of my head. I have been transitioning for about four months and I was wondering how long it took for you to grow the scab hair out? And these areas barely have any new growth... So I guess my hair is very damaged :S Is there anything I can do? I do hot oil treatments already and I keep my hair well moisturize. I am just beginning to get irritated!

aww remember scab hair. My scab hair was something Awful. My sis asked me "are you sure you want to go natural?" :perplexed: I started co-washing, stopped using shampoo all together and that was what turned my hair around. Hot oil treatments did nothing for me, I had to deep condition with a good conditioner mixed with either olive oil, coconut oil, or caster oil and I did this every week. I also used caster oil, glycerin and water on my edges. Butters really worked well, my fav being avacado butter. There is a thread started Kiya about adding salt to conditoners for added moisture. I've tried this with great success on my 4b, and other ladies are finding success also. I don't know how it would work on scab hair but it's worth the try. I think Shimmie calls it the Kiya Fizzle :lol: Heres the thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262381&highlight=salt+conditioner

Oh and my diet helped as well, plenty of omega 3's and water. Hope that helps!

I'd say about maybe 3 or 4 months. Everybody doesn't experience it though. And some people don't think it exists at all. My hair looks totally different now than it did when I transitioned and after I bced.

aww remember scab hair. My scab hair was something Awful. My sis asked me "are you sure you want to go natural?" :perplexed: I started co-washing, stopped using shampoo all together and that was what turned my hair around. Hot oil treatments did nothing for me, I had to deep condition with a good conditioner mixed with either olive oil, coconut oil, or caster oil and I did this every week. I also used caster oil, glycerin and water on my edges. Butters really worked well, my fav being avacado butter. There is a thread started Kiya about adding salt to conditoners for added moisture. I've tried this with great success on my 4b, and other ladies are finding success also. I don't know how it would work on scab hair but it's worth the try. I think Shimmie calls it the Kiya Fizzle :lol: Heres the thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262381&highlight=salt+conditioner

Oh and my diet helped as well, plenty of omega 3's and water. Hope that helps!

ITA with everything stated. I stopped using shampoo, started regularly cowashing, and deep conditioning with a quality DC is my best friend.

I really think the key to the whole scab hair thing is patience. Keep it as moisturized as you can and wait it out. No matter what I did, my scab hair was always more coarse and dry than the rest of my NG. It wasn't until the 5th month that I noticed a change. And its still there in some places. I just accept that my scalp is/was damaged in these areas, and I have to put in a little extra work to get my hair as healthy as it can be.

ITA with everything stated. I stopped using shampoo, started regularly cowashing, and deep conditioning with a quality DC is my best friend.

I really think the key to the whole scab hair thing is patience. Keep it as moisturized as you can and wait it out. No matter what I did, my scab hair was always more coarse and dry than the rest of my NG. It wasn't until the 5th month that I noticed a change. And its still there in some places. I just accept that my scalp is/was damaged in these areas, and I have to put in a little extra work to get my hair as healthy as it can be.

I think it took around the same time, around 4-5 months, before I saw a difference in texture. In the meantime taking care of your scab hair is key. Initially I started getting split ends and breakage trying to rake through my hair (this is pre-LHCF :nono:).

Subscribing. I wanna know also. I think I'm having this problem in my crown area. It's just rough feeling & it's hard as heck to get it moisturized.

For me, it was about 5 months into my transition when I started noticing a difference. I washed my hair more frequently with Keracare for dry and itchy scalp, started taking flaxseed oil and MSM, drank a lot of water, DC with castor oil, avocado oil, and shikakai oil. I kept my hair moisturized and avoided putting too many products in my hair or on my scalp. Since then, the hair in those problem areas is much healthier.

Back