How often do you let your hair down?

i am currently about apl, and i love my progress, but sometimes i really have to to ask myself . " why do i like having lenghth? I might rock my hair loose and straight the first week of a fresh relaxer but after that its all about braid outs , bantu knot outs and buns, I am meticulous when it comes to my hair, but lately it seems to be tiresome. My hair is very coarse but i still stretch my relaxers 12 weeks at a time, i find myself annoyed at my hair if its hanging in my face and usually end up twisting it up with jaw clip thoughout the day. i cant stand when people are amazed that a dark skinned girl like myself actually has some hair on her head! , its not even that long!

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
well what do you mean by letting your hair down? do you mean down and straight?

i am not even going mention anything else
:look:

Nasdaq_Diva

I haven't worn my hair 'out' or in a style since <gulp> Nov 2010! I'm in the HYH challenge. I miss my hair alot..:sad:

Used2Bbald

I haven't worn my hair 'out' or in a style since <gulp> Nov 2010! I'm in the HYH challenge. I miss my hair alot..:sad:

I miss my hair at times too.:yep: I am wearing a texturizer and I am in an akward growth stage. I wear a wig everyday. Sometimes it gets hectic but I try to focus on my goals. I take my wig off and seal the ends of my cornrows and the only other time I take it down is to wash. But it will pay off in the end.:grin:

kittikat24

I'm guessing you mean straight/down.
The last time I flat ironed was Sep 2010, and that was the only time for the yr!:look: Now I'm planning on wearing it straight in like 2 wks, and I'm a bit nervous. Since I'm transitioning, alot of my relaxed ends have broken off, so its mostly natural n very thick. :perplexed I'm not used to dealing with my hair when its down though.
I'll wear it down for an event I'm attending, then I'm planning on wearing it in soft/romantic style updo's.:grin: I prefer those.:yep:

EbonyCPrincess

I am currently wearing a weave; But I wear my hair out and down on a regular basis. I don't flat iron often though, 1) because I'm relaxed and 2) because I like braidouts.

But even in the styles you say you rock on a regular (buns, ponytails and updos), I think they look better with longer hair. The bigger my bun gets....the better!!!! So my HHJ isn't just so that I have longer hair to wear down and out, its so it looks better up & full too :yep:!!!

Last edited:

danigurl18

I usually do for about 10 minutes and then I think about my ends brushing up against my clothes and then I throw it up into a clip lol

AlliCat

I don't wear my hair down very often. I like to keep it up out of my face because sometimes it interferes with daily stuff...I'm also in a hide your hair challenge so it's always up either in a bun, ponytail or halfwig...I probably wear my hair down once a month

NaturalBoss

I'm natural and I only wear my hair straight down about twice a year. The only time I used to wear my hair down often was when I was relaxed and had a short bob. Other than that, I'm the ponytail type.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
it's been forevvvvvveeeeeerrrrrr... but that will change in june (i say that every year:ohwell:)

hannan

The longest my hair's been out was maybe 20 minutes. I just don't like the feeling of having it all out and about like that. :lol:

EllePixie

I just realized this today when I let my hair down to wear out, then felt like it was rubbing against my clothes and put it in a bun. When my hair was shorter I realized that I only wore it out because I had to, meaning it wasn't long enough to look good in a ponytail or bun. Previously, when my hair was longer, I was Queen of the Messy Bun. I think I only wear my natural hair out b/c it shrinks to my chin and is difficult to put in a ponytail. When it's longer I'm sure I'll be wearing it up the same way unless I'm going out on the weekend.

iri9109

i usually wear my hair out (loose, not straight) everyday because i cowash almost every day and i like to let my hair dry loose because if i put it in a puff or ponytail while its wet a.) its not big enough & b.) my hair gets too stretched out...sometimes i can feel the ends of my hair around my nape rubbing on my coat or sweater collars and it makes me paranoid...but if im stretching a WnG or wearing a twistout i'll usually pin it up some kind of way or put it in a ponytail...when my hair gets longer i'll probably mostly wear buns or updo's and only leave my hair out on special occasions, or during the summer when its not going to be rubbing all over harsh materials.

Curlykale

In the weekends... As during the week I don't want to focus on styling and I like to take a break from haircare and spend the free time doing other things. Especially when I am experimenting with products and homemade mixes.

When I use the right stuff and style it really well and it is properly moisturized, I wear my hair down more often. like 40% of the time in a week.

I find that, if I moisturized, replenished, styled, and protected or baggied my hair every night I could easily wear my hair down everyday without problems.

Janet'

I only wear my hair straight/down around length checks or when I'm doing something special (like I was in a friend's wedding and she requested straight hair)...I will get to a point when I wear my hair straight/down more often but even then it won't be everyday...I like my curlies...

theLovelyStyle

I dont straighten my hair except on relaxed days for a length check. Ill only wear my hair down if they are not rubbing against my clothes.

MizAvalon

Hardly ever. I mostly wear it cornrowed under wigs.

I miss my hair sometimes. I still get the feeling of flowy hair though because of the wigs.

mischka

shrinkage.
I'm going to straighten my hair today... planned not to straighten it again until Graduation in June... but I'm bored today lol

Fyne

I've got a short bob so I wear it out mostly but sometimes I tuck the ends in at the back with a clip and have the the front of my hair out.

mischka

shrinkage.
I would wear my hair down a lot more frequently if I could. The front of my hair is still damaged and broken off from sew ins, so I really can't do anything with it except pull it back and my head is too big to pull that look off, so I end up being forced to wear a ponytail...... I want my bangs back so badly :cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3:

Prudent1

For length checking purposes maybe once a quarter? That's pretty much it unless there's a very special occasion. By down, I mean straightened and loose. I like my curls, waves, and various textures:yep: more than I like straight flowy hair.

LongLeggedLife

Everyday...unless I was too tired/lazy to tighten up my twist out the night before, in which case I bun it with some chopsticks that day, which happens maybe twice a month.

Well wait, I just re-read the question...I consider a bantu knot out/twist out/braidout to be letting my hair down LOL---I only straighten it about a week out of the month??

EccentricRed

When I straighten my hair I will wear it down for maybe a day. And it's normally for a specific purpose, like if I have a function to go to or something...