how soon after u wash can u touch up

nychaelasymone

I washed my hair yesterday night (Thursday) but I really need to touch up but couldn't since I just received scalp injections. I typically wait 3 days after receiving injections to wash but it poured rain yesterday and I had to wash. My question, is three days after I washed my hair too soon to apply a relaxer?

dlewis

I wash and relaxer the same day, most times. Wash in the morning, relax at night (and my hair is normally damp). And this works for me. I don't see a reason not to do it.

preciousjewel76

dlewis said:
I wash and relaxer the same day, most times. Wash in the morning, relax at night (and my hair is normally damp). And this works for me. I don't see a reason not to do it.

Really? I was always under the impression that you shouldn't wash your hair for about 72 hours before a chemical service.:confused: I typically don't wash for a week before a touch up, to avoid any scalp issues.

dlewis

preciousjewel76 said:
Really? I was always under the impression that you shouldn't wash your hair for about 72 hours before a chemical service.:confused: I typically don't wash for a week before a touch up, to avoid any scalp issues.

If I waiting a week I would have sores all over the places. I scalp starts to itch really bad on day three after a wash. I've heard people say that and two stylist I went to would not perm my hair because of this.

I think the reason NOT to do this, is to avoid irritating the scalp, which could then lead to chemical burns from the relaxer.

cocoberry10

dlewis said:

I'm with you dlewis. I usually wash the night before a relaxer. My hair is super pliable, and parts easier, and I don't burn. I don't use shampoo (sometimes conditioner), but I will just rinse my hair and put my product on.

Back when I used to wait a week to relax, my hair burned like crazy and I ALWAYS had scalp burns. This past relaxer I washed 2 days before my relaxer, and it was still okay.

Off-topic: DLewis, your hair is "ROCKIN FANTASTIC" Looking!

AtlantaJJ

cocoberry10 said:
I'm with you dlewis. I usually wash the night before a relaxer. My hair is super pliable, and parts easier, and I don't burn. I don't use shampoo (sometimes conditioner), but I will just rinse my hair and put my product on.

Back when I used to wait a week to relax, my hair burned like crazy and I ALWAYS had scalp burns. This past relaxer I washed 2 days before my relaxer, and it was still okay.

This is so interesting...another benefit I can see from relaxing newly washed hair is that you would have a clear line of demarcation between NG and previously relaxed hair (a guess).

preciousjewel76

Sounds like it definitely depends on the person then!

AtlantaJJ: Personally, I can see the line of demarcation in my hair better several days after I wash. It needs a few days to kink up a little, LOL.

dlewis

cocoberry10 said:

Thank you very much.:D

nychaelasymone, you have to do what's best for you. If your breaks easily then don't relax three days after washings. And if you don't mind me asking, why are you getting scalp injections?

~Nigeria~

I've washed my hair and got a relaxer the next day with no problems. I just based my scalp like crazy so it wouldn't burn and put some leave in conditioner in my hair before I relaxed.

nychaelasymone

dlewis said:
Thank you very much.:D

nychaelasymone, you have to do what's best for you. If your breaks easily then don't relax three days after washings. And if you don't mind me asking, why are you getting scalp injections?

I have fine hair so I can't afford to lose much but I received my last round of cortizone shots yesterday for my edges and crown. Thankfully, they've worked very well in returing the hair to my edges....my crown is taking a little longer but whenever I relax, that area is extra based and is relaxed last. So far so good....praise the LORD!

dlewis

Based on what you have said, no I would not get a relaxer just yet.

Will the relaxer have a re-actions with the cortizone? I don't know but I'm wondering.

nychaelasymone

dlewis said:
Based on what you have said, no I would not get a relaxer just yet.

Will the relaxer have a re-actions with the cortizone? I don't know but I'm wondering.

it hasn't in the past, but I usually like to wait until the injection sites are healed and closed.