• Once every other week.

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Once a month.

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Once every 6-8 weeks.

Votes: 32 11.2%
  • Once every 12 weeks.

Votes: 38 13.3%
  • Only for a specific reason/event (e.g., need a cut, going to a wedding, etc.)

Votes: 80 28.1%
  • Never - I am completely self-styled!

Votes: 80 28.1%

• Total voters
I voted never... I haven't been to a professional stylist in over 2 years.
not saying that I won't ever go... but at this point I haven't been. Though I will probably get some twists(synthetic) in about a month.

I haven't been to the salon in almost five years.

I'll go to one recommended by LHCF if I have to attend a very special event.

I do everything myself, including the relaxer. My sister, who is a stylist, trims my hair, currently that's about once a year.

I've done away with regular visits to see a stylist. Right now it's only for special occasions. To be able to say that feels so freeing to me. And my hair has been flourishing.

When I had a relaxer, I used to go 3-4 times a year for touch-ups. Then I started stretching and going once a year. Now salon visits are just for random trims like once every 18-24 months.

I voted every two weeks. I love the whole salon experience; but I am learning how to do alot of things myself in between visits. I just dont like dealing with my hair all the time so if I can pay someone who knows what there doing why not.

in the last few years only once. I'm going for a consult on vacation braids and to check out the salon this week. I may also very well go the braidout way if these folks aren't up to my standards.

-A

When I want my hair braided down, I go every 6 to 8 weeks. If I'm DIY'ing, then I only go on a need to basis, for trims and whatnot.

Last edited:
Well....it's really only for trims and special special occasions. After my latest mishap, I'll be going back to me myself and I....that's all I got in the end...so from now on I'ma be my own sty-list!

I go once every 12 weeks for my relaxer. My stylist always complains...she says you need to come in more often and get your hair relaxed every 4-6 weeks. I just smile and do the same thing next time. I'm not going to be bullied into relaxing more often or going to her for deep conditions when I know my hair does well with my methods.

I haven't been to a salon since 2002 and even then it wasn't a real salon. This lady at my church did hair and she had a shop. Even then I only went for her to give me a relaxer and that was every 3 months.

I'm a DIY'er.

Used to go every other week until I found out about this site! I haven't seen my beautician since my last relaxer 6 weeks ago and i'm gonna stretch this relaxer as looong as i can before i can see her.

Now that this site has helped, i can confidently take care of my own hair AND save money.

Used to go every other week until I found out about this site! I haven't seen my beautician since my last relaxer 6 weeks ago and i'm gonna stretch this relaxer as looong as i can before i can see her.

Now that this site has helped, i can confidently take care of my own hair AND save money.
This is me too. Now I go for t-ups at 12 weeks only. It's weird how I totally forgot how to do all of the things to my hair that I used to do. This site gave me confidence to do it again and it was just like riding a bike--it all came back--just this time I have loads more knowledge.

I voted for a specific reason. It depends on the season and what's going on in my life.

I went 3 times this summer because of travel and a relaxer. I don't dress up for the airplane, but my hair will be done. :grin:

For the most part, I'll only go for things I can't do myself, like a relaxer and a trim. It's it not that I don't feel empowered to do so. You ladies empowered me enough, but I just screwed up on the self-relaxing parts.

I will probably go three times in the next 6 months. 1) Trim and 6-month strech prep 2) Birthday 3) Relaxer. After my birthday and before my relaxer, I'll get braids put in by a friend. At least that's the plan anyway.

Once my mother who was a hairdresser left Paris, I started to do most of my haircare alone. So I am self sufficient.
However my hair has recently reached the waist and it requires now 2 rollersets a week to keep sufficient style.
As I do not want to inflict the view of my giant rollerset to my husband more than once a week, I have taken the habit to go to the salon just after work on wednesday. I leave work a little earlier that day. I am very lucky as I found an north-african salon, where rollersetting is still the basic for long hair.
I also visit salons when I am on a professional travel. As more and more salons are not really well equipped for that kind of stuff, I have taken the habit to travel with my rollers ...which is a little cumbersome.

Back